PDA

View Full Version : Spacer lift ?

Cwish
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
If I do a 2 inch spacer lift and I add a 3 inch lift in the summer can I do that so I get a 5 inch lift. Just add the two together I'm just confused the 2 inch spacer lift has add a leaf and I'm getting spring packs so should I get a 2 inch shackle for the rear and just add the 3 inch spring packs

bigjim350
11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Yep thats what i would do for the rear. just get the 2" shackles. will work fine. 5" of lift might be a bit much for stock control arms though. Which 3" lift ya looking at?

Cwish
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Zone I think I reallllly don't wanna fork out long arms

bigjim350
11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Nothing wrong with short arms. I have 6.5" on short arms and it does great for me. If the arms that come with the lift are set up for 3" lift, adding 2" may make your axle sit a little further back in the wheel well.

Cwish
11-23-2011, 10:57 PM
So should I get 5 inch control arms

bigjim350
11-23-2011, 11:01 PM
In my opinion I would just save up the money and only lift it once at the height you want to end up with. That way you buy a kit that comes with everything set up the way it needs to be for that size lift. I was looking at the zone 3" lift and it doesnt look like it comes with any control arms. So if you end up going with 5" i would for sure look at getting either adjustable control arms or 4.5" control arms (don't know of anybody that makes some for 5")

Cwish
11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Well damn I guess I'll just wait till summer and do the 4.5 lift andddd bigjim I love your slp man it sounds good. If I don't do the 2 inch spacer I'm gettin the slp and some rigids for my light bar

bigjim350
11-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Well if ya dont wait on the lift I totally understand. I installed a 2" bb lift on mine 1 week before i installed the 6.5" lift lol. Thanks for the compliment. Just a hint, check you your local exhaust shops for a used one. The mustang guys used to love these mufflers but now they have moved on to a different one, so there are lots of used ones laying around.

Cwish
11-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Alright I will I'm gettin rid of those damn cats too just my .02 to going green bitches lol

4.3LXJ
11-23-2011, 11:34 PM
If you are going for 4.5 or 5" you can piece together the rear no problem. But on the front, you should go for whatever height you want to end up with. The problem comes with what arms you use. For instance, many 3" lifts use the stock arms. Add 2" to that and you will have a positive castor angle which may cause you death wobble. Not saying it will, but it is common when doing that. Also, if you can, you might want to save for the long arm upgrade. At that height they ride much better with the longer arms.

Firemanray
11-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Here's a link to the page in my build showing my spacer lift:
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5172&page=4
I originally had a 2" spacer + 2.5" over coils. I replaced the spacer with this homemade jobber to get 6.5" lift. I have stock upper controls and Pro-comp lowers. Worked out real nice.

Mudderoy
11-25-2011, 06:15 AM
We have a member that did the "budget" lift route, then got really serious about his rig. Got long arms and some really good flex. Only problem was when he flexed it really good, the spacers along with the springs fell out. :smiley-laughing021: I searched, but I can't find the picture right now.

Yep there is good reason, mostly financial, to go with the size lift you want up front and not try to cheat your way there.

RTPG
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Just add the two together I'm just confused the 2 inch spacer lift has add a leaf and I'm getting spring packs so should I get a 2 inch shackle for the rear and just add the 3 inch spring packs
I would not recommend adding an add-a-leaf to an aftermarket lifted spring pack.

IMO: The extended shackle lifts are a better idea if the aftermarket lifted spring pack isn't giving you the lift you want.

cbush314
12-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Definitely do a shackle flip in the rear, Mine has the two inch add a leaf with two inch blocks. Rides like crap...