PDA

View Full Version : old school cooling fan advice?....

pvt.tadpolxj
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
My xj is totaly OEM.. under the hood, and i have heard of some removing the clutch from the cooling fan and putting in a spacer and running the factory fan straight...Will this have any downside's, or will this cause any other issue's? I am trying to improve my cooling system without having to spend a lot...Thank's scott...:driving:

4.3LXJ
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes it will improve the amount of air going across the radiator at low speeds and at idle. The clutch fans all slip a little. The original intent of the clutch fan was the same as the electric fans, slight increase in milage.

Carves
11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
X 2 with 4.3LXJ

You might notice ....
a slight fuel consumption increase,
fan noise increase,
and a drop in engine power according to the butt-dyno.

Lots of faerie stories out there about huge fuel and HP variations .... but none seem to be supported with proper facts and figures pertaining to the XJ .. ;)

Would be nice if someone did a - before and after, Dyno test on HP outputs .... hint hint .. :D

pvt.tadpolxj
11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank's a million......I think i should give this a try....My Xj tend's to run a little hot in the summer time....:rolleye0012:

Firemanray
11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
You could do a Grand Cherok fan clutch upgrade. I did it and it helped alot. The fan will still "relax" a bit at higher rpm's. You could add a flex fan, it to will pull lots of air at lower rpm's and relax at higher rpm's.