PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for when buying a XJ.

prerunner1982
11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Thought maybe we could put together a thread of common issues with XJ's for those that may come here looking for info before they buy a Cherokee.

Rusted Floors/Rockers (crawl underneath to inspect, replacement floor panels available)
Door hinges pulling away from body (more common on 2doors due to extra weight of door)
Inop Gauges (Typically connector plug at rear of gauges, redesign plug should be available through Jeep dealer)
Seat frame weld break (seat will rock, reweld or replace)
Crank Position Sensor (Causes engine to crank but not start, mounted at rear of engine on top of bell housing)

Add on guys... perhaps this will be worthy enough to sticky.

Firemanray
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Great idea for a thread!!:thumbsup:

Any Xj with my name as a previous owner.:D

bigjim350
11-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Oil leaks from the rear main seal, valve cover gasket, and oil filter adapter.
Broken bolts on the rear upper shock mount.
00-01 prone to cracked heads.
Green is the only color you should buy :)

cpttuna
11-25-2011, 07:16 PM
After having purchased 7 XJ's, I consider how much $ I'm having to put into the vehicle to get it to the point where I can live with it. This is based on what I can actually see. I do not waste my time on any XJ that has been neglected in my opinion. If the oil on the dipstick is black and cruddy and after opening the radiator cap I see brown, I' done looking.

LizardRunner
11-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I go all around the vehicle first, then under the hood followed by under the vehicle. This way I get a fair idea of any rust problems with the body, repaired damage or not repaired damage, condition of maintenance by po or co determined by oil leaks, oil condition, powersteering, brake fluid levels, raidiator, rear seal, exaust system, all the joints are checked for play as is the transfer case, play there might be a stretched chain. I also check the fit of the doors for hinge wear/abuse.

Firemanray
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
High mileage with heavy brake pedal pad wear = lots of stop and go = wear and tear.

XJ Wheeler
11-25-2011, 08:31 PM
On models with vacuum disconnect Dana 30 check the 4wd. The vacuum line is prone to leaking. Simple fix, but a good haggling point.

Jarlaxle
11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Body cracking. I have seen them crack on top of the B-pillars, at the suspension mounts, and the hatch hinges...usually only on high-mile XJ's.

Joliet Johnny
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Pull the trans dipstick and smell it, if it smells burnt may not be a good one to buy. I forgot to function check the power locks and cruise on my '99 so they dont work. I got mine cause it was red and very clean on its belly for a car from the rust belt.

jccatt
11-30-2011, 03:21 PM
I always buy a family car that has all service books and then wheel it to death:D

Green Jeep Mobile

Mudderoy
11-30-2011, 04:50 PM
With the engine running take the oil cap off and look for escaping oily gases, would indicate worn rings and blow by. (msmoorenburg taught me this one).

Test drive with the windows down so you can listen to the wheel bearing assemblies. A new set of TimKen are $150, another way to get some money off the purchase price. If you can get the front end up in the air, wiggle the tires/wheels to see if there is any play in the bearings, or knuckles.

Check to see if the front drive shaft is installed!!!! Front drive shaft is about $80 shipped from ebay.

Pull the carpet up and see if any of the floor plugs are missing or not seated correctly, this could be an indication that large amount of water has been inside the vehicle.

Work the electric locks and power windows. Electric locks for the 97+ are anywhere from $90 to $150 depending on which one it is. I had to replace 3 in the 1999 and 1 in the 1998, cost me $400!!!!!!

bigjim350
12-01-2011, 04:10 AM
With the engine running take the oil cap off and look for escaping oily gases, would indicate worn rings and blow by. (msmoorenburg taught me this one).

Test drive with the windows down so you can listen to the wheel bearing assemblies. A new set of TimKen are $150, another way to get some money off the purchase price. If you can get the front end up in the air, wiggle the tires/wheels to see if there is any play in the bearings, or knuckles.

Check to see if the front drive shaft is installed!!!! Front drive shaft is about $80 shipped from ebay.

Pull the carpet up and see if any of the floor plugs are missing or not seated correctly, this could be an indication that large amount of water has been inside the vehicle.

Work the electric locks and power windows. Electric locks for the 97+ are anywhere from $90 to $150 depending on which one it is. I had to replace 3 in the 1999 and 1 in the 1998, cost me $400!!!!!!

Geez if anybody read tony's post, nobody would buy mine. Good info though

cherokeewrecker
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
If rear axle has rubber plug on it check diff. oil to see if its low, empty...etc. Rust above the windshield...

prerunner1982
12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
How could we forget...

Cracked Exhaust manifold. Will cause a ticking sound. Sound may be quieter as vehicle warms up.

uberxj92
12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
early models with vac disco front dana 30 turd.
any d35 turd in the rear.
all 1997 electrical disaster year ( even if that one year has the best engine in it).
rear passenger floor board above muffler likes to rust.