PDA

View Full Version : need to swap positions between alt & a/c on 92 xj

uberxj92
11-22-2011, 10:05 AM
has anyone done this? i need to swap my a/c & alternator positions. i go thru way too many alternators down on the bottom of the motor & the money part of it is ridiculous now. especially since discount auto WILL NOT honor the lifetime warranties they charge you for.
are there any brackets either stock off of another vehicle or aftermarket?

cantab27
11-22-2011, 10:48 AM
why are ya killing ya alts...what are ya playing in......i chew through ac pumps on 3rd , never had a problem with alt but......and am always in water and mud....

LizardRunner
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking you will need to custom fabricate the mounting bracket.

xj4life2
11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
i've heard that you can use the bracket off a 4cyl XJ to swap positions but can't remember for sure. Do a search on NAXJA . Mabey it was a wrangler ??? It can be done and there is a bracket available I just can't remember which one sorry

WyoXJ
11-23-2011, 07:15 AM
I read some where that the wrangler has the alt and ac swapped. Thought it said you could use the brackets off of the the 4.0 to do it on the XJ. But I have not looked at one myself. Might be worth a look.

4.3LXJ
11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
I was going to suggest the Wrangler brackets too. But you will have to also put an electric fan in place of your offset mechanical fan to do it.

XJ4IV
11-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Id call Discount auto's head something or other and complain, those people warranty the item and doesnt say anything about how you USE it. Id raise hell if they did that to me over a $100+ part... Id get my money bcak first and foremost and just buy one from Autozone cause even though they are crap they WILL honor them no matter what, those guys are trained to NOT ask what happened

uberxj92
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks for the inputs. Cantab27: i use it in swampy Florida mud & sugar sand.

i am having a local welding/fab shop look into building custom brackets.

i am trying to find YJ's, TJ's, 2.5l XJ's in boneyards. no luck yet. but i am not giving up yet LOL.

i took the bad alternator back to discount & they tested it & it was at 1/2 output. they brought out a new one & rang it up $125. LOL i told them to give me the old one back. then i took it to an auto eletric shop in town here & they are rebuilding it & upping the output for $150.

i will keep you guys updated

Mudderoy
11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
What about a shield to protect the alternator from what ever is getting into it? I was thinking about putting something on mine to keep the crap out.

prerunner1982
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I have thought about moving the Alt up on top as well, but since I have no A/C it would not be as hard to do as yours. Keep us updated.

4.3LXJ
11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I have thought about moving the Alt up on top as well, but since I have no A/C it would not be as hard to do as yours. Keep us updated.

We had a member on here long ago who had done this. Voldemort is his ID. Not sure what thread it was, maybe his build thread. Anyway he converted his AC bracket to use his alternator there. No AC on his afterward. But he did have his alternator up top.

4.3LXJ
11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I am going to make a suggestion here about how you can do it. It won't be for everyone. But if a welder is going to get involved, then this is a viable solution. This is a pic of my AC and OBA compressor. I built it to accept a Sanden AC compressor instead of the GM compressor because they are supposed to be shit. To get this side by side arrangement is not as hard as you might think. The same could be done for an alternator. I took a heavy steel plate and drilled it for the old pattern in front and then drilled it for the new pattern desired, in your case the alternator. Then I built up a place for an idler pulley and "milled" it with a hole saw in my swing table on my drill press. Drilled and tapped for a bolt I now had a new custom made bracket.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0073.jpg

Dirt Dogg Rydas
11-28-2011, 10:08 PM
That looks good.
Do you have any pics of the adapter itself

4.3LXJ
11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
That looks good.
Do you have any pics of the adapter itself

Not right now. It is just a flat piece of steel I have been kicking around on the floor. It has four holes and a notch in it. Nothing dramatic. That is the point, it wasn't that hard if you can weld on your aluminum bracket.