PDA

View Full Version : Wood Grain (real veneer)

Wagonrunner
11-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Not sure if this would go under modifications or OEM, but here goes.

I am looking to repaint the Waggy this winter,but dont want the vinyl woodgrain decals, to me they just dont look right, was thinking of using veneer instead.

Does anyone know of a vendor that can provide these? i can cut to fit, just looking for a placet o buy in bulk to replace the original vinyl.

Thanks

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM
This is a good supplier that I use. http://www.constantines.com/veneer.aspx

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 02:45 PM
:wow:, a real woody

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Real wood is the bomb. I am doing part of my dash (po broke the dang insert when he installed a new radio) and am probably going to use some type of burl or crotch wood for that section of my dash. On that exterior, I'd make templates in hard board then cut the veneer. You will probably be best off if you apply a marine poly finish or automotive clear coat to the outfacing side prior to gluing on too.

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Real wood is the bomb. I am doing part of my dash (po broke the dang insert when he installed a new radio) and am probably going to use some type of burl or crotch wood for that section of my dash. On that exterior, I'd make templates in hard board then cut the veneer. You will probably be best off if you apply a marine poly finish or automotive clear coat to the outfacing side prior to gluing on too.

Chip, I thought about the dash too. I have really nice burl wood tables made from the whole maple burl that weigh in at hundreds of pounds. Wife doesn't like them and they are out in the garage collecting dust and spiders. I thought a nice solid burl dash might be the ticket too.

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I want some !! I absolutely love maple burl. (I'm so jealous lol) I'd think some thin slabs would allow fitting to the plastic dash angles and diminsions. Something around 3/16 th inch then smoothed on the face then a good poly finish in clear. then some molding plane work and Ta-Da!

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah. I am tempted. If I could get more like I used to all the time, I wouldn't hesitate. I used to cut lots of firewood and log. They were felled and left in the woods. I would bring home some good ones about twice a year. I left a 7' diameter in OR when I moved because I didn't have a place for it. It was so heavy I had to push it into the pickup with my Cat.

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
dang.. no worries, I can get some pre cut and planed.

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
How about burl wood sides instead of wood grain sides?

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Now that would be ummmm what's the word????? awesome

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Now that would be ummmm what's the word????? awesome

Move over Jaguar. Your daddy has come to town

Wagonrunner
11-16-2011, 11:01 PM
thanks for the suggestions, and burl would be cool, I may have some maple or birch out in the wood shop,will have to look into that.....

LizardRunner
11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Well then, there ya go Scott. We want pics of the project along the way of course.

4.3LXJ
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree. This would be very interesting. No plastic print can match real wood.