PDA

View Full Version : 93 pcv valve help

JTProuhet
11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I just bought a 93 XJ with 198k. It smokes at an idle and only at an idle.. the pcv I believe is all gummed up. I pulled the hose off at the valve. Engine idled higher obviously because of the vacuum leak. But as soon as I pulled it off I noticed blow by coming out of the front elbow. What is the pcv valves purpose? Does it need to be hooked up or can the vacuum line at the intake manifold be capped and just put a regular elbow in place of the valve and run a hose down the block for a blow by? Excuse me if any of that sounded noobish but that's what I an lol my first jeep and no ons that I know, knows anything about it. My next thing is to do the seafoam in the oil, and vacuum system and then pull the valve cover.. I'm just looking for info on it to hopefully cure the smoky idle issue. Thanks

JTProuhet
11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Pushed the wrong button on this comment

xj4life2
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
The PCV valve is there to vent pressure out of the crankcase area , you need it hooked up to save the motor. the pcv is hooked to the intake manifold and at that connection is normally where the trouble is . Remove the hose and using a 1/8 drill bit run it into the hole and ream it clean then replace the PCV valve (actually called a orifice) also check the hoses to be sure none are clogged or collapsing. Hope this gets it !!!

JTProuhet
11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
The PCV valve is there to vent pressure out of the crankcase area , you need it hooked up to save the motor. the pcv is hooked to the intake manifold and at that connection is normally where the trouble is . Remove the hose and using a 1/8 drill bit run it into the hole and ream it clean then replace the PCV valve (actually called a orifice) also check the hoses to be sure none are clogged or collapsing. Hope this gets it !!!

Thank you! I will try that. I was just about to go buy every elbow and hose.. that way sounds cheaper

JTProuhet
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Well neither napa, the zone, or Oreillys has the elbow. Had a lady at the zone try arguing with me telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about when I told her what I was looking for. Then I went outside, pulled it off and took it to her and all she said was.. "huh...." But regardless autozone can't even get it (I found a part number off here later and called and they said their distributor is out) napa said it'd take 2 weeks and was $8 a piece, I went to rockauto.com and bought 2 of them for $9 shipped. So when those come in looks like I will be pulling the valve cover as well and cleaning.it up..

On another note I was gonna order a new valve cover gasket from them as well, $4 for the gasket..... $22 to ship it..

JTProuhet
11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I also just got to thinking.. if the replacement elbows are just that.. an elbow, why couldn't a guy just drill the faulty one out?

4.3LXJ
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Well neither napa, the zone, or Oreillys has the elbow. Had a lady at the zone try arguing with me telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about when I told her what I was looking for. Then I went outside, pulled it off and took it to her and all she said was.. "huh...." But regardless autozone can't even get it (I found a part number off here later and called and they said their distributor is out) napa said it'd take 2 weeks and was $8 a piece, I went to rockauto.com and bought 2 of them for $9 shipped. So when those come in looks like I will be pulling the valve cover as well and cleaning.it up..

On another note I was gonna order a new valve cover gasket from them as well, $4 for the gasket..... $22 to ship it..

I try to stay away from autozone. They are pretty much an oil and wax parts store staffed by minimum wage database punchers. Yo need to find a real parts store.

JTProuhet
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh I don't frequent the zone.. I only go there on last resort. I go to Oreillys first. Id go to napa more, but there isn't that many stores around here.

JTProuhet
11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Just for future reference, the dealer sells a new ccv/pcv WITH orifice for $5...

xj4life2
11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I try to stay away from autozone. They are pretty much an oil and wax parts store staffed by minimum wage database punchers. Yo need to find a real parts store.

So Steve could you tell us how you realyy feel ??? I'm hurt I was with Chief Auto for 21yrs what does that make me ???:smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I notice you are not there now. Should I congratulate you or would you like to cry on my shoulder?

dagr8tim
11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I've seen a PCV get gummed up and not open. Normally I'll pop mine off and spray it with some intake cleaner every once in awhile. I like to make sure the thing inside moves when you shake it.

JTProuhet
11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I've seen a PCV get gummed up and not open. Normally I'll pop mine off and spray it with some intake cleaner every once in awhile. I like to make sure the thing inside moves when you shake it.

Mine definately didn't move at all. I thought about cleaning it.. but for $5 for a new one.. ill just replace it.. and I tried getting a new vc gasket from the dealer and they said they don't offer one and said to use rtv.. rock auto sells one for like $4 but they charge u $30 just to ship it...

JTProuhet
11-18-2011, 12:31 PM
And just future heads up, dealer calls it a tube with orifice.. part number is
53030492 (1/4 turn model)

dagr8tim
11-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Another thing I've seen for blow by is putting an inline oil separator on the hose (like is used on air compressors). Every so often dump the oil from it back into the crankcase.

JTProuhet
11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Another thing I've seen for blow by is putting an inline oil separator on the hose (like is used on air compressors). Every so often dump the oil from it back into the crankcase.

Good idea!