PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case/transmission/front diff?? HELP!!

ambitious98xj
11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Hello Ya'll, So, somethings going on with my transfer case or transmission, something w/ the 4wd. It is not seeming to disengage from 4wd, and is making a whining noise. I'm also sensing it catch and let go from the front drive, as it pulls me toward the right off and on. I'm also smelling what i think is a gear oil smell. I'm not seeing any leaks, and have tried driving it in reverse, forward, everything in every gear option. Does anyone have anything they could suggest? I don't wanna take it to the shop But it's very worriesome to me. I need my Jeep! 1998 4.0L XJ w/ SelecTrac 4wd

ironmanandy
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Check your linkages on your shifter. Is the jeep lifted and the T case dropped? if so the linkage may be out. Is it locked in the front? if so It may pull under power. Sway bar? if not makes the wanders worse. the linkage is fine turn off jeep with trans in neutral. Disconnect linkage and manually shift into 2wd. Make sure its in 2wd by lifting front end and spinning driveshaft while in park.

If 2wd will not engage and it skips hard do not drive until diagnosed. IF you must drive it remove front drive shaft until proper repair can be made

Andy

4.3LXJ
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Something most don't know is that the lever engages the front end by positive force. It is disengaged with only a little spring inside. You have to have all the forces off the drive train before it will disengage. Also, if you haven't checked already, compare the tags on the differentials to see if you have the right gear ratios. I had this problem with a Toyota that had 4.27s in the rear and 4.10 in the front.

ambitious98xj
11-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Check your linkages on your shifter. Is the jeep lifted and the T case dropped? if so the linkage may be out. Is it locked in the front? if so It may pull under power. Sway bar? if not makes the wanders worse. the linkage is fine turn off jeep with trans in neutral. Disconnect linkage and manually shift into 2wd. Make sure its in 2wd by lifting front end and spinning driveshaft while in park.

If 2wd will not engage and it skips hard do not drive until diagnosed. IF you must drive it remove front drive shaft until proper repair can be made

Andy

It's pretty much a stock Jeep w/ just a 2" lift (poly spacers in front and shackles in rear).. Thank you for the advice, i'll see what i can find out!

XJ4IV
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
yeah could be slipped linkage! I agree with ya andy that is a pain in the butt, and almost a HUGE pain is getting it exaclty where it is supposed to be, I know this might sound bad of me to say, but i took mine to a stealership and got the linkage adjusted properly yeah I paid out the nose for it... but its covered for 12 months LOL and on month 11 I intend on letting it out a bit