PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my first XJ!

JTProuhet
11-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Just made my first Cherokee purchase! It's a 93 sport 4dr 4x4 auto 198k. Little lift, not sure the brand but it has skyjacker shocks and a skyjacker stabilizer. It runs great shifts great. The water pump started leaking this morning on the po.. the driver side rocker is pretty rusted and the floor pans need a little attention but oh well..I've come to realize that anything this old is gonna need floor pans. But the interior is clean. Couple oil leaks nothing to bad. I just got done changing the water pump and thermostat in it. And everything is good. What I got to thinking tho, on the gauge cluster, there is only a fuel gauge and a speedometer.. but then there is just a light for charging, oil pressure and coolant.. why doesn't it have actual gauges? http://img.tapatalk.com/a6898d79-9b95-6f0e.jpg but I got it for $1900.. oh and I

cantab27
11-14-2011, 02:16 AM
coolies on the buy....them there are some big sliders.............what plans if any on future mods...thanks for the pic..

saar
11-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Nice one, have fun.
If you are going to do some off road with it, you might want to change the rocker panels and put them a little closer to the panels of the jeep.
Saar

JTProuhet
11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
the running boards are coming off lol I am not sure what the first thing I'm gonna do to it is.. I just want to make sure that it is in perfectly good running condition before I put money into mods..

JTProuhet
11-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Also something I just noticed, is it is burning oil, I never noticed it when I test drove it and was looking it over, but I had it sitting there idling when I was picking my fiance up and I noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm pretty sure that the pcv needs to be replaced as the hose going to the air box is very oily and it got a little oil in the air filter, I'm gonna be putting a different intake on it so that will eliminate the hose going to the air filter. But the guy I bought it from said it didn't use any oil.. the oil was just changed last week in it at valvoline.. what's your alls opinions on the oil burning subject? Something that needs attention or an easy fix? Or just don't worry about it and drive it like normal?

XJ Wheeler
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM
In reference to the gauges. The cluster like you have with the big fuel gauge was standard, and the full gauges being an option. You can swap out for a full gauge cluster no problem.

Edit: If you do want to do the gauge swap make sure you get a cluster from a '91-'96 as they have a digital speedometer, earlier XJ's had cable driven ones. You will also have to change out the temperature sending unit and the oil pressure sending unit for ones compatible with gauges NOT lights.

bluedragon436
11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Looks like a pretty good purchase... Welcome to the addiction we call Jeep!!... As far as the oil burning situation.. I would def. change out the PCV.. not saying that will help the situation.. but it def. can't hurt.. especially if you ending up with oil on your air filter.. I am almost wondering if it might not be a slight bit of blow by on the rings..

XJ Wheeler
11-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh yeah, welcome and nice buy. Watch out for the greenies on here, they're allergic to red.

Mudderoy
11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
the running boards are coming off lol I am not sure what the first thing I'm gonna do to it is.. I just want to make sure that it is in perfectly good running condition before I put money into mods..

Yeah I was just going to tell you if you are going to take it off road get rid of those nerf bars first.

:welcome: to the site!

BlueXJ
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I think it is a very good looking Jeep but those side steps are hideous.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Just made my first Cherokee purchase! It's a 93 sport 4dr 4x4 auto 198k. Little lift, not sure the brand but it has skyjacker shocks and a skyjacker stabilizer. It runs great shifts great. The water pump started leaking this morning on the po.. the driver side rocker is pretty rusted and the floor pans need a little attention but oh well..I've come to realize that anything this old is gonna need floor pans. But the interior is clean. Couple oil leaks nothing to bad. I just got done changing the water pump and thermostat in it. And everything is good. What I got to thinking tho, on the gauge cluster, there is only a fuel gauge and a speedometer.. but then there is just a light for charging, oil pressure and coolant.. why doesn't it have actual gauges

XJs came with and without gauges. For your first improvement you might want to consider adding the instrument cluster. To do that you can pick up one at a wrecking yard and change the oil pressure and water temp sensors too, also available at wrecking yards. Then it becomes a plug and play mod with an afternoons work.

JTProuhet
11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
XJs came with and without gauges. For your first improvement you might want to consider adding the instrument cluster. To do that you can pick up one at a wrecking yard and change the oil pressure and water temp sensors too, also available at wrecking yards. Then it becomes a plug and play mod with an afternoons work.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. My biggest concern now is if I bought a money pit meaning if the motor is on its last leg. I'm gonna try swapping the pcv valve and see if that helps with the smoke.. where can you buy one? Oreillys doesn't even have a part number for it.. I'm hoping that the pcv allowed some oil to get into the intake and is just burning that oil off.. my luck probably not and it would need a complete overhaul..

4.3LXJ
11-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Thank you guys for all the feedback. My biggest concern now is if I bought a money pit meaning if the motor is on its last leg. I'm gonna try swapping the pcv valve and see if that helps with the smoke.. where can you buy one? Oreillys doesn't even have a part number for it.. I'm hoping that the pcv allowed some oil to get into the intake and is just burning that oil off.. my luck probably not and it would need a complete overhaul..

There is a little plastic elbow on the rear of the valve cover. It is restrictive and when it gets clogged, it causes that oil to go into the air box. Watch it though, they are fragile.

JTProuhet
11-14-2011, 11:06 AM
What do you suggest doing? Pulling the valve cover and replacing the valve cover gasket while I'm at it? The elbow that connects to the airbox is on the front of my valve cover?

4.3LXJ
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
That would be a good idea. Those valve cover gaskets fail after a long time anyway. Then you wouldn't have to remove it. You will also be able to see how much crud you have up top and get an idea of its previous maintenance.

prcjeep
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
nice Jeep! Sorry about the color though... Is this going to be a daily driver or a second vehicle?

Weldmen
11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Um? :timeout: first thing I would do is paint it GREEN..

XJMJeep
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
My biggest concern now is if I bought a money pit

Of course you bought a money pit, it's a Jeep!
but that's half the fun is turning it into what you want.
At less than 200k I wouldn't be too worried about an overhaul and the gauge swap is very easy, took me about 2hrs & $50 in parts. What took the longest was trying to find one as close to my original miles I could but that was just my preference.

Welcome to the addiction!

bigjim350
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't think its gonna be a bad pcv causing it to smoke. If it only smokes while at idle and start up it will be bad valve seals. If it smokes under acceleration it will be piston rings. If its valve seals it is an easy fix or you could just live with it cause it won't hurt nothing. If its the rings, start saving for a rebuild. However the ol 4.0 will still probably run for a while.........longer if it was green :)

JTProuhet
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Lmao thanks guys. Maybe ill understand the green vs red thing.. lol but yea it only smokes at an idle.. I never see any haze taking off or going down the rd.. in order to do the valve seals I will need to have someone there that knows how to adjust valves correct ? Cause I don't know the first thing about adjusting valves.. but I can do just about anything.. and if I do the valve seals, so you guys recommend pressurizing the cylinder or pulling the head and replace the head gasket while I'm at it? I can't stand the smoke.. it makes me feel like im driving around a hunk of crap even tho its not

bigjim350
11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Its an easy job. You dont have to adjust the valves on the 4.0, just torque the rockers down to spec.

JTProuhet
11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Alright thanks! Good to know! So do u reccomend pulling the head and replacing the head gasket while I'm at it or just pressurize the cylinder and don't worry about the hg til it starts leaking?

bluedragon436
11-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I myself would say if you are able to have it down long enough.. I would just go ahead and hit the HG up.. but that is just me.. sort of preventative maintenance while you already close to that point.. but others that have actually done these jobs on this engine (I've only got experience on Honda engines)... might have better insight on that question..

BrianXJ
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the buy and welcome to the site