PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help. Rev = shut off

One_Big_Midgett
11-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey folks. I have a problem with my Heep. When I shift it into reverse it shuts off and sometimes it won't start in Park. Any Ideas?

Mudderoy
11-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey folks. I have a problem with my Heep. When I shift it into reverse it shuts off and sometimes it won't start in Park. Any Ideas?

The won't start in park sounds like the neutral safety switch. Shutting off in reverse sounds like something other than a bad NSS.

XJ4IV
11-13-2011, 12:06 PM
yeah for the park no start... get a switch that works ONLY while being pushed called a momentary switch wire one end to the positive battery and the other side to the starter... problem solved MUCH easier than
A. getting TO the NSS
B. removing it
C. cleaning it
D. buying a new one!
as for the reverse issue... try your camshaft position sensor... I COULD be wrong here but Ive had one go bad on me and it did all kinds of odd behaviours
other than that I really cant tell ya, my folks had a dodge caravan that used to shut off when you let off the gas...might be the same issue, we fixed that by trading it in lol

One_Big_Midgett
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
yeah for the park no start... get a switch that works ONLY while being pushed called a momentary switch wire one end to the positive battery and the other side to the starter.

I have installed push button starts in every vehicle I have had since h.s. I was planning on putting one in the heep next summer, but it looks like it may be a little sooner.

4.3LXJ
11-13-2011, 08:05 PM
I have installed push button starts in every vehicle I have had since h.s. I was planning on putting one in the heep next summer, but it looks like it may be a little sooner.

There is another option. Just take the ground wire that goes to the NSS off the starter relay and put an eye on the end and a sheet metal screw through it and the key will work normally, except it will start in any gear. Mine is wired that way for wheeling reasons.

One_Big_Midgett
11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
There is another option. Just take the ground wire that goes to the NSS off the starter relay and put an eye on the end and a sheet metal screw through it and the key will work normally, except it will start in any gear. Mine is wired that way for wheeling reasons.

Not a bad idea, but what would be the advantages of being able to start in any gear for wheelin? Not being sarcastic just don't understand.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Not a bad idea, but what would be the advantages of being able to start in any gear for wheelin? Not being sarcastic just don't understand.

No, good question. I have several ranges in my Atlas tcase. I can stop on a hill, turn off the engine, change ranges, start it back up in just a few seconds. I think you will find getting into and out of low range with an automatic is much easier.