PDA

View Full Version : XJ door wiring problems, help solve 4eva

XJLUKE
11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
So I've posted this a few times and get mixed answers. I'm confused! It seems to be more predominant in '00 and '01 XJs than others. I'm attempting to compile info so I can make a pages and threads dedicated to these wiring issues that plague every XJ/ZJ owner. MAHALOS

#1 Issue> DRIVER Speaker cuts out when door is open some times goes on when closed some times not.
#2 Issue> Especially when it rains but not only, the passenger windows cut out, but driver master control still works. Ive checked and used electrode grease on the connectors and there is no tension from wiring on any of them.

The most common answers are; The wiring harness is to short, "pull it through". That dosent seems to work for any one.

The second answer Ive come across is bad wiring or wiring short. However no one ever explains what "bad wiring means" or where the short is.
What do these things mean and where precisely is the issue in the wiring?

? Is it actually badly constructed wiring, or has the wiring been compromised by damage or wear and where is it most commonly located in the section of the bundle of cables?

? If its a short or bad ground where are the grounds for these particular issues and where is the short in each specific wire.

?? Are these SPEAKER and WINDOW issues related/, i.e. are they caused by the same issue?

? What do you look for/what does this so called bad wiring look like?

? What is the solution/how do you best address these issues?

? What replacement wires do you need if so, i.e. what gage?

Considering all the posts Ive read the issues seem similar but different. The speaker issue happens weather its wet or dry. The passenger window cut out seems to be more prevalent when its been raining, when its dry for a while its not as much of an issue. In this case Id guess that there are damaged wires and water is shorting them, correct.
The speaker seems similar but Im not sure since there isnt one situation or an other that specifically causes it, though it the odds seem to make it happen more when its opened or closed.

LETS PUT THIS PROBLEM TO BED!!! Help me solve this issue and I'll post it in clearly worded form on every Cherokee Forum in a titled manner that will be easily found.
Please give me what info or solutions so I can redraft a PROPER questions, solutions, and answers page and thread.

ALSO, I dont have the time to set one up but why dont any forums have search engines that help you find the posts that particularly relate to your issues?

4.3LXJ
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Luke. The wiring in the door flexes and can eventually break. What you are experiencing is a break that will touch depending on position. It is not a short, that means it is going to ground which would burn a fuse.

Typically on the late XJs, the child safety switch that cuts out the other controls goes bad. You just need to take it out and bypass the switch. The moisture is just allowing it to not make proper contact.

cpttuna
11-16-2011, 01:54 PM
My speaker cut out. I added about a 6 inch piece of wiring to the speaker wire. That seemed to solve the problem. There does not seem to be the least amount of extra wire running between the door and the body. The slighest pull can cause you to have a bad connection.

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it's more a short wire loom problem than a real issue with the switches and speakers. I butt-spliced in some 6" sections and poof, my problems were solved. Now the window switches are indeed in a bad place moisture wise but that can be fixed by making a moisture shield out of 6 mil poly and some goop adhesive. cut and form a box like lower end cover then use the goop to seal the edges to the switch box and around the wire loom. Once that's cured, you should not have many moisture related problems any longer.

Ohio2001XJ
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I think it's more a short wire loom problem than a real issue with the switches and speakers. I butt-spliced in some 6" sections and poof, my problems were solved. Now the window switches are indeed in a bad place moisture wise but that can be fixed by making a moisture shield out of 6 mil poly and some goop adhesive. cut and form a box like lower end cover then use the goop to seal the edges to the switch box and around the wire loom. Once that's cured, you should not have many moisture related problems any longer.
I agree totally with Lizard and the others..I had to fix my XJ drivers door harness the 1st week I bought it. The wires are too short (added more wired like Lizard did) and everything has been cool since. Make sure you check the factory splices in that branch.(look for the shrink tube connecting 2 wires). I have at least 3 that were partially broken which caused my windows to work intermittently. Hell, one time I shut my door and the window automatically went down! (not a good situation.) Easy fix, just takes a little time...