PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Transfer Case Fill Plug

scubadvr
11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I've got a 242TC. Ok, so my fill plug won't budge. I tried and before I rounded out the plug I brought it my local axle shop. The guy there said he could get it off. Well, I guess they tried using their impact wrench at totally stripped the plug. Still won't move. Only thing I can think of doing is welding a nut on it and try that. I was thinking of using Loctite Epoxy Weld. Anyone else of some insight?

cantab27
11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
can ya drill a hole ad use easy outs...ya call them something else over there.....thats how i got the engine mount bolts that snapped off in the block.....

LizardRunner
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
So you're saying the plug walls are stripped so nothing can get a grab right? Did you start this process with PB Blaster or liquid wrench to the threads? if not then you may be able to heat the plug then chill it to get it to pop loose so it will come out with Wayne's easyout suggestion. I've used dry ice to shrink metal before works very well and cheeper than liquid nitrogen.

4.3LXJ
11-08-2011, 03:04 PM
If it is that stuck, an easy out won't do it. You will need to weld a new nut on it and try it while still very hot. Try it quickly because you don't want the aluminum to be too hot or it will strip the threads in it.

scubadvr
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I did spray it down with PB Blaster for a week. The shop totally stripped the walls, nothing to grab at.

Only smart thing I did was to try the fill plug first before draining it :)

ParadiseXJ
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I think I'd be putting a BIG complaint in at that shop. The TC says right on it..."do not use impact wrench". Now I'm all pissed off.

msmoorenburg
11-09-2011, 02:21 PM
I did spray it down with PB Blaster for a week. The shop totally stripped the walls, nothing to grab at.

Only smart thing I did was to try the fill plug first before draining it :)

I used a hammer and a punch on mine. I did have a replacement nearby so I just went to town till it broke loose