PDA

View Full Version : not a jeep question pathfinder???

Ross Clover
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
i just replaced the front crank shaft seal on my father in laws 97 pathfinder 3.3 liter after everything was done it ran for 30 minutes perfect went for test drive and seal now leaks constant stream was it not installed properly like not straight or to far in or out it has it spun out of place meaning either not right size or bad pcv causing too much crankcase pressure or would a groove in the crank cause this delay in leaking any help would be very much appreciated very much as there may be more than my pride of working on vehicles at stake here (i am in the doghouse tonight) thanks!!!!

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
That is one bad thing about working on family's cars, is when something else happens, that is out of your control.. Did the seal seem to fit in tightly when you installed it??

Ross Clover
11-06-2011, 07:10 PM
yes it fit just like the cam seals and they seam to be leak free they all sat a little deeper than the ones coming out but tight

bluedragon436
11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
hmm.. I would say if the ones you installed seemed to sit a little bit shallow compaired to the old ones.. then either they are the wrong ones.. or they just didn't go in all the way.. in which case.. I would think once the pressure was built up in the engine it would start leaking.. but not sure how it took that long..

Ross Clover
11-06-2011, 07:23 PM
would pcv being blocked cause enough pressure to blow the seal out

bigjim350
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes a bad pcv can cause that. Have seen it happen on a few chevy motors.