PDA

View Full Version : Lock Out Hubs

dagr8tim
11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking and wondering for awhile about converting my D30 to manual locking hubs. I've seen it done before on larger axles and that a kit exists for the D30.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. The kit is nearly the cost of two new unit bearings, and replacement bearings for the lock outs are fairly cheap. Seems like they'd pay for themselves in the long run.

Mudderoy
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I've been thinking and wondering for awhile about converting my D30 to manual locking hubs. I've seen it done before on larger axles and that a kit exists for the D30.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. The kit is nearly the cost of two new unit bearings, and replacement bearings for the lock outs are fairly cheap. Seems like they'd pay for themselves in the long run.

I have read...

Cons
No change in MPG
You have to get out and lock in the hubs if you want 4x4
PRICE!

Pros
Less wear on the transfer case since it would be disconnected from the wheels.
I think the wheel bearings are better at handling the larger tires.

Bottom line for me... It's not worth the expense especially since I have a NP242 with full time 4x4. I would have to remember to lock the hubs before driving in the rain, or pull over and do it.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
The kits use Bronco II parts, which you can get at a wrecking yard if you want. But the locking hubs are weak. You can blow one easily. They are not nearly as strong as say an old school D30 CJ hub.

dagr8tim
11-04-2011, 10:14 AM
The kits use Bronco II parts, which you can get at a wrecking yard if you want. But the locking hubs are weak. You can blow one easily. They are not nearly as strong as say an old school D30 CJ hub.

Hmm... If they're common parts, it might be easy to carry a trail spare or two. Thanks for the info. You've given me something to chew on.

JeepinOutfitters
11-04-2011, 11:02 AM
The hubs themselves are the same as what was used on the Bronco II. The spindles are not the same, nor are the bearings IIRC. At least that's how it is for the Yukon Freespin kit (formerly the Warn hub conversion).

I've got the Warn kit on my XJ and have been very happy with it. [knock on wood] I've yet to blow up a hub, even when I was running 36s (front end is locked via an ARB). I like to run hard trails, but I'm not abusive on my rig. Supposedly the hub should be a weaker link than the u-joint, and it's cheaper and easier to swap a hub than a set of broken axle shafts. It also let me continue to run my front driveshaft with a sloppy slip yoke without getting the associated driveline vibs on the road.

As far as having to get out and lock the hubs that just all depends on how you use your rig. For me it's not an issue because if I'm going to use 4WD, I'm also going to be out airing down my tires and disconnecting my swaybar, so locking in the hubs too is no big deal.

If you live in an area where you run in full-time 4WD a lot in the winter, you could simply leave the hubs locked in all the time during the winter.

All that said though, the kits are pricey, very pricey. The kit from Mile Marker is the least expensive one that I've seen, and it's still nearly $900. Compare that to $260 for a pair of new unit bearing hubs (last I checked), and you could buy a lot of replacement unit hubs for the cost of the manual kit.

bluedragon436
11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I wish they weren't so expensive.. I do like the option of being able to unlock the hubs if you have an issue in your front end.. and still for most issues, be able to drive it home.. But I can't see spending nearly $1000.. unles I was doing it professionally and making some killer money... or I just had the extra money to spare..

LizardRunner
11-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I looked into these a year ago and finally decided against it. costs is just way to high for any added advantages.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes, the kits use a different spindle so it will bolt in place of the unit bearing. If you use wrecking yard parts, you need everything from the Cs out. But I maintain if you are going to do that, go to the CJ knuckle and make yourself a really strong front end that will take a lot of punishment.

jeepxj95
11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
i think it 1200 with the disks that go with it on some kits. i would love to do this besides all th positives. and how many newer jeeps do u see with lock outs :)

jeepxj95
11-05-2011, 11:46 PM
jeepin outfitters
whos lock out kit are u running and for how long/many miles????

XJ Rat
11-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes, the kits use a different spindle so it will bolt in place of the unit bearing. If you use wrecking yard parts, you need everything from the Cs out. But I maintain if you are going to do that, go to the CJ knuckle and make yourself a really strong front end that will take a lot of punishment.

I agree the old style is much stronger. The old style are also full floating whereas the unit bearing style is semi floating (that means you break a shaft, no big deal. Just unlock the hub and drive home. The old style does not rely on the integrity of the shaft to hold the wheel on.). One bad point is the old style bolt pattern are all 5 on 5-1/2". All XJ's are 5 on 4-1/2". So to do the conversion, one has to add in the cost of new wheels and the cost of new rear axle shafts or getting the old rear end shafts redrilled for the new wheel pattern.

But...the old hubs are waaayyy stronger than the Ranger/Bronco II hubs.

dagr8tim
11-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm..... 5 on 5.5 seems like a small price to pay for the extra beef.

4.3LXJ
11-06-2011, 02:58 PM
You can always buy some alloy axles that have that pattern to finish out the beef

Carves
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Locking hubs have been a 4x4 accessory down here for a long time ...

Apparently ... one of the reasons Jeeps are no good is coz you cant fit locking hubs ..... according to brainwashed toyotaphiles .. :rolleyes: .. :D

Fuel economy and drivetrain wear are improved by using them ... but you wont notice it on a monthly basis .... its a long, long, long term, gain ..... like most, popular, mythical fuel saving paraphernalia.

I enjoyed having them on 40 & 70 series toyotas and other stuff ... in fact theres lotsa times 2wd, low range is all thats needed .. and you dont need to get out and lock the hubs in ...

.... but I wouldnt go to the expense and dramas of fitting them to an XJ .... Unless - there was a specific mechanical or engineering advantage I was looking for. ;)

... and as Mudderoy mentioned ... Locking hubs sorta kill the practicalities/useability of the 242 trannycase.

cantab27
11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
at 250 a side to replace hubs here..i looked at this mod, but again big $$$ ......