PDA

View Full Version : Shock question

BOOM-stick
11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I recently put a 2" lift on my 89 cherokee and want to put on new shocks, did some net searches and am quite confused on what shocks to use. Some say yj or jk with mods. I don't want to break the bank, would like to get something more of a bolt on, sure could use some advice. Thanks:confused:

4.3LXJ
11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
The bottom line really is, how did you get that lift? If it was with an add a leaf, then you don't have to do anything with the rear. If with new front springs, maybe not the front either. The thing about lifts is that there is no way to make generalities about shocks until we have more information.

Showtime3492
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
If you dont wanna break the bank you could just do bar pin eliminators in the front and rear it will give you about a .5 to 1 inch extension. Or use jk rubicon front shocks and 95ish f150 rear they will need modification however mostly just the sleeves and bar pins.. not too hard but i think youll be ok will some bar pin eliminators.

BOOM-stick
11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Sorry about leaving the info out, put spacers in front and shackles in the rear. Planning on getting new rear leafs when funds allow. Maybe santa will bring me some. lol

4.3LXJ
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Then yes, you do need shocks that are two inches longer, or you can move the mount two inches. Detours, one of our vendors has kits for this. Might be cheaper than shocks.

bluedragon436
11-03-2011, 09:36 PM
What is considered breaking the bank for ya?? I know you can contact Rough Country about their shocks.. the pricing is very reasonable.. That is what I did, but then I went to the upgraded shocks they have.. But as mentioned above.. look into Detours.. they have some kits that would def. help you save a little bit of money and still give you the same end result..

XJ4IV
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
honestly the easiest thing is to buy new shocks for about 32 each at 4wheelparts
just tell em what vehicle and how much lift you have... its the most simple way to do it

Showtime3492
11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I actually have 2 good front shocks of of a j k rubi that are modified to fit the cherokee basically just put the bar pain in the bottom it's a lot harder than it sounds lol but if you want emI will get rid of them for cheap I couldn't use them anymore when I upgraded to long arm an taller coils

89WhiteXJ
11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Detours USA sells some extentions for the Front and Rear shocks. I have the 2" ones on the front of mine. They are like $45 or something. Easy way to take up the down travel you lost with the two inch lift. Or as started before find some non expensive shocks and replace all 4.

XJ4IV
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
honestly the easiest thing is to buy new shocks for about 32 each at 4wheelparts
just tell em what vehicle and how much lift you have... its the most simple way to do it

and you can score a set of 4 with a warranty for about 150 or less...procomp ES3000

BOOM-stick
11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Ordered a set from 4wheelparts great price and good people, can't wait till they get here !

702XJCruiser
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I am running a 2" spacer in the front. When I originally did it I was running the stock size Monroe Sensatracs and it was not a problem size wise. Now I'm running a set of Skyjacker Hydros made for 3" lift and the fit is not an issue. Also as crappy and cheap as the Skyjacker Hydros are they are worlds better than the Monroe's. Ride's well on and offroad.