PDA

View Full Version : 2001 xj no start

gthbryce
11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I couldn't figure out where to post. I need to be at work soon. Car has been completely fine nothing out of the normal. When I went to start it this morning it just keeps cranking and I checked the shrader valve at the rail and it shot me in the face with gas so i'm guessing it has fuel... What next?

msmoorenburg
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Pull the codes via 3 key strokes and post them up. also check to see if you have spark?

gthbryce
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
How do i check for spark with the coil pack type system? It has to be spark related since it has gas and fuel pump makes sound. And whats this 3 key strokes thing?

msmoorenburg
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
How do i check for spark with the coil pack type system? It has to be spark related since it has gas and fuel pump makes sound. And whats this 3 key strokes thing?

Turn the key on and off 3 times and on the 3rd time leave it in the ON position ,and watch your odo for P#'s or it will say done (no need to crank the motor). As far as spark pull any wire and stick a screwdriver in the plug. Have some crank the motor while you hold the screwdriver (the insulated end) 1/16 from any metal part of the block. You should see a blue arc jump

bluedragon436
11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Does it sound like it is trying to fire.. like maybe a "backfire" sound so to speak?? Cause I am wondering if it might not be a bad CPS (crank position sensor)... which is fairly easy to replace yourself.. and is a very common issue on the 4.0 engine..

uberxj92
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
one of our xj club member's has a 99 & the ecu went out did the exact same thing you are describing. had a hell of a time finding one due to the chipped key. turned out his security was to blame but it was in the ecu