PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a 93 xj, opinions wanted

JTProuhet
11-02-2011, 08:11 AM
What's up guys I'm going to look at a 93 2dr xj tonight. It's got the 4.0 5 speed 4wd. It has 203xxx on the clock. I can post the CL ad if that helps and I also have pics the owner sent me. I've already looked at it once and I'm getting my buddy that has had jeeps his whole life and has several of them and knows his way around them to help look it over to make sure its worth buying. But here are some things that I noticed when looking and want your alls opinion on it. First I noticed a lot of the clear coat is peaking which isn't a big deal to me. Hardly any body rust. It started and ran really smooth, no ticks no knocks no shimmys no shakes. It seemed very dry underneath. Valve cover gasket looked a little wet but not leaking real bad at all. It shifted smooth. Only Around 40mph it had a little shake to it. Not in the steering wheel tho. I'm thinking maybe a tire out of balance idk. The fuel gauge light was on but he said it doesn't work he just filled it up. He hasn't had it but less than a month and has only put about 20 miles on it. He trailered it home 4hrs. He said it had been sitting for a little while when he bought it and he noticed it was low on oil, he topped it off and said in the 3 weeks he has had it there maybe a half dollar size spot on his driveway. He bought it off the original owner with plans of making it a toy but needs the money. But I crawled underneath it and noticed that the muffler is rusted pretty bad and then I noticed that the floor board in the back seat is almost rusted through one the passenger side but everywhere else wasn't bad at all. He said the PO was in the pool business and we got to thinking that maybe the chlorine had something to do with it cause I noticed that like the front seat brackets have surface rust. The levers on the side of both front seats to fold seat forward to get in the back don't work. And the back seat has a tear in it and isn't in the best of shape. Not a big deal for the price I can afford some new seats. But other than that it looked half assed decent. He said he put a new battery in in when he bought it. He also said the PO put a new slave cylinder and master cylinder in it, new brakes all the way around and a couple other things I can't remember. But to wrap this book up, I can pick this thing up for $780 bucks. What are some key things I.need to be looking for when I go look at it. And what are some things you guys think this thing would need in the near future, like common things that go out or wear out. I'm gonna check the unibody real well for rust.. Let me know what you guys think. And what is something that would make you say no to it.. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-4066-e888.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-407f-aeeb.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-409b-94b8.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-40c5-32b5.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-40da-79f5.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-40ff-2c9d.jpg

Passenger floor board
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-411e-b7ee.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6cd89f8-4147-3b48.jpg

cantab27
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
patience my friend...someone will be along soon and chip in.... sounds like ya buddy be the one to look at it but...if hes been a round them he will know there little quirks ..cant really comment i have a 95 auto one...there is one thing but..its green so that's a good start....
good luck Jeremy and lets us know how ya go with this one...

bigjim350
11-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Seems like a good deal to me. Just about any jeep that old will have an oil leak at the valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter, and rear main seal. All of which are easy to fix. All the xj's I have driven have had a little shake between 40 and 45 don't know why. As far as the rust goes that is alsi very common on xj's even down here. So I say go for it. Great color too

Sent from my VM670

JTProuhet
11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Seems like a good deal to me. Just about any jeep that old will have an oil leak at the valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter, and rear main seal. All of which are easy to fix. All the xj's I have driven have had a little shake between 40 and 45 don't know why. As far as the rust goes that is alsi very common on xj's even down here. So I say go for it. Great color too

Sent from my VM670

Thank you. I understand the oil leaks are gonna be present being that old. Lol doesnt really bother me as my driveway is gravel. I was just on a ramble and just throwing everything that I noticed out there. Lol and as far as the rust I just didn't know if those places that I mentioned were common or if that was just a sign that other things could be going on. Oh I forgot that he said that the previous owner said that the ac needed to be charged and I checked the heat and it works good so no worries there as winter in coming and won't need the ac for awhile. Oh and the head liner was gone.

But I just like looking into things before I go buying anything especially what are common things that go wrong. But from everything I've read, a little tlc and these things will run forever

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

JTProuhet
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I went and looked at it again tonight. Motor sounds/runs great, tranny shifts great. But upon further review, the front passenger floor pan has about a 3" rust hole in it and right under the passenger seat there is probably a 4" rust hole. Muffler would need replaced. High pressure side Power steering hose is leaking. Head liner is gone. Rear seat is in bad shape. Front seat levers don't work to fold seat forward to get in the back.. my buddy that is pretty knowledgeable about jeeps said that if it was a toy it wouldn't be so bad but a daily driver its pretty rough. Mechanically it is sound.. I just don't know if I want to take a gamble on it being my daily driver if its just gonna fall apart on me..

Sorry for the ramble again.. lol

bigjim350
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
How long is your daily commute? Sounds like most things it needs, besides the muffler, are cosmetic. That stuff can be fixed a little at a time.

JTProuhet
11-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Bout 60 miles a day 5 days a week.. yea it is all cosmetic really.. if it wasn't the floor pans it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I guess I could just temporarily patch the holes until I'm able to cut the old out and put new pans in.. hmm decisions.. decisions.. lol the seller is gonna have to come down on the price some more for me to buy it..

bigjim350
11-02-2011, 11:40 PM
yeah 60 miles a day is a lot to ask out of a 93 XJ. The good thing is that they sell the replacement floor pans pretty cheap

XJMJeep
11-03-2011, 01:44 AM
If it were me I'd buy it, as long as it runs & drives good to start everything else if fixable & it wont cost a lot to do it.
XJ's are very common in the salvage yards so the parts are usually cheap.
I drive 50 miles a day in my 1988 MJ that will see 200k this week, yeah it has little drips & noises but that's just the way it is. When ya get to that age, we all start leaking & smoking more than we use to!
It's your call but I think if it runs as good as you say its a good buy, plus as Cantab & Jim said great color choice! :D

saar
11-04-2011, 12:12 AM
780$ for xj???
I live in the wrong country :-(
Here it will be something like 30K NIS (~8200$)

LizardRunner
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I'd talk him down closer to 600 and buy it. The things that are wrong are either very normal for that old and/or cheep to fix. The wife and I have passed on quite a few that had drive train/ engine problems that would be more money to fix than the asking price. We have one 95 auto that the owner has just sitting and he wants 650 for it. The wife calls it the back up xj since we are the only ones he says are interested in it at all.

Mudderoy
11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
780$ for xj???
I live in the wrong country :-(
Here it will be something like 30K NIS (~8200$)

Yeah I got the 99 with 147k miles for $2300. They normally for about $4k here.