PDA

View Full Version : high volume oil pump... plus

jeepxj95
10-31-2011, 11:51 PM
im thinking about doing a hv oil pump on the 95. whats envalved ? how hard is the pan to take out ? is the pan gasket reusable? one last ? how hard is it to do the rear main?

bigjim350
11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Is pretty easy to do. The pan gasket is not reusable. Rear main seal is also easy to do. the gojeep website has a good write up on it. The pan was very easy to get off on mine, course i have 6.5" of lift. Your best bet is to jack the jeep up very high, then put your jack stands under the "frame" and let your axle droop. Not sure if its an issue on the 4.0, but I have had problems on ford motors with high volume oil pumps. They pump so much volume that if your getting on it really hard it will suck the oil pan dry cause the oil wont have enough time to drain down. Have had better luck with high pressure pumps.

LizardRunner
11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I go with what Jim says. High pressure is direct bolt in replacement.

If you want High Volume, best to go dry sump, which is not so cheep to do. New oil pan (or re-worked stock oil pan to make it very shallow with a very good set of oil pickups. External, 3-4 chamber oil pump, new belt that's longer so it will drive the new expensive external pump. New (unless you can find a properly built used) large volume (3 gallons up to 20 quarts) oil tank - relocated, (usually standing upright and setup to spin the oil so all the bubbles are gone at the return fitting on the bottom) along with all the plumbing (SS braid very recomended for this with AN fittings). Of course you don't get the extra clearance of having a flat(ish) oil pan but you also aren't going to spend around a grand + for your oiling system. But this option does quadruple your coolness factor.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I always just used to stretch the spring on the relief valve. Good for 10-15# that way and super cheap.

jeepxj95
11-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I always just used to stretch the spring on the relief valve. Good for 10-15# that way and super cheap.

but will a high pressure pump add more volume????

4.3LXJ
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
but will a high pressure pump add more volume????

A high pressure pump is not a high volume pump. However it will pump more oil due to the higher pressure. Another thing I have done on my engines is run a higher viscosity oil, which also increases the pressure.

LizardRunner
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
The real question is probably why you need the added volume of oil, or is it just a want? Either way you will have to have someplace for that extra volume to be stored when the engine is shut down.

jeepxj95
11-09-2011, 11:55 PM
just something i would like 2 try and add some volume on really hot days or long driving trips pressure is starting to drop. on long dayd its around 25 psi at 1750 rpms a little low when it usally around 40 psi

4.3LXJ
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
If you increase your oil viscosity it will raise your pressure also. The manufacturer recommendations are based on milage. The lighter the oil, the better the milage. However the lighter oils do not necessarily give better lubrication. I use a 20W50 racing oil which gives good lubrication at temps above 10°F. You can go back to the lighter weight in the winter if you want.

jeepxj95
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
how about 10w40 or 10w50 for summer? dont know what i want to run for winter. i run mobil 1 10w30 for summer and 5w30 for winter. i will run royle purple or amsoil one day

4.3LXJ
11-13-2011, 10:42 AM
If you are running synthetics, they all run with less oil pressure. They say they are a certain weight, but the thing is they replace those paraffin oils in performance, not true viscosity. That is one way they increase milage with use.

LizardRunner
11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I run castrol syntec 20-50 in all my vehicles and have never had a problem with oil pressure.