PDA

View Full Version : Smittybilt Trail Jack

XJMJeep
10-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Any opinions?

I picked one up today & it looks great, has standard features that are add-on's for other jacks & was $50 from 4 wheel parts

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=4WD_2722.jpg&partNo=S%2fB&w=200&h=200

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-and-Winch-Accessories/54-Trail-Jack-by-Smittybilt.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=8394&t_pl=9248&t_pn=S%2fB2722

DETOURS
10-30-2011, 06:56 PM
It's a copy of all the other farm jacks including Hi~Lift......they dont get along well with rain, dust or mud.......keep it inside the vehical if possible.

These jacks, were 1st introduced as tractor jacks for their front axles, from there.....they've been called many things, used in various ways, are very unstable, dont get along with mother nature, and are rebuildable......

This is the best & most usefull, not to mention safest modification I've come up with for this style jack..........

Use it as a log splitter.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/100_6690sml.jpg

Carves
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Sheesh Detours ....

Do you have to do everything so flash ???

Even your ... hot water system ?? ... has got style ....

:D

X 2 on your wallaby jack comments ...

.... altho they are much "safer", if used to lift ... just a wheel, rather than lifting the whole vehicle ... to lift a wheel.

I cringe everytime I see one get jammed under a bumper .... when the wheel only needs to be raised a coupla inches to shove some packing/traction underneath ... ;)

bluedragon436
10-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Looks like a pretty decent product.. Like your log splitter add-on.. Is that a wood heater setup with the 55 gallon drums??

Mudderoy
10-30-2011, 08:14 PM
It's a copy of all the other farm jacks including Hi~Lift......they dont get along well with rain, dust or mud.......keep it inside the vehical if possible.

These jacks, were 1st introduced as tractor jacks for their front axles, from there.....they've been called many things, used in various ways, are very unstable, dont get along with mother nature, and are rebuildable......

This is the best & most usefull, not to mention safest modification I've come up with for this style jack..........

Is that a still behind the jack? :drinking:

XJMJeep
10-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Yep, that's the best add-on I've ever seen!
Think I just might have to make one my self.
Nice work!

DETOURS
10-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Barrell stove.....actually building a new one as well, I think my existing has pinholes........New one will have cold air induction!!

The splitter was built 2 years ago......the Hi~Lift was laying around for a few years, I wont use them any longer.....they really are'nt that safe, work pretty good as a winch....if you have the muscle..

Maybe I'll do a write up on how to build one....(splitter)

DETOURS
10-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Sheesh Detours ....

Do you have to do everything so flash ???

Even your ... hot water system ?? ... has got style ....

:D

1/2 ass booty fab is not an option for me...........;)

LizardRunner
10-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I like the log spitter use for a hilift. The one thing I've noticed they are really good at is breaking the jaw of the user. I've seen that happen twice and once I got to see an arm get broken on the rebound. I don't own one and never will just because of the carnage I've seen them dish out.

default83
10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
i use them for all kinds of stuff. probably the most is to pop a bead on tires. they are good jacks, just have to use common sense and dont be stupid when using them.

Metlic53
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
ive got one mounted on the 97, so far it has come in handy numerous times, it rusts real easy though. oh well :D

4.3LXJ
10-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Barrell stove.....actually building a new one as well, I think my existing has pinholes........New one will have cold air induction!!

Yup, good old barrel stoves. In places like OR and WA I think they still sell kits to convert two 55 gal drums into stoves. Cheapest shop stove you can have. It is too bad they are trying to ban wood burning here, or I would have one.:confused:

4.3LXJ
10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
The splitter was built 2 years ago......the Hi~Lift was laying around for a few years, I wont use them any longer.....they really are'nt that safe, work pretty good as a winch....if you have the muscle..

I agree with Mark. These things can be dangerous. I spent the money instead on a good winch. I won't argue that they still may be handy, but to me it is not worth the risk

XJMJeep
11-01-2011, 01:52 AM
No doubt you gotta be extremely careful with these things, not really any different than the old bumper jacks cars use to come factory with.
I do believe they are a good tool to have, but as with any tool they must be used correctly.
I just wish i had went with the 48", fitting a 54" jack in the back of an XJ is proving to be a challenge!

Mudderoy
11-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Yup, good old barrel stoves. In places like OR and WA I think they still sell kits to convert two 55 gal drums into stoves. Cheapest shop stove you can have. It is too bad they are trying to ban wood burning here, or I would have one.:confused:

By 2050 everyone will be out of California and it will be a National Park, that no one can legally visit.

DETOURS
11-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Kit's are available through Vogelzang and/or Northern Equipment, about 90 bucks for a full kit, less the barrels...........NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA or WASHINGTON STATE..........

LizardRunner
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
...........NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA or WASHINGTON STATE..........

Gotta love the land of the free and the pioneer spirit states. :smiley-laughing021: So many tree huggers forget that it is actually ok to use wood for heat, far less sulpher that in coal and you can plant and re-grow trees so it's a renewable resource. go figure.

bluedragon436
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Might have to look into something like that... would work awesomely for the barn.. got plenty of wood available for use..

Niac
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I keep the jack part strapped down on the rear passenger floorboards. It keeps it from rusting and less likely to be stolen.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/Hi%20Lift%20Jack/HiLift1.jpg
There's a tab with a hole, welded on the bumper and the pin for the jack rod holds it on

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/Hi%20Lift%20Jack/HiLift2.jpg
Bolts welded to the exo and wingnuts hold the jack rod on and the handle fits in two pieces of pipe welded onto the exo and the pin for the handle holds it in.

And yes they are dangerous. Especially when your tired, excited, and / or in a hurry.