PDA

View Full Version : Rear exit exhaust or side exit exhaust?

One_Big_Midgett
10-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I crawled under the xj the other day to whack the starter so it would start. (I am getting a new one on payday). While I was there, I started looking around and noticed a few things. One of which is that my exhaust is in need of repair. I have a cherry bomb that I have wanted to put on for sometime. So that is going on. But I am stuck on where to run the pipe. The stock way out the back or just make a turn right after the muffler and run it out the side. I don't know if this would be in the way come crawling time. I don't think it would but not sure. You folks have any ideas, pros cons?

XJ4IV
10-29-2011, 09:57 PM
well Ive seen some SWEET sideflow setups however Ive also seen some of those get smashed to crap on the rocks... what kind of wheelin do you prefer?

One_Big_Midgett
10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
The trails here range from mild to wild. I am lookin to up the game a little next spring. Steeper rock walls and more jagged rocks.

XJ4IV
10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
You might take em out then... but its your call it just sucks cause you have to take it UNDER the framerail which lowers your clearance too

4.3LXJ
10-29-2011, 11:10 PM
My opinion is that you should stick with the pipe out the back. It keeps the fumes away from the windows when you are crawling.

jeepxj95
10-29-2011, 11:32 PM
You might take em out then... but its your call it just sucks cause you have to take it UNDER the framerail which lowers your clearance too

i did mine out the side wish i had the money to go to the back when i did it tho. because of that fact

bigjim350
10-30-2011, 12:00 AM
I'd do a rear exit exhaust....and I did :)

Mudderoy
10-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I saw one guy take his nice new rear bumper and cut a 3" hole in the side, running the exhaust out that hole. He said he was tired of mashing it on the rocks, and this method certainly solved that problem.

Wish I could remember more about it, I'd find the picture. If I am remembering correctly I think he may have been running a DETOURS slimline bumper which is shaped like a "U". It has side protection as well. It was this side protection that he cut through.

DETOURS
10-30-2011, 06:43 PM
That guy's in NH, dosent own the vehicle any longer..........it was a kool booty fab, I think Street Beat Customs offers a more professional look, results.....