PDA

View Full Version : Trouble codes: P1698 P1898 P0700

TeXJ
10-29-2011, 04:43 PM
So what I've learned so far:
P0700 generic code, will need a better scanner :(
P1698, basically the tranny cant talk to the jeep pcm to tcm problem, i think.
P1898<---lost as to what this means ???

So what is going on? Well in Drive, the torque converter doesnt engage in 4th. It feels like it engages in lower gears,...I think. That or it shifts and the RPM's goes down.

So The Inspection goes out this month, I know great timing Jeepgods!!!!! And I am hoping I wont have to take it to a tranny shop... $$$$$

What I've done so far:
Disconnected the plug on the back of the intake manifold, I think its the right one, tried to put an ohm meter on it but not sure if I did it right.

This morning just looking at it the light went away, then when I went faster it came back on.

Came back to the house, disconnected the TCM and reconnected it, all looked fine with wires and such.

Now Im stupped... oh and I cant find my Haynes manual :bang:

msmoorenburg
10-29-2011, 06:00 PM
here come alot of info hope is helps

Vehicle Application:
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L
Customer Concern:
Transmission code P1898. Transmission does not shift correctly or Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is not working correctly.
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check if the TCC is working OK. The code is either for solenoid #1 functional fault or the TCC solenoid functional fault.

2. If solenoid #1 is stuck open, the transmission will only get 1st and 4th gear. If solenoid #1 is stuck closed, the transmission will only get 2nd and 3rd gear.

3. If the TCC solenoid is stuck closed, TCC never locks up. If the TCC solenoid is stuck open, TCC stays locked up all the time.
Potential Causes:
Solenoid #1
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid
Diagnostic Codes:
P1898

Confirmed fixes

#1 Shift Solenoid, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid

Next code P1698

Vehicle Application:
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, Vin S, Eng Cfg L6 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
Customer Concern:
Trouble code P0700. Unable to communicate with the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Tests/Procedures:
1. Try another scan tool first, there are many scan tool conflicts.

2. If multiple scan tools still do not communicate, then verify that the Pink Serial Communication Interface (SCI) wire is not open between the Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) and the TCM. Verify that it is not grounded out either. Repair wiring as needed.

3. Replace the TCM if the wiring is OK and there is still no communication.
Potential Causes:
Scan Tool
TCM
Wiring
Diagnostic Codes:
P0700, P1698

Confirmed fixed

2-3 Shift Solenoid, Wiring
Shift Solenoid

Last code P0700

Look to the above code its the only thing that matches from identafix.com. In my opinion i would drop the tranny pan and test each via 12v

just my 2cents

TeXJ
10-29-2011, 06:53 PM
The torque converter locks in the lower gears, slower speed.

not sure on the first code.

I usually dont go over 50mph, but my wife took the jeep to work, and she drives on the freeways, so it got up to a higher speed. Usually I just let off of the gas and I thought it shifted into 4th, but I guess that is the TC locking up?

So where are the solenids located?

thanks a bunch, wiring and trannies are my weak points :(

msmoorenburg
10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Drop your tranny pan and you will be looking right at them. check this link out it may help

http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=67837&postcount=1

XJ4IV
10-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Matt made this suggestion to me about 8 months ago... I took his advice and removed each solenoid one at a time to not mix em up, anyhow
on each solenoid there is a positive and a negative terminal get some long wires and put some female connectors on those and get 3 cans of brakleen one per solenoid... trust me yes you will knock out a can per solenoid first off make sure your wires are fairly long to keep your solenoid far away from your 12volt connection, next engage the solenoid ( plug each wire to the battery... at this point one wire to each battery terminal is fine) this will open the solenoid to allow the brakleen to go THROUGH the solenoid... once you have cleaned it out thoroughly then touch one of the wires to the battery repeatedly to open and close the solenoid several times to ensure fail safe operation... reinstall solenoid and proceed to next solenoid.
when I did this I noticed my jeep kinda come back to life a bit. when you put the pan back on you may wanna use some lucas oil additive for transmissions this will help the ATF that youll put in there as well.... lucas is a friend!

TeXJ
10-31-2011, 12:56 PM
My old man came through and is taking the jeep to the tranny shop(pre op :D ) to let them test the codes. With school and work I just dont have the time to deal with it all that much. Plus it goes out of inspection today :(

TeXJ
02-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Bump...

p1898 and p0700 just came back. Seems like it only happens when I go offroading...

TeXJ
03-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Still dealing with this...

Mudderoy
03-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Wow!

4.3LXJ
03-31-2018, 12:52 AM
I don't have a listing for the 1898 code, but the 700 and 1698 codes indicate a bad controller. Needs a new brain for the tranny I think

Mudderoy
03-31-2018, 07:42 AM
I found some discussion about the p1898 here... https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/cel-code-p1898-p0700-188283/

TeXJ
03-31-2018, 09:19 AM
The thing is that I can clear the code and all is good till I spend the day four wheeling. Then while I'm out in the woods, my CEL pops up, or even when I get back on the road coming home. It will come on and stay on till I clear the code again.

From the research I've done, it seems this is limited to the 1997 AW4 cherokees...yay for me.

I found some discussion about the p1898 here... https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/cel-code-p1898-p0700-188283/

I've posted on that post as well.

I went wheeling in Aug, light has been on since then. However, I've maybe put 75 miles on the jeep since then, and that's a big maybe. One reason this has lasted so long is that I really dont drive it that much and when I do I get a vibration in the rear that I'm also troubleshooting.

TeXJ
03-31-2018, 09:21 AM
I don't have a listing for the 1898 code, but the 700 and 1698 codes indicate a bad controller. Needs a new brain for the tranny I think

There are some posts that indicate that as well or some have said that maybe one of the solenoids is bad/sticking..