PDA

View Full Version : Steering help!!!

sebastian4130
10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have been experiencing very stiff steering. When I say stiff, I mean that turning in either directions is difficult and forget about the steering returning to center, it's non-existent. I recently had all ball joints changed, serpentine belt, power steering fluid changed and it made absolutely no improvement. I also adjusted the gear assembly, the 1/4 turn clockwise, that I read here a few months ago and still nothing. At this point I am out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas? I am just worried that if I start spending money on say a new gear assembly, it won't fix the problem so I am trying to troubleshoot absolutely everything before beginning to spend big bucks. What I would love to achieve is a firm steer, easy to turn and very responsive returning to center. I'll also ad that my power steering pump is in working order and I have no leaks whatsoever. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have been experiencing very stiff steering. When I say stiff, I mean that turning in either directions is difficult and forget about the steering returning to center, it's non-existent. I recently had all ball joints changed, serpentine belt, power steering fluid changed and it made absolutely no improvement. I also adjusted the gear assembly, the 1/4 turn clockwise, that I read here a few months ago and still nothing. At this point I am out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas? I am just worried that if I start spending money on say a new gear assembly, it won't fix the problem so I am trying to troubleshoot absolutely everything before beginning to spend big bucks. What I would love to achieve is a firm steer, easy to turn and very responsive returning to center. I'll also ad that my power steering pump is in working order and I have no leaks whatsoever. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

I made mine do this by accident when I was trying to correct "slop" in my steering. I later found out the slop was caused by a loose drop pitman arm.

Basically I removed the electric fan and adjusted the steering box. I tightened it up too much and in a turn I would turn the wheel to make the turn then turn the wheel to stop the turn!!!!!

To resolve I just adjusted back. To be honest (because I normally lie) :rotfl2: I just adjusted it without really paying attention to 1/4 turns or anything. You might want to try loosing it more. Be careful since you don't want ZERO steering (if that is even possible).