PDA

View Full Version : 1997 XJ won't start sometimes...

RyXj
10-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi, I have had a problem with my XJ not wanting to start. It always starts the first time i start it in the morning and then the next time i turn it off and start it it won't start but after a few key turns it starts up fine. All the gauges read fine . I replaced the fuel pump/fuel filter about a year ago. Any suggestions?

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi, I have had a problem with my XJ not wanting to start. It always starts the first time i start it in the morning and then the next time i turn it off and start it it won't start but after a few key turns it starts up fine. All the gauges read fine . I replaced the fuel pump/fuel filter about a year ago. Any suggestions?

Does the engine turn over and not start?

RyXj
10-27-2011, 01:30 PM
It doesn't start or act like it wants to turn over. I heard it might be the neutral park safety switch but I'm not too sure.

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
It doesn't start or act like it wants to turn over. I heard it might be the neutral park safety switch but I'm not too sure.

Yep, that's why I was asking. If it doesn't turn over, try putting the transmission in neutral, and also try moving the shifter lever back and forth several times. Also you can try jiggling the transmission shifter while leaving it in park.

RyXj
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
When it didn't start today i did actually put it in neutral and it started right up..some would it more than likely be the neutral safety switch?

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 01:47 PM
When it didn't start today i did actually put it in neutral and it started right up..some would it more than likely be the neutral safety switch?

That's what I think it is. Try moving the transmission shifter lever back and forth 5 or 10 times (engine off, parking brake set) and see if that makes it work again. There is an article here on how to clean your NSS.

RyXj
10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Awesome , thank you for the info I will definitively try that and I will look into that article right now.