PDA

View Full Version : Rough Country 4.5" Lift

HPI_Savage25
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok so the girlfriend just told me she ordered a 4.5" RC lift kit for my 1990 XJ. She didn't get the one with the x flex arms. I would line to do it all at once so I will wait on installing everything. So in the meantime I will be building a list of what I need.

X flex control arms? Control arm drop brackets? Is the SYE required? I'd rather do it right the first time than have to do it again....

Thanks

LizardRunner
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I believe that SYE is recommended for any lift over 3". I am going to be going up 4.5-6 inches and I will definately be doing the SYE when I go up higher than my little lift that's on it now. Long arms should come with or have available a new cross member with the LCA brackets already on them, if not I would not consider it a very good deal but that's just me. I will most likely use a mix of parts from several companies to get exactly what I want.

4.3LXJ
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Nice girlfriend

Mudderoy
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Ok so the girlfriend just told me she ordered a 4.5" RC lift kit for my 1990 XJ. She didn't get the one with the x flex arms. I would line to do it all at once so I will wait on installing everything. So in the meantime I will be building a list of what I need.

X flex control arms? Control arm drop brackets? Is the SYE required? I'd rather do it right the first time than have to do it again....

Thanks

My RC 4.5" came with 1" transfer case drop. If I remember correctly the pre 97 XJ's are more forgiving. You can install the lift then see if you have bad vibrations.

The "X" flex wasn't available at the time, I wouldn't have spent the extra money anyway. I purchased upper and lower control arms from Ironman4x4fab.com later.

I do have the RC heavy duty track bar, and tie rod. I would have a look at the tierod from Ironman though.

I've been very pleased with my lift and the few times I've actually used it off road it has performed very well. None of it was hard core wheeling though. This is my daily driver! :D

bluedragon436
10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
3/4's of my of my lift kit is RC components.. I am very pleased with my lifts performance thus far.. Wish I had the flex arms (but that's in the works).. I don't have any vibes at 7+" of lift and just a tc drop.. But as Tony said.. I think the 97+ XJ's are quite a bit better as far as the vibes go on the lifts.. But if you can afford it, i woould go ahead an hit up an SYE and ds.. You can save up some money if you wanted too, by picking up a hack and tap see setup from dirt bound off road.. One of our vendors, and then pick up a stock front ds from the jy and be good to go for your lift height..

bigjim350
10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
You shouldn't need a SYE its the 97+ that are more prone to vibes because of the output on the tcase. The x-flex arms are nice and flex good, but you wont have any problems with the regular ones. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the trackbar. Dont think the kit you got comes with an adjustable trackbar. Should come with everything else you need.

Mudderoy
10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
You shouldn't need a SYE its the 97+ that are more prone to vibes because of the output on the tcase. The x-flex arms are nice and flex good, but you wont have any problems with the regular ones. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the trackbar. Dont think the kit you got comes with an adjustable trackbar. Should come with everything else you need.

Mine came with a track bar drop, so the kit is complete.

jeepxj95
10-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I was looking at one of the venders website and he has the RC 4.5 inch lift kit that comes with everythingbut the sye. Brake lines, adj trac bar and LCAs either fixed or adj but cant remember if he had the UCAs. My wife last I knew lol told me to pick out a lift under a sertion $ :) for chrismas but idk if its for chrismas or when tax return time comes. That would be kool she gets a car and the 95 gets a lift :) oh and welcome to the site

HPI_Savage25
10-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I believe she I getting this one :

http://lgcdn.jeep4x4center.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/i/lift-kit-633n2.jpg

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-lift-kits/rough-country/cherokee-xj-4-5-inch-n2-series-lift-kit.htm

Hopefully the vibes won't be too bad. I'd love to get by without buying a SYE. Although I will down the road just to be on the safe side.

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the help guys! I believe she I getting this one :

http://lgcdn.jeep4x4center.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/i/lift-kit-633n2.jpg

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-lift-kits/rough-country/cherokee-xj-4-5-inch-n2-series-lift-kit.htm

Hopefully the vibes won't be too bad. I'd love to get by without buying a SYE. Although I will down the road just to be on the safe side.

Before she's buys you might want to check with xjtalk vendors. Several of them give a discount on top of their already low prices.

Our vendors => :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/vendors.php)

HPI_Savage25
10-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah I'll take a look. I know she is having her brother order it as he is a Po and they get discounts. And I am all for supporting forum vendors. Maybe she hasn't ordered yet. I'll find out :)

Mudderoy
10-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah I'll take a look. I know she is having her brother order it as he is a Po and they get discounts. And I am all for supporting forum vendors. Maybe she hasn't ordered yet. I'll find out :)

What ever works best for you. I just wanted you to know so she could save a little $$$ possibly. :D

4.3LXJ
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Two things I would add to that, adjustable upper control arms and a track bar.

jeepxj95
10-29-2011, 12:46 AM
4.3LXJ who has a good trac bar for a good "cheap" price??

4.3LXJ
10-29-2011, 12:52 AM
4.3LXJ who has a good trac bar for a good "cheap" price??

That is a good question. I am of the opinion that a cheap track bar is just not the way to go. I was just reading a thread on another website about this very issue when your message alert came.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/broken-rustys-parts-108883/

Many companies have had failures. BDS had them for awhile and had to redesign. I think Rough country has redesigned too. Mudderoy had one go bad I think. Big Jim lost one last week and I destroyed my stock bar and mountings. These things take more of a beating than we think. The more lift we have, the more stress is put on them due to the angle and position change of the body when the suspension is compressed. This is one area that shouldn't be skimped on. The only one I feel comfortable recommending is Ironman Andy's bar.

jeepxj95
10-30-2011, 12:35 AM
That is a good question. I am of the opinion that a cheap track bar is just not the way to go. I was just reading a thread on another website about this very issue when your message alert came.

Many companies have had failures. BDS had them for awhile and had to redesign. I think Rough country has redesigned too. Mudderoy had one go bad I think. Big Jim lost one last week and I destroyed my stock bar and mountings. These things take more of a beating than we think. The more lift we have, the more stress is put on them due to the angle and position change of the body when the suspension is compressed. This is one area that shouldn't be skimped on. The only one I feel comfortable recommending is Ironman Andy's bar.

good trend. another ??? andys track bars are only for 4-8" of lift. what about the smaller guys? like 2-4 range???

Mudderoy
10-30-2011, 02:32 AM

I bought the heavy duty RC track bar and bent it out doing what I would call mild wheeling. And not because I've done heavy wheeling! rofl RC was great about it when I figured out it was bent literally 3 months later. I knew something had changed because the steering wheel had changed position.

Anyway when I received the replacement they had changed it slightly. It now has a heim(sp?) joint on it.

4.3LXJ
10-30-2011, 11:16 AM
good trend. another ??? andys track bars are only for 4-8" of lift. what about the smaller guys? like 2-4 range???

Andy will make you one for a lower lift. Just PM him and tell him what you want.