PDA

View Full Version : Headlight issue

XJMJeep
10-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Anyone had this problem?
Headlights work fine just sometimes don't go off, the dummy buzzer don't make any noise, the park lights are off but headlights are on.
I thought no big deal, just change the switch as it's 23 years old, can't really complain so Sunday that's what I did.
Worked perfectly yesterday BUT this morning when I got to work same problem, headlights stayed on :mad:
Relay going bad?

Mudderoy
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Anyone had this problem?
Headlights work fine just sometimes don't go off, the dummy buzzer don't make any noise, the park lights are off but headlights are on.
I thought no big deal, just change the switch as it's 23 years old, can't really complain so Sunday that's what I did.
Worked perfectly yesterday BUT this morning when I got to work same problem, headlights stayed on :mad:
Relay going bad?

That is strange. I thought I had a problem with mine when I forgot to turn them off before killing the engine. Found out later it's not a malfunction, it's a feature! Turn off the headlights after killing the engine and they stay on for 2 minutes then go off. :bang: :D

dagr8tim
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Relay's are cheap. I'd change it for good measure. The only other option I can think of is a chaffed wire.

Tony, I don't think that's a feature on all XJ's. My 97 SE doesn't do that.

Mudderoy
10-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Relay's are cheap. I'd change it for good measure. The only other option I can think of is a chaffed wire.

Wow I just assumed.

Also I wonder if the headlight switch could be bad.

Carves
10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Anyone had this problem?

Yeah .... with my first XJ .... same as Mudderoy - I found it was a factory feature :bang: .... :D

You might have issues with a wire like dagr8tim mentioned ... or theres corrosion/shorting out happening at a harness plug ??

Do the early ones have a relay ?? ... most of the later model headlight issues are coz the factory seems to have forgot to fit relays ... :D

You got gypped ... :p ... tell ya what .... I'll swap you my headlight delay function ... for the ability to fit an extended idle switch .... :rotfl2:

dagr8tim
10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Wow I just assumed.

Also I wonder if the headlight switch could be bad.

Come to think of it, my 98 Sport didn't have it either.

You got gypped ... :p ... tell ya what .... I'll swap you my headlight delay function ... for the ability to fit an extended idle switch .... :rotfl2:

There's a thread on NAXJA about wiring up an extended idle on any XJ. IIRC, you cut a wire to the PCM, and run it to a switch and run the other side to ground.

Carves
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
There's a thread on NAXJA about wiring up an extended idle on any XJ. IIRC, you cut a wire to the PCM, and run it to a switch and run the other side to ground.

Yeah cheers ... saw that - after I found the feature in the FSM wiring diagrams ... and experimented ...

... but nahhhh ... after a day of buggerising around with multimeters, bits of wire, alligator clips and harness plugs pulled to bits ..... :mad:

..... I came to the conclusion that RHD Exports probably dont get a computer flash or something thats needed for the LHD police feature.

Ive got a hand throttle, cable setup, out of toyota, that I'll fit eventually.

dagr8tim
10-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah cheers ... saw that - after I found the feature in the FSM wiring diagrams ... and experimented ...

... but nahhhh ... after a day of buggerising around with multimeters, bits of wire, alligator clips and harness plugs pulled to bits ..... :mad:

..... I came to the conclusion that RHD Exports probably dont get a computer flash or something thats needed for the LHD police feature.

Ive got a hand throttle, cable setup, out of toyota, that I'll fit eventually.

The cooling fan is supposed to come on with the AC, why not use that to trick the system. Or if you unplug the temp sending unit in the gooseneck, the fan kicks on.

XJMJeep
10-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the replys!

That is strange. I thought I had a problem with mine when I forgot to turn them off before killing the engine. Found out later it's not a malfunction, it's a feature! Turn off the headlights after killing the engine and they stay on for 2 minutes then go off. :bang: :D

Sadly it's not a feature. Did they even have that feature in 1988?

Yeah .... with my first XJ .... same as Mudderoy - I found it was a factory feature :bang: .... :D
Do the early ones have a relay ?? ... most of the later model headlight issues are coz the factory seems to have forgot to fit relays ... :D

My MJ has a relay, I found it by accident one day while hooking up aux lights.

I'll try replacing that & grab a picture to show its location.

jeepxj95
10-26-2011, 06:27 AM
my 90 and my 95 does it so ur 88 should do it. sometimes mine takes a few times to get it to do it and my light switch is 6 months old. if it dont something isnt right. its a factoy feature.

4.3LXJ
10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replys!

Sadly it's not a feature. Did they even have that feature in 1988?

My MJ has a relay, I found it by accident one day while hooking up aux lights.

I'll try replacing that & grab a picture to show its location.

Yes, they did. I had an 85 with it, and my 86 does.

LizardRunner
10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
wow, my 95 sport doesn't have that feature, or it may just be fried and I don't know it. I do know I have to get a new column switch at some point so I have my intermit wipers back.

4.3LXJ
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I think all of the XJs are wired for this. What makes it work is a little timer/breaker that goes into the fuse panel under the dash.

dagr8tim
10-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I think all of the XJs are wired for this. What makes it work is a little timer/breaker that goes into the fuse panel under the dash.

Hmmmmm.... If that be the case, I'd love to add that feature to my 97.

HPI_Savage25
10-27-2011, 06:16 AM
I always thought I had a problem with mine to! I noticed if I cut the engine off and tried to turn the lights off they stayed on. I will test this one out....just to be on safe side as my battery isn't the best.

WyoXJ
10-27-2011, 06:37 AM
My '88 has the delay, the first time I found it I just turned the key back on and and then pushed the light switch in they shut off.

XJMJeep
10-28-2011, 01:40 AM
I always thought I had a problem with mine to! I noticed if I cut the engine off and tried to turn the lights off they stayed on. I will test this one out....just to be on safe side as my battery isn't the best.

My '88 has the delay, the first time I found it I just turned the key back on and and then pushed the light switch in they shut off.

Great info guys, its really appreciated!
Is the trick to make it work turning off the engine before turning off the lights?
Gotta do some testing! :D

HPI_Savage25
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
I just tested this while sitting in the parking lot at work. Turned the key off then the lights. Sure enough they went out in about 2mins.

jeepxj95
10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I just tested this while sitting in the parking lot at work. Turned the key off then the lights. Sure enough they went out in about 2mins.

yep thats it. its great when u go to unlock ur house :)

XJMJeep
10-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Breaking News..... Issue becomes feature!
Wow!
I just tested it out on the MJ and yep works every time.
Our 95 XJ doesn't do it though and haven't tested the 93 but still cool that a 1988 Jeep pickup is still able to amaze!
Y'all are great! Thanks for the input!