PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case selection

prcjeep
10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
My Transfer case is about to eat it, leaking everywhere and chain is stretched.

What factory available options do I have that are bolt in for my 96 4.0 5-speed Cherokee?? What are the benefits of one over others? What vehicles are they available on that I can take from junkyards etc.?
Lists, pictures, links... whatever you got can help thought this could be a good reference thread if we get a lot of info.

Thanks!

LizardRunner
10-24-2011, 04:27 PM
is the case cracked? if not it is pretty easy to rebuild one of these and you could go ahead and do a sye at the same time. I have the 231 but you could go with a 242 or a couple of others.

prcjeep
10-24-2011, 05:06 PM
case is not cracked to my knowledge... just leaks from the front output shaft(which is sheared off due to trail abuse) and out of the rear cone. I cant add an fluid that fills above the front output shaft seal, it flows right out of it

bigjim350
10-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Just go grab a np231 out of a cherokee at the junkyard. In my opinion its the simpliest and most dependable one. Or rob a bank and buy a rubicon t-case, althought they are not the ideal ratio for mud.

xjrev10
10-25-2011, 03:12 AM
I bought a reman to save myself some time. 650 dollars is not cheap, but they didnt need a core.

Just another option....

4.3LXJ
10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Much cheaper to get one from a pick and pull. By the time you fix that shaft, chain and seals, you have the price of another.

dagr8tim
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Doesn't the Dakota have a 231 with a wider chain?

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

Mudderoy
10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
NP231 is going to be your cheapest most plentiful option. If you don't do 4x4 on the paved surfaces it's the best choice.

Once you get it, take the time and replace some stuff, like the chain and all the seals!

prcjeep
10-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Scotters gave me a temp thing I can do til I get a new tcase... remove the chain from mine so it doesnt self destruck. Gives me more time to find and rebuild or whatever I end up doing...

Doesn't the Dakota have a 231 with a wider chain?

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

This would be stronger/better right?

Will this work as a replacement... Its a 231 c

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2665504216.html

Or will it work for parts?

dagr8tim
10-26-2011, 07:36 AM

If you check the link I posted, I believe the 231C is the chevy version. 5 bolts instead of 6 that dodge & jeep used.

From what I understand the dodge & chevy versions have the wider chain and beefier internals. You may be able to swap the guts.

Mudderoy
10-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Scotters gave me a temp thing I can do til I get a new tcase... remove the chain from mine so it doesnt self destruck. Gives me more time to find and rebuild or whatever I end up doing...

This would be stronger/better right?

That's a lot of effort to go through. I mean if you don't have the $110 for a chain, $4 for RTV and another $4 for a seal, I guess that would be an option.

4.3LXJ
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Right, the 231C is the Chevy version, and common in the S10s. It has a 5 bolt pattern, as well as a higher spline count on the input gear. So you cannot use it. But it is correct you can swap in the sprockets and chain which would be an upgrade.

prcjeep
10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
I read some threads about it on pirate... people say swaping the internals will give up to 1900 lbs torque... If my internals on mine have been running with no oil for who knows how long.. Are the gears and everything else going to be jacked?

4.3LXJ
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM
The best answer to that is probably, buy you need to split the case to be sure.

prcjeep
10-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Hey matt, or anyone else... I'll probably just buy a used tcase from a jy... If i get this sye kit could I used it to rebuild mine?

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2619

msmoorenburg
10-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey matt, or anyone else... I'll probably just buy a used tcase from a jy... If i get this sye kit could I used it to rebuild mine?

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2619

yes but you would have to realize you will not have a good core output shaft.

prcjeep
10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Okay well I got a new used one... For now just gonna throw it in and then look at the upgrade

prcjeep
01-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Well I put the t-case in back in November and since its been leaking fluid everyday... Fluid leaks from the back side, somehwere, I dont know... seems like everywhere especially the drive shaft slip yoke... This t-case is 231 with the rear cone. What is most likely the source of my leak and what will be the best remidy?

dagr8tim
01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Well I put the t-case in back in November and since its been leaking fluid everyday... Fluid leaks from the back side, somehwere, I dont know... seems like everywhere especially the drive shaft slip yoke... This t-case is 231 with the rear cone. What is most likely the source of my leak and what will be the best remidy?

I'm pretty sure there's a seal on the output where the drive shaft slides in. I wonder if you tore up that seal.

Joliet Johnny
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
NP231 is going to be your cheapest most plentiful option. If you don't do 4x4 on the paved surfaces it's the best choice.

Once you get it, take the time and replace some stuff, like the chain and all the seals!

Having a DD which Tcase is best for the paved roads?

4.3LXJ
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
The 242 has a full time 4X4 option. It works well on snow and ice. And yes there is a rear seal on the back of the output for the slip yoke. Make sure it is not loose, like try to wiggle it up and down. If it is, believe it or not taking the shaft out and greasing the spines sometimes works well.

prcjeep
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Having a DD which Tcase is best for the paved roads?

both 231 and 242 work great... the 231 you dont want to use on a DRY street in 4wd ever unless you have no choice for some extreme reason. The NP242 allows you to leave it in 4hi full-time in whichcase the t-case acts as a open differential.
NP231 has 2hi, 4hi(part-time), N, 4lo(part-time). The NP 231 works as a locked t-case and if the tires all have good traction and binding occurs it could/will cause damage to your t-case over time.
NP 242 has 2hi, 4hi(Full-time), N, 4hi(part-time), 4lo(part-time). The NP 242 works exactly the same as the NP 231 EXCEPT that the 4hi(full-time) selection allows the t-case to be open allowing front and rear differentials to turn at different speeds. Any gear that says "part-time" is exactly that, only to be used 'part-time' when needed due to loss of traction. Also the part-time gear in the t-case always puts out the same amount of power front and rear.

Think im rambled a bit there, but thats the jist of it from what I understand. When I did my swap I wanted to get the 242 so that I had 4hi(full-time) but i needed a quick fix to get back on the road and first thing i found was a 95 xj with the np231.

prcjeep
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
The 242 has a full time 4X4 option. It works well on snow and ice. And yes there is a rear seal on the back of the output for the slip yoke. Make sure it is not loose, like try to wiggle it up and down. If it is, believe it or not taking the shaft out and greasing the spines sometimes works well.

Okay, ill load it up with grease and wipe it all down then monitor again.
Thanks