PDA

View Full Version : First technical question I've ever asked on any forum in 10 years

Olie's87XJ
10-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, title says it all, I do my research. I post what I've done, and what has worked for me, based on a ton of research and trial. I try to report the most honest opinion. that said, I've been around a while, and in my 10 years of xj experience, I may have seen this question, but honestly dont remember.

I have seen 231, 231 doublers, is it possible for a 231, 242 doubler? will it bolt up? I know about AW4 output shaft diameter size all too well... but i live in a part of Canada where snow and ice is a prominent part of yearly driving, and love my 242 for the "4hi, part time" selection. I was hoping to put an HD 231 off the trans, then a 242 behind that, allowing that "part time" in high, for winter roads.

any one with some insight on this?

Mudderoy
10-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Ok, title says it all, I do my research. I post what I've done, and what has worked for me, based on a ton of research and trial. I try to report the most honest opinion. that said, I've been around a while, and in my 10 years of xj experience, I may have seen this question, but honestly dont remember.

I have seen 231, 231 doublers, is it possible for a 231, 242 doubler? will it bolt up? I know about AW4 output shaft diameter size all too well... but i live in a part of Canada where snow and ice is a prominent part of yearly driving, and love my 242 for the "4hi, part time" selection. I was hoping to put an HD 231 off the trans, then a 242 behind that, allowing that "part time" in high, for winter roads.

any one with some insight on this?

Ooooo I love 242's as well, interested in this I am... :popcorn:

jeepxj95
10-23-2011, 06:22 AM
i think u mean full time not part. the 231 only has part time the 242 has both. but i think u knew that. i do rember seeing that but cant rember where. i love the 242 my dads zj has it and i loved it. i couldn't find a xj with one when i bought mine :( . there hard to find in the state for some reason.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I haven't heard of it yet. But as far as I can tell, it will work. The nose of the 242 is the same as the 231

Olie's87XJ
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks, it seemed pretty logical, but better to ask then have a pile of parts that dont work together.

Mudderoy
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks, it seemed pretty logical, but better to ask then have a pile of parts that dont work together.

I did a quick Google search to see what I could find. On Pirate4x4 a reply to this similar questions was, step one get a NP231... :smiley-whacky119: :D

4.3LXJ
10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
I realize the 231 doubler idea is relatively inexpensive. However if I was doing it, I would use a KLUNE V 4:1 underdrive. Much easier to work with and would give you the same ratios as the Atlas 4 speed.

jeepxj95
10-26-2011, 07:12 AM
what if 4.1 is to steep and the factory ratio has a better use??? like 2.72 i think thats what it is. in the case and the dub would be kool i would use it.

Olie's87XJ
10-28-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm not all that internet savvy, didnt know google did that. 98% of my time is spent on Nax.., CF, and here. I use FB as an online storage for my pics (about 100x's more of the rig than me) lol. Thank you for teaching a dumb mechanic, some of this interweb stuff... lol

Olie's87XJ
10-28-2011, 12:38 AM
I realize the 231 doubler idea is relatively inexpensive. However if I was doing it, I would use a KLUNE V 4:1 underdrive. Much easier to work with and would give you the same ratios as the Atlas 4 speed.

I have looked at the klune as well... but remember, I live in Canada, so shipping and customs comes into play when shipping. plus, I already have the two cases I want, and will need new driveshafts either way. would love the klune, to try and keep the belly pan up, but is a little out of my price range.

Mudderoy
10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not all that internet savvy, didnt know google did that. 98% of my time is spent on Nax.., CF, and here. I use FB as an online storage for my pics (about 100x's more of the rig than me) lol. Thank you for teaching a dumb mechanic, some of this interweb stuff... lol

Hey that's great! I just figure everyone knows how to Google. I haven't been saying how I found it or what I searched for fear that someone would think I was saying "hey dumbass here's how you look it up yourself" I might just start adding how I found the information if I can think of a way that it won't be taken incorrectly. :D

xj4life2
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I agree with Steve that the Klune is the way to go but if finances do allow the doubler is a good alternative. There are some differances in the shaft itself but I think that could be overcome as the actual mateing area should be the same, as long as the splines are the same. I'm sure you've seen the write up on CF about this , if not they have a decent one. Please post up and let us know how it works out , I'm sure there would be alot of intrest in this project .

4.3LXJ
10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes. PingPong on that forum has one. He is also on this forum, but not currently active. You might try PMing him.

Olie's87XJ
10-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Hey that's great! I just figure everyone knows how to Google. I haven't been saying how I found it or what I searched for fear that someone would think I was saying "hey dumbass here's how you look it up yourself" I might just start adding how I found the information if I can think of a way that it won't be taken incorrectly. :D

no worries man. I've been around enough to know where you were coming from. wasn't hostile. lol, wish text had the same inflections as spoken word...:happy0180:
these smiley things are foreign and weird to me...

to Payless... I was gonna do this as a winter project, but due to recent events, have been possibly postponed for a month to several years, was single and childless... now.... well you know....:bang:

jeepxj95
10-30-2011, 12:11 AM
it happens to all of us... plans for life go to collage ( 2010 ) get xj check and check. get gf check get job not yet build xj need job first.... june 2010 guess what... march 5th a cute lil girl. last semster off collage for now. then will find job at first of year oh wait just found last week out that theres another one on the way... oh great and sometime were getting married and moving out. lol fun fun not. and while im still trying to build my xj. oh the fun of life