PDA

View Full Version : Yep, Driveline Angles

afbond03
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok, my Jeep has been out of commission for quiet awhile now and today I made some good progress on it. I got rid of most of my vibes by adjusting my shackle relocation brackets. I didn't think to measure before I did that.
Anyways I need some help to see if I am measuring correctly or what. I have scoured and looked at many threads on this subject and I don't know if I am just having an idiot moment or what.
Here we go:
Measuring at the yoke=15
Measuring at the T.C. fill plug=O
Measuring the DS itself=15

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/afbond03/DSC03935.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/afbond03/DSC03934.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/afbond03/DSC03929.jpg

Do these makes sense and if so doesn't this mean I am dead to rights on and something else is causing my vibes? Help cause I am feeling like an idiot.

bluedragon436
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
By the way I have been reading everything online when I was researching this stuff, you are checking it correctly, and by the readings you are getting.. you should be good as far as rear angle on the driveline.. but I can't remember what the angle should be idealy for the rear driveline, to try and avoid vibes.. I am sure someone will be on here shortly that knows more about that stuff and could say if that might not be too high of an angle..

4.3LXJ
10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Whether or not they are correct, depends on what type of drive line you are using. Here is a link to explain the difference in set up.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7299

What kind of driveline are you using?

afbond03
10-22-2011, 09:34 PM
I knew to put that in the topic. Durh. Yep using a SYE with CV DS. That is the thread I've been looking at all day. I just think I am fried and need second opinions lol.

Mudderoy
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I knew to put that in the topic. Durh. Yep using a SYE with CV DS. That is the thread I've been looking at all day. I just think I am fried and need second opinions lol.

I'm having the same problem understanding this. The NON SYE set up made sense to me, but I find the SYE confusing.

afbond03
10-22-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm having the same problem understanding this. The NON SYE set up made sense to me, but I find the SYE confusing.

Yea, I now know what the teacher meant when she told me I would need math at some point.

Mudderoy
10-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Ok I read that with a SYE (and a CV drive shaft) the pinion yoke and drive shaft should be parallel, both should have the same angle.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/SYE-CV/DSC08564.jpg

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/SYE-CV/DSC08566.jpg

4.3LXJ
10-23-2011, 09:50 AM
You're OK, it's right

afbond03
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Alright, thanks. Looks like I will be pulling my front shaft today to see if it is causing the vibes.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2011, 09:56 AM
They can if they are worn out. You can tell visually if the pinion is right on a CV. It just has to be a straight shot into the diff.

afbond03
10-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I just rebuilt my front shaft not to long ago. The rear shaft is one from IRO. So if I pull the front and still get vibes, I will be putting it in the rear and seeing what happens then. Seems in my quest to figure out this angle of the dangle thing I've come across a few people with unbalanced shafts from IRO. Sure hope this isn't the case.

afbond03
10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Well I moved the front to the rear and that did seem to help some. I then put what was in the rear upfront and that seemed to be worse. So I guess I'll be taking the IRO DS somewhere this week and getting it tested for balance. Bleh!

Mudderoy
10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Well I moved the front to the rear and that did seem to help some. I then put what was in the rear upfront and that seemed to be worse. So I guess I'll be taking the IRO DS somewhere this week and getting it tested for balance. Bleh!

Did you try rotating the drive shaft 180 degrees in reference to the yoke?

afbond03
10-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Did you try rotating the drive shaft 180 degrees in reference to the yoke?

I did not.

Mudderoy
10-24-2011, 01:38 PM
I did not.

I've never tired it but I have heard you should mark the drive shaft and the yoke so you can get it back in the same way after removing it.

afbond03
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Since I am still getting vibes being at 15 on both should I use a 2 degree shim to bring the pinion down to compensate for acceleration.

4.3LXJ
10-26-2011, 11:16 AM
If you still have vibs, you need to take some measurements if you can. It saves time and money in the long run. Since you are running a CV driveline, you need to make it a straight shot into the differential. It needs to look like this when you are done.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0295.jpg

Tom Woods and some other driveline people like Six States do not recommend the 2° drop for acceleration compensation. A driveline does not deflect that much due to spring wrap unless the springs are very weak, and then only under hard acceleration. That is a myth that started on Pirate I think that should only apply to very soft rock crawling suspensions. Ford also used a straight shot on the early Bronco, also with softer springs than an XJ. If you had springs that soft, it would make a 4-5° deflection downward under deceleration and give you vibes then too.

afbond03
10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Remember, I did take measurements. I am at 15* with the ds and pinion so that lines up dead on. Guess I am going to pull the shaft and see if the main shaft itself is having the issue. IE. Bent.

afbond03
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok bumping this back up because I don't wanna go buying a bunch of different shims. It seems that being at an operating angle of 15* is high anyways and could be my main problem since my pinion and shaft are both at this. How do I go about changing this overall angle???

Niac
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Did you have the DS checked for balance yet.
You might try large hose clamps on the drive shaft. Put one on and move it around between test drives until the vibrations get less.

afbond03
11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Did you have the DS checked for balance yet.
You might try large hose clamps on the drive shaft. Put one on and move it around between test drives until the vibrations get less.

Yea. DS is good. Its def. angles because I am getting binding. I am reading that 15* is to much but it doesn't say if shims corrects this or what. To me it seems shims fix the problem when they aren't at the same angle. My issue is they are at the same angle, it is just to extreme.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Something here just doesn't sound right. 15° is not too extreme. A stock driveline will handle about 20° before binding. A double cardan will handle 40°

xj4life2
11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
15* should be fine as long as the front and the rear of the shaft are within 1* of each other. This being a CV shaft your binding may be comming from the "H" yoke inside the CV itself. If the pin, bearing are worn it will cause the CV to bind internaly.

Muddy, the marking of the yoke is just used as a precaution to insure that the shaft is "Phased" correctly. Meaning that the u joints all line up in a straight line , not even one spline off. This can cause vibration and premature wear ofthe joints.