PDA

View Full Version : BBQ

dagr8tim
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok, I know we have some southern boys around. How do you like your BBQ?

I like my pulled pork with BBQ sauce on the side so I can add what I want. Throw in some baked beans and cornbread and you have a meal.

For Ribs (& chicken), I like a nice spice rub when it first goes on and a thin layer of BBQ that is put on right before it comes off and carmalizes into crunchy goodness. I do not like gobs a BBQ that drips everywhere.

LizardRunner
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
I use a rub (brown sugar, cayanne, smoked paprika, tarragon, ground nutmeg, allspice), on the meat, slow smoke at around 250 f for 14 hours then mop on one layer of sauce. Then I place some coals under the meat and turn and mop a second time. Total cook time for a full shoulder is 16 hours. Ribs get the same treatment but only smoke for around 12 hours and 40 min over the coals. I have a side box smoker btw. I use Oak and Hickory or blend Oak, Hickory, Pecan for the wood in the side box. If I'm doing trout I use Apple, Pecan and Peach wood. and about 3 hours per 4 fish, skin on.

dagr8tim
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM
That sounds good. A smoker is on my list of things I want. I've considered taking an old propane grill that the PO left in the garage and building a fire box below it to convert it into a smoker. Or just building one from scratch.

LizardRunner
10-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I really prefer the side box style keeps it easier to manage the heat just right. One of my buddies used an old 20 lb tank to create his side box on a regular grill. another made his out of two old water heaters and another used a 55 gal drum and a half of a 20 gal drum. Me, I let my wife buy me one for christmas so I got the ceramic coated grills and a second level rack. I use mine for every type of cooking including baking cakes.

XJMJeep
10-20-2011, 12:04 AM
That's awesome Chip!
I've smoked a lot of different meats & veggies but never a cake!

bigjim350
10-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I make some pretty damn good BBQ, but won't tell you my secret. You are not allowed to use any kind of sause while eating my BBQ though.

XJMJeep
10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Would I be wrong to assume it's a "Texas style" BBQ Jim?

cantab27
10-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I make some pretty damn good BBQ, but won't tell you my secret. You are not allowed to use any kind of sause while eating my BBQ though.

fresh road kill...thats the secret :frog:

bigjim350
10-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Would I be wrong to assume it's a "Texas style" BBQ Jim?

You certainly would NOT be wrong. TX is where its at :thumbsup:

XJMJeep
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Being from Arkansas I'm so confused, there's the Texas style from the south, the Kansas & St Louis style from the north & the Carolina & Georgia style from the east, don't forget about Memphis AHGGGG :bang:
But I Love BBQ

Firemanray
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM

BBQ for locking the diff!?! Sounds like a heck of a deal!:wink:

afbond03
10-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I like pulled pork swimming in some really awesome BBQ sauce. I like ribs with dry rub usually.
I sure do miss REAL BBQ. Living out here in Wyoming there is just nobody that comes close to it, even in CO.
There is a place back home in Fayetteville Arkansas, Sassy's Red House that I HAVE to eat at while home. Damn good food all around.
I think Sweet Baby Rays is some of the best over the count BBQ sauce.