PDA

View Full Version : I am happy with my junkyard finds.

pmljeep
10-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I wish I could get a pic of it up but the formats always come up as too big. Anyway, I woke up Sunday and had a chance to get to the pick-n-pull. On the way, I felt that I was gonna find something good on my budget of $45.

Anyway, I found a stock front skid plate in good condition and was going to pull it but something said to hold off, so I held off. Anyway, I had to get going from the yard but again, something said to me to walk to the back of the JY and..... score....I found a set of thule roof racks w/ gutter mounts and then score again...I found what appears to be a valley or draw-tite cargo rack... I am going to try and get the pics up because this thread would be alot better with a pic. Anyway, paid about $40 for it all.:D:D:D Posted pic of it in my album.

I am happy cuz I was lookin into making a homebrew emt cargo rack but still needed roof rack rails cuz my xj came from the factory without them. Now I have both. Now just gotta get the 2 inch lift on, along with hella lights from the yard, other offroad lights on and my tow hook brackets on.

P.s. could use some pointers with formatting pics.

Thanks

bluedragon436
10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the JY finds... I wish I could find parts worth a crap in the two JY's we have here.. that's ok though.. hopefully I'll be able to go JY shopping while I'm TDY to Charleston, SC this coming month... As far as pic formatting... go to a site like photobucket and load them there... then copy the IMG link to a post here... easiest way to do it..

pmljeep
10-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks bluedragon...will go that route..but I was able to post a pic of it in my album. Good Luck with your JY huntin.

bluedragon436
10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey, no problem.. Hope it helps you as far as loading pics into posts.. I hope I can find something close to as good as what you found... Look forward to seeing your treasures

prcjeep
10-17-2011, 11:59 PM
What Junkyard did you go to?

bigjim350
10-18-2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=322&pictureid=2648

prcjeep
10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Jim, you post that for him? how sweet? And thats an awesome rack! good thing it wasnt at the JY i went to last week!

4.3LXJ
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
That is a nice rack.

dagr8tim
10-18-2011, 06:56 PM
My last run, I found 3 V8 ZJ's with rear disks. I now own all the parts that I would not want to replace for a disk conversion for $24.

Got all this the day after thanksgiving for $9.
http://buckeyejeeps.com/albums/11-2010_JY_Run/IMG_20101126_133425_800x598.sized.jpg
While most of this is crap, the hood vents alone were worth $9 + $2 for admission.

pmljeep
10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
What Junkyard did you go to?

Find most of this stuff at the LKQs in Houston and some at the pick-n-pull off of Shaver in Pasa-get-down-dena. I have found some smittybuilt XJ nerf bars and an older smittybuilt brushguard that were in good condition. sold the nerf bars and put on the brushguard. I also found a home brew cargo rack back in May that covers the entire roof on an XJ. It needs a couple of cross rails for the bottom but still for $25 it was a good find. Will post a pic in the album.

I think my best find so far was my never used stock gas tank skid that I bought from a dealer in Indiana. It cost me $36 for the skid and shipping. I was looking through the parts catalog on the chrysler jeep dealer's site, found the skids priced for $11 and called local dealer parts counter. Salesman said that it was discontinued but saw that there was one left in Indiana. He gave me the number I called, they checked and I bought. Pic of receipt will be in my album as well.

Good stuff dagr8tim and Thanks Bigjim. I will get pics to post in the threads soon.

702XJCruiser
10-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Lucky, great find. My local truck yards are picked clean of Jeep parts.