PDA

View Full Version : Welder Maintance

dagr8tim
10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, quick question. I'm by no means an expert and I'm just learning so forgive me if this is kinda dumb.

Sat I went to use my 110 wire welder for the first time in afew months. I know I've not been religious on cleaning it, but that's changed. Anyways, I discovered that the copper tip where the wire comes out seems to be welded to the wire. I was able to cut the wire in the welder, unscrew the tip and pull it out.

Lucky, I had a spare tip. But my question is can I save this tip? Is there a way to get the wire unstuck so I can clean the tip and keep it as a spare?

4.3LXJ
10-17-2011, 10:17 AM
You might be able to, but that is why those tips unscrew. What you did is not have enough wire speed and it burned up the wire to the tip.

bigjim350
10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I would either use a hand file on it or bump it against a grinder to get it loose then use a tip cleaner on it.

dagr8tim
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to buy a pack of tips to keep around for spares and just call that one a wash. Doesn't seem worth my effort.

Firemanray
10-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a jar of some kind of "goop" you dip your whole nozzle in, it keeps "spatter" off of the gas cup and keeps the tip from sticking like you described. I'll have to look next time I'm at the shop and see what it's called. As far as un-sticking the wire I use a pair of side cutters to grip the tiny little piece sticking out if the tip and twist and pull. If I can't get a grip on it I bump it against the grinder.

dagr8tim
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I just priced the tips, and I don't think it's worth my time. Thanks guys.

If I get bored sometime, I may try to fix it.

xjrev10
10-23-2011, 05:32 AM
I just priced the tips, and I don't think it's worth my time. Thanks guys.

If I get bored sometime, I may try to fix it.

The only time I ever fixed a tip was when I was out on a barge, 15 miles from the truck, 60 miles from the nearest store that sold the correct tips for our machine.

Get new ones. Anti spatter is NOT going to keep that from happening. It will keep spatter off your cup and your tip but will not stop the wire from sticking in the tip. Don't use too much anti spatter, you can contaminate your weld.

dagr8tim
10-23-2011, 10:29 AM
The only time I ever fixed a tip was when I was out on a barge, 15 miles from the truck, 60 miles from the nearest store that sold the correct tips for our machine.

Get new ones. Anti spatter is NOT going to keep that from happening. It will keep spatter off your cup and your tip but will not stop the wire from sticking in the tip. Don't use too much anti spatter, you can contaminate your weld.

I don't plan too. I'm just going to get a pack or two of tips and throw them in the tool box.

DETOURS
10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
The tip considered a 'consumable'.......in other words disposable. You should always try to have additional tips on hand. Anti-spat and or dip helps, but you grounded the wire to the tip the last time you used it.

A file & torch tip cleaner can restore it, if ever needed.