PDA

View Full Version : Shock Question

dagr8tim
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
It doesn't look like I'm going to get my lift on before it gets cold, but I desperately need new shocks in the rear.

Can I install the shocks I have for 3 inches of lift without any ill effects? I'm guessing the shocks will just be able to move more than the rest of the suspension. But I wanted to make sure.

bluedragon436
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Only thing I could think of is that if you hit a bump it will cause the shocks to bottom out.. since they are usually more extended during normal use @ lift height, than they would be @ normal use but with the stock height..

4.3LXJ
10-15-2011, 07:00 PM
It won't be a problem if you lower your bumpstops so the shocks won't bottom out, which you should do anyway.

dagr8tim
10-15-2011, 08:24 PM
It won't be a problem if you lower your bumpstops so the shocks won't bottom out, which you should do anyway.

I had planned on throwing some 1" square tubing in when I did the lift. I just hate the thought of putting new shocks on and then lifting it this spring.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I had planned on throwing some 1" square tubing in when I did the lift. I just hate the thought of putting new shocks on and then lifting it this spring.

It should be inch and one half.

DETOURS
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Get under there, take your new shock & compress it in it's aprox position, check & see how much shaft is exposed.......that will tell you. ;)

Say you only have an inch of shaft exposed, dont do it.

dagr8tim
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Get under there, take your new shock & compress it in it's aprox position, check & see how much shaft is exposed.......that will tell you. ;)

Say you only have an inch of shaft exposed, dont do it.

Thank you sir.