PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the gold country

Skipper51
10-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I can't remember how I found this site. Probably just surfing looking for XJ info. :confused:

I haven't listened to the pod cast yet but what a great idea! :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of my rig:
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Timothy254/Detours%20Backbone%20-%20Super%20Wench/792011SierraButtesEmail11.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Timothy254/Gold%20Valley%208-28-2011/8-27-2011FourWheelin13.jpg :rolleye0012:

I think I am building backward. I mean that I see everyone else gets a lift, then get big tires. Then start getting bumpers, UCA, LCA, Track Bars, wenches like that. :morningcoffee:

I will end (well not end) with tires and gears after I build most of the rest. The problem with this is I am limited on the trail so it is difficult to do the more difficult trails. Good thing is that I am limited on the trail so I have to rely on my driving skills, such as they are, and not tire size. This should have accelerated my off road skills. :watermelon:

Well there you go. A little about me and how I am building my rig.

bigjim350
10-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Good looking xj. Welcome to the site :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
10-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Tim. I am from gold country too. The river within sight of my house was dredged near Chico,CA. I ended up doing it backwards too. Wheee arw you at?

pvt.tadpolxj
10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome to xjtalk. From Denison, Texas...:greensmilies-017:

jccatt
10-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice green update, welcome. How did you mount the winch?

bluedragon436
10-15-2011, 06:11 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!! Don't know if it is really a matter of building backwards.. everyone builds at their own pace, and order.. I got my lift and larger tires.. not only for offroad use.. but also for snow driving and search and rescue use...

Skipper51
10-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi Tim. I am from gold country too. The river within sight of my house was dredged near Chico,CA. I ended up doing it backwards too. Wheee arw you at?

Outside of Nevada City on the San Juan Ridge. A place called Ananda Village.

I like your Torus Fan and home made fan shroud up grade. How is that working for you?

I love Cherokee's. As we build this one it is going to be hard to keep it our only vehicle so we are thinking of getting another just for a strictly DD.

Nice forum. Seems everyone is very active.

Skipper51
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Nice green update, welcome. How did you mount the winch?

Thank you!

I got a Detours Backbone with a winch plate. I love the look of a stock Cherokee and want to keep mine that way as long as I can. The Backbone is the only way I can see to do that and have a strong recovery, winching platform.

I have ordered the Tailbone from Detours too and Mark said that I should have it by the beginning of December 2011.:rolleye0012: This will retain the stock bumper again but give me two more recovery points and move the spare-tire outside and to the driver side so it keep more of the visibility from the drivers seat.

Next problem to solve is how to keep my stock flares and run 33's on a 4.5" lift. :confused:

Skipper51
10-16-2011, 02:25 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!! Don't know if it is really a matter of building backwards.. everyone builds at their own pace, and order.. I got my lift and larger tires.. not only for offroad use.. but also for snow driving and search and rescue use...

How do yo like doing search and rescue work. I am looking into throwing my hat into that ring myself. What a blessing it would be to be able to help someone with my Cherokee. :thumbsup:

I feel I need to wait until I do install my bigger tires and get a little more trail ready.

jccatt
10-16-2011, 04:39 PM
To keep stock flares look at 16" rims and metric size tyres. They are not as wide.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Outside of Nevada City on the San Juan Ridge. A place called Ananda Village.

I like your Torus Fan and home made fan shroud up grade. How is that working for you?

I love Cherokee's. As we build this one it is going to be hard to keep it our only vehicle so we are thinking of getting another just for a strictly DD.

Nice forum. Seems everyone is very active.

The fam works great. It moves enough air I don't mees an auxiliary fan this time of year. I know where your at. My soms live om Grass Valley