PDA

View Full Version : Heads up while upgrading + and - supply wiring.

Converted96XJ
10-13-2011, 09:45 PM
So back in June I decided to upgrade my wiring from the puny OEM stuff to 4 gauge since I was installing a decent amp (1500W RMS) and lighting and some other components. I bought the necessary 4G wire and connectors from radio shack and got on it.

I replaced the wire from the alternator to the PCM, from the PCM to the Battery.

I replaced the Ground from battery to chassis, battery to block.

I havnet done the strap on the engine to firewall and I didnt do the + wire to the starter.. I was just wanting better output from the alternator at this point.

Everything went fine with the conversion, whether or not it made a difference, maybe a little, but i think i have the little puny 96A alternator or whatever it is. So a ZJ upgrade is in the future when i burn this one up.

Anyway the other day I am headed to pick my son up and the GEN light comes on, I look at my volts and they are sitting at 9... I am like Great..the alternator went.

I got to my moms and noticed the wire that attached to the alternator rotted away at the ring terminal. I mean it was nasty and corroded all the way through.... in 3 months. obviously no snow or anything yet.. lol just probably got it wet in some puddles and rain.

Anyway I got it put back together, new connector and greased it up before I put the boot back on, until I can figure out a different solution.

At this point I dont know if it is crap wire, or the fact that it is very fine stranded or what.

Just a warning to put some anti-corrosive stuff on any upgrade wiring that may get wet, check that you have or are paying for good wire too. I am seriously thinking of just getting a standard thicker battery grade cable.

LizardRunner
10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
thin wires in awg type wire are a royal pita in vehicles. best bet is to go to an electrician supply house and replace with thicker stranded wire and you will see a marked improvement both in connections and less corrosion.

bluedragon436
10-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I would try and pick up some thicker strand either battery cable, or welding cable.. then I would also look at putting some dielectric grease in there.. and cover the connection from wire to the terminal end with some heat shrink... That is what I plan to do when I finally get around to doing this upgrade to my XJ hopefully during the winter..

XJ^remy
10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
was the wires' insulation oil/chemical resistant?... it'd be the safest to use when the wires will be exposed to elements (whether chemicals, water, or mud/dirt)

higher strand count/larger cross sectional area = better current carrying capacity... + whats been mentioned, dielectric grease & heat shrink, no corroded connections:thumbsup:

also, definitely upgrade the ground strap & lead to the starter... with the starter u'll get better start up & the ground strap should be replaced to match the rest of the system... think of electric wires are like water pipes in a loop... optimally, the feed/input should match the return/output

oderdene
10-14-2011, 06:08 AM
was the wires' insulation oil/chemical resistant?... it'd be the safest to use when the wires will be exposed to elements (whether chemicals, water, or mud/dirt)

higher strand count/larger cross sectional area = better current carrying capacity... + whats been mentioned, dielectric grease & heat shrink, no corroded connections:thumbsup:

also, definitely upgrade the ground strap & lead to the starter... with the starter u'll get better start up & the ground strap should be replaced to match the rest of the system... think of electric wires are like water pipes in a loop... optimally, the feed/input should match the return/output

2X all of them and welding cable is best choice

DeftwillP
10-23-2011, 10:23 PM
One thing to consider (not that I think this is the reason your problem happened), did you put any kind of fusable link in line between the alt and pdc/battery?