PDA

View Full Version : Wiper arm removal

TheWeiss
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
The paint on the arms for my wiper blades are looking a little worse for wear. I want to hit them with a quick coat of paint (rattle can) but I think it would be easier if I could take them off. It looks like there is some kind of a pin holding them on but I'm not sure how exactly they come off. I could play around with it a little more and figure them out for myself but why waste the time when I can tap the vast resources of XJTalk!

Let me know if you've done this and how I can take them off. I also want to get them off because the passenger side blade currently hangs off the windshield. It doesn't really effect the wipers effectiveness but I'm sure it prematurely ages the blade on that side. I think that if I get the wiper arm off I should be able to, ever so slightly, bend the piece back to where it should be.

Indiana Jeep
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I used a screw driver to pull the piece up that holds it in place. It does not come all the way out. Then you can just pull the arm assembly or like I had to tap it up with the screwdriver handle.

dagr8tim
10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I normally use a pair of needle nose vice grips, but the same basic procedure as mentioned above. It's also a good idea to do the rear at the same time.

XJ Wheeler
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
You said the passenger side wiper hangs off the windshield, you can adjust it. The shaft and arm are splined so when you go to re-install the arm just place it one or two splines higher.

prerunner1982
10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I had to take mine off to reposition them as well. Take a small screw driver and pry the locking mechanism, it should just slide out and then wiggle the arm off. Due to the spring tension on the arm, if you try to use the wiper arm to take it off the splined post it may bind up. Try to take a small flat head screw driver and pry up on the part that slides over the splined post.

As far as the wiper hitting the trim I believe there is a worn bushing.. (I have the same issue).

Here is a website that addresses that. http://mikestrawbridge.com/blog/2011/05/replace-windshield-wiper-bushings-on-a-jeep-cherokee/

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c152800a9d4c_1.jpg

bluedragon436
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey thanks for the write-up on how to remove the wiper arm.. was looking to remove all three of mine, and repaint them, as they are starting to get faded and just lacking paint..

dagr8tim
10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
I did mine afew years back with a satin black industrial paint and was very happy. I need to pull them, scotch bright them, and shoot them again because they are starting to look shabby,

tiny43
10-27-2011, 11:42 PM
What about the rear one it does not have the same tab on a 92?

dagr8tim
10-28-2011, 08:38 AM
What about the rear one it does not have the same tab on a 92?

There is a plastic cap that you remove and there is a 10 or 13mm nut under it. Take the nut off and pull the arm off. Be careful with the plastic cap because they are cheap and brittle with age.

Mudderoy
10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I've got to take them off the 99. When the guy replaced the windshield he didn't put them back in the right place. They are up about a 1.5 inches high.

I think I'll paint them while I have them off.

702XJCruiser
10-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Good stuff. Mine are looking ugly and need a shot of paint.

jeepxj95
10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
There is a plastic cap that you remove and there is a 10 or 13mm nut under it. Take the nut off and pull the arm off. Be careful with the plastic cap because they are cheap and brittle with age.

thats for the 97+ xjs the 96 b4s have a tab like the fronts do. all else fails go to ur parts store and ask if they can print off the how to for it. thats what i did