PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Outage

dagr8tim
10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't know if anyone is following this, but have you heard? Blackberry has literally millions of users out in Asia, Africa, & the middle east. Now it looks like it's spreading to the America's.

Anyone think this is the last nail for Rim & Blackberry?

Mudderoy
10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't know if anyone is following this, but have you heard? Blackberry has literally millions of users out in Asia, Africa, & the middle east. Now it looks like it's spreading to the America's.

Anyone think this is the last nail for Rim & Blackberry?

I heard on the news they had a switch go out, and the backup switch didn't fail over correctly.

dagr8tim
10-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I heard on the news they had a switch go out, and the backup switch didn't fail over correctly.

I heard something about that, but it's been 3 days. Seems kinda fishy that they wouldn't be able to deploy a replacement switch and reconfigure in 3 days.

bluedragon436
10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah I have heard about this... I also find it a bit odd they haven't been able to bring this service back up yet... Going to have to say that I know a lot of folks will be a bit shy to go to another smart phone after losing this service!! Luckily they are all addicted to the smart phones... so they will still spend the money to go to another provider and pick up a new smart phone

dagr8tim
10-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah I have heard about this... I also find it a bit odd they haven't been able to bring this service back up yet... Going to have to say that I know a lot of folks will be a bit shy to go to another smart phone after losing this service!! Luckily they are all addicted to the smart phones... so they will still spend the money to go to another provider and pick up a new smart phone

Blackberry has an awesome model. It's great for business.

The problem is that 90% of your data has to go through RIM's servers in Canada. When those servers/equipment go down, you're screwed.

Those of us with Android or iPhones are having no issues. RIM has lost 58% of it's stock value this year. It was already circling the drain. This is the final nail.

afbond03
10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Until a company matches their email push the DoD will keep them in business. Commanders were freaking out today since they weren't getting their emails.

dagr8tim
10-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Until a company matches their email push the DoD will keep them in business. Commanders were freaking out today since they weren't getting their emails.

Good point. Maybe this will serve as a wake up call to DOD about single points of failure.