PDA

View Full Version : Oil-Less Turkey Cooker

afbond03
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
So, I got the in-laws coming out for Christmas this year it looks like so I was thinking of frying a turkey. Figure I will do a test run with one on Thanksgiving for the wife and I. I first started looking at the regular fryers that use oil but then came across the ones that cook via infrared and run off propane. I like this alot better as it seems it would be less of a hassle and safer.
So anyone here use one? Got a brand you like? I've read some pretty good reviews of the char-broil one on Amazon and am leaning towards it right now.
Just looking for some input or good turkey frying recipes.

Mudderoy
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
So, I got the in-laws coming out for Christmas this year it looks like so I was thinking of frying a turkey. Figure I will do a test run with one on Thanksgiving for the wife and I. I first started looking at the regular fryers that use oil but then came across the ones that cook via infrared and run off propane. I like this alot better as it seems it would be less of a hassle and safer.
So anyone here use one? Got a brand you like? I've read some pretty good reviews of the char-broil one on Amazon and am leaning towards it right now.
Just looking for some input or good turkey frying recipes.

Unless your nickname is Bubba and your drunk at the time the multi gallons of 200+ degree oil isn't really all that dangerous. I've cooked two turkeys and really the key is having a way to control the bird's entry into the oil.

I saw a really nice set up that involved a standard wooden ladder, a pulley and a rope. If you screw up all your going to lose is the ladder and the turkey.

What happens is you have too much oil in the pot and as you lower the turkey in the super hot oil it starts to over flow. I think people either panic or don't have the upper body strength to pull the turkey out.

It really is dangerous, but if you think it through and keep it away from the house and yourself you'll have a tasty treat!

I'm afraid IR turkey would taste like baked chips. :smiley-laughing021:

OrangeXJ
10-11-2011, 02:47 AM
A simple way to not put too much oil in the pot is to put the bird in an empty pot then fill it with water until the bird is covered. Remove the bird and note the water level. Thats how much oil you put in the pot. Be sure to dry the bird off before putting it in the hot oil or you will have a big mess on your hands.

BlueXJ
10-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Interesting, I have not heard of the gas fired IR cooker, but will search since no one offered a link.

afbond03
10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yea, I really am not to worried about the safety hazards and what not, just was mentioning it. I cook often and know the risk. I've just decided not having to deal with a ton of oil to dispose of afterwards sounds nice.
This is what I am looking at:
Amazon.com: Char-Broil 10101480/08101480 The Big Easy Oil-Less Infrared Turkey Fryer: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CsjrIeTRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41CsjrIeTRL

If anything the site will make a few dollars, lol.

Mudderoy
10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Yea, I really am not to worried about the safety hazards and what not, just was mentioning it. I cook often and know the risk. I've just decided not having to deal with a ton of oil to dispose of afterwards sounds nice.
This is what I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-10101480-08101480-Oil-Less-Infrared/dp/B001HBI7D8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1318369911&sr=8-12

If anything the site will make a few dollars, lol.

Ahhh ok, yeah the oil sucks. I found that you can just dump it in the yard. It doesn't hurt anything and it's biodegradable. Afraid it would kill the grass I just poured it out along the backyard fence line.

I just think DEEP FRIED anything will taste better. :D

steph74
10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
isn't a gas powered infra red cooker also called an oven ? lol

Well fried Turkey is not dangerous at all nor difficult if you follow a couple of "safety" rules (like turning of the burner when you put the turkey in so that if it boils over you don;t catch on fire ;) )

In my opinion, Turkey is not a very good meat so (because my wife is attached to the Thanksgiving turkey tradition) when I cook it, I do prefer the oven with plenty of spice and stuff to get that meat to taste better ;)

afbond03
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Yea, well this method resembles the method of frying one lol. I think at this point having to get rid of the oil is what turns me away from the traditional frying method. This would also free up my oven to get other items cooked.