PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for towing

Jarlaxle
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
It's a 1997 Sport, 4.0/AW4/NP231, stock axles (D30/8.25") and gears (3.54's, I expect), will have LT235/75R15C tires on stock 5-spoke wheels, currently has a 2" reciever and a 4-pin connecter, no brake controller. Trailer will be a lightweight camper, about 3000-3600lbs, electric brakes.

I know I need:
Brake controller and wiring
Wiring for 7-pin connecter
Trans cooler
Taillight converter (which it SHOULD have)

I want:
Trans temp gauge
Heavy-duty shocks
The temp gauge to stay below 220! :mad0090:

So...does anyone make a plug-and-play connecter for the brake controller in a Cherokee? I have done some research and am now totally confused. I found THIS (http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html), designed to pulg into a factory 4-pole trailer connecter & it looks like it will work.

Also, going on the theory of "you cannot overcool an automatic transmission", any suggestions for a good cooler? I have pretty much decided that I want the biggest one I can fit without major surgery, but anyone have a part number to make my life easier?

Carves
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I want:
Trans temp gauge
Heavy-duty shocks
The temp gauge to stay below 220! :mad0090:

Tranny temp gauge can be either a sensor in the sump/oil line ...
or something like this ... which is what I use .... http://enginewatchdog.com/tm2.html

Monroe have pump up & coil assist shockies ... but airbags would probably be a better option ... considering the XJs shockie mounts.

Im using a 10" x 10" stacked plate cooler with the radiator bypassed .... that finally has the tranny temps under control. Warms up to about 160* ... and hardly changes after that.

Theres some B&M cooler numbers floating around various forums, with writeups ..... that people seem happy with.

bluedragon436
10-09-2011, 05:33 PM
The 7-pin adapter kit you posted the link for, was the same one that was used in my 98' XJ when I first bought it.. It had a brake controller in it when I first bought it.. I have left all the wiring in there in the event I ever decide to pick up a trailer I might need a controller for.. I'll just have to pick up a new controller as mine got throw away.. I basically wired in a similar setup to that one in my wife's 04' Ram, to give her the 7-pin harness, and then added the needed wires for the brake controller since she hauls horse trailers.. it is a very simple install..

Does the rear of your XJ sink at all during normal use?? If so you might want to look into replacing your factory springs, otherwise you'll just wear out those new shocks with the trailer hooked up..

Jarlaxle
10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't actually HAVE an XJ yet...I am looking at a 97 Sport 4-door (auto) and a 98 SE 2-door (5-speed) at a small dealer. Both sit level, rear springs look OK. I think the PO towed a boat with the 97, judging by the boat ramp sticker on the windshield.

How do you like the wiring setup, Bluedragon...is it OK, or should I look for something else?

bigjim350
10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
If your gonna tow a lot id get the 5sp 2dr. 2drs are cooler anyways

Sent from my VM670

Jarlaxle
10-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately, the 98 has a few downsides, compared to the 97. Offhand...

176,000 miles (versus 162K)
No tilt/cruise
Idiot-light dash with only speedo & fuel gauge
Aftermarket head unit with questionable installation (it's loose & wobbly in the dash)
Fan shroud missing
No trailer hitch or wiring
Big rust spot just behind the driver's door

Also, aren't the 5-speeds only rated to tow 2000lbs? All else being equal, I would prefer the 98 (I much prefer a manual trans and am not thrilled with the 97's bright-red paint), but between no gauges, no cruise, no hitch, and rust, I'm leaning toward the 97.

bluedragon436
10-09-2011, 06:46 PM
The wiring setup looks fine.. I mean I'm not a huge fan of the added relays and the household wiring that they use.. but if I were to install the one that is in my XJ myself, I would just mount them and run the wire out of site anyways.. so I would say go with that kit.. hell.. you can usually hit a camper place or any place that installs hitches.. and they could either install it for you.. or recommend the best option.. I would hit that 97 if it has more positives over the 98.. Not really worth the added issues just for one year newer vehicle...

Jarlaxle
10-09-2011, 07:01 PM
It's not the 1 year newer I want, it's the standard shift! :)

LizardRunner
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I have the five speed and have towed a 2000 lb tongue weight trailer with electric brakes. This is a 7' x 14' fully enclosed trailer. I pull my boat like it isn't even there. If you are going to tow something heavier gross weight than 4k lbs. a fifth spring in the pack is needed. I would also recomend at least an LSD in the rear. When I've got the bike garage hooked up with it's 2 5/16" ball, I usually need 4x4 to get rolling, then I can switch back. I am probably going to add air bags to the rear, just so I sit level with the big trailer hooked up. I have not tried this setup in the mountains so far but I think I will be able to make it.

xjrev10
10-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I have the five speed and have towed a 2000 lb tongue weight trailer with electric brakes. This is a 7' x 14' fully enclosed trailer. I pull my boat like it isn't even there. If you are going to tow something heavier gross weight than 4k lbs. a fifth spring in the pack is needed. I would also recomend at least an LSD in the rear. When I've got the bike garage hooked up with it's 2 5/16" ball, I usually need 4x4 to get rolling, then I can switch back. I am probably going to add air bags to the rear, just so I sit level with the big trailer hooked up. I have not tried this setup in the mountains so far but I think I will be able to make it.

My 2008 Ram 2500 is not rated for 2k tongue weight!!!

LizardRunner
10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
My 2008 Ram 2500 is not rated for 2k tongue weight!!!

I've pulled this trailer with a v-8 chevy van, the xj just does ok, probably because I have a five leaf spring pack. I want to bag the rear so I sit level and yeah it doesn't go great but it does go. I got the trailer for towing behind our 32 foot rv originally. We've also pulled it with a 3/4 ton chevy pu. If I loaded it up with all it will hold, or if I used it like a work trailer, I would have to have a 1 ton pu. I keep the weight down pretty well. the bike and gear weigh in at around 2000 lb and shift the weight to over the axles. The dealer is the one that gave me the tongue weight.

xjrev10
10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I've pulled this trailer with a v-8 chevy van, the xj just does ok, probably because I have a five leaf spring pack. I want to bag the rear so I sit level and yeah it doesn't go great but it does go. I got the trailer for towing behind our 32 foot rv originally. We've also pulled it with a 3/4 ton chevy pu. If I loaded it up with all it will hold, or if I used it like a work trailer, I would have to have a 1 ton pu. I keep the weight down pretty well. the bike and gear weigh in at around 2000 lb and shift the weight to over the axles. The dealer is the one that gave me the tongue weight.

Honestly think about it. Tongue weight is the weight on the coupler of your ball hitch. I have a 18 foot 10k car trailer, loaded with a Xj, has right around 700 pounds of tongue weight. Trailer weights 2k, jeep weights 4k, so around a 6k load!

cantab27
10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
( not thrilled with the 97's bright-red paint),

:rolleye0012:......is anyone:thumbsup:

LizardRunner
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Honestly think about it. Tongue weight is the weight on the coupler of your ball hitch. I have a 18 foot 10k car trailer, loaded with a Xj, has right around 700 pounds of tongue weight. Trailer weights 2k, jeep weights 4k, so around a 6k load!

Yeah, I hear you on that. I seriously doubt the dealer knew what he was talking about. My neighbor and I can pick up the tounge even now with the bike and lots of other stuff in there. It has double axles and electric brakes. I think the dealer didn't know what he was talking about, come to think of it this was the same dealer that f'd up my rv by not knowing a 30 amp rv means 30 amp main breaker. Maybe there's a plate that tells the real story. I'll try to find it this weekend and post it up. I mean how heavy could it really be? 14x7 fully enclosed with a ramp back door.

Jarlaxle
10-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I doubt the tongue is anywhere NEAR 2000lbs! My friend's 35' Terry camper is less than half of that tongue weight, and that's a 7500lb trailer! (He pulls it with an F-250.) Wild guess for your 14' trailer: about 3-400lbs, maybe 500 if loaded very front-heavy.

LizardRunner
10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Read the plate, it is a 2k lb trailer, not the freaking tounge weight. I have no faith at all at anything anyone at camping world says anymore. Tongue weight un loaded is 200 lb.