PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

dagr8tim
10-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Anyone got one? I feel an android tablet calling my name.

I already have a Droid X, and had the original Droid before that.

bigjim350
10-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I have the acer a500. it works great

dagr8tim
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Android?

bigjim350
10-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah its Android 3.0

4.3LXJ
10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
We looked at an Ipad today. The wife wants one pretty bad. I gather it would be very compatible with our macs

afbond03
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I had a Viewsonic G-Tab for a little bit, sold it, realized I just didn't use it often. I bought a HP Touchpad when they went on sale for $149 and am now patiently waiting for them to get Android fully functional on it. I love WebOs though so it doesn't bother me. I just play on forums with it anyways.
The way tablets are coming out these days it really is hard to decide on one. It seems like a new comes out weekly. I def. would go with Honeycomb on one though. I think as long as it has a sd card slot and HDMI out your pretty good to go on it doing whatever you'd wanna throw at it. I wish more companies would put GPS in them though. Lenovo has a cheapo one for like $199 that does stand alone GPS, yet these $500+ can't.

dagr8tim
10-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I really want a tablet. I want to drop my Droid X, and use the data plan on that line so I can keep the unlimited data.

Then get another line for a texting phone.

Mudderoy
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I should have picked up the HP tablet a few days ago. Many of my co-workers have picked them up. I wasn't very interested since I thought it was a dead end. Now I hear talks of Amazon purchasing WebOS.

BlueXJ
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a Galaxy Tab with droid OS and I am happy with it. My wife got the urge last Christmas for an iPad so I got her one but she rarely even picks it up. Her desire was to download books and read them from the Pad, but sadly that was just a fad. She likes my Galaxy and we may swap if I can learn how to use her iPad.

Mudderoy
10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
I have a Galaxy Tab with droid OS and I am happy with it. My wife got the urge last Christmas for an iPad so I got her one but she rarely even picks it up. Her desire was to download books and read them from the Pad, but sadly that was just a fad. She likes my Galaxy and we may swap if I can learn how to use her iPad.

Best book reader is the Kindle from Amazon. That e-paper is easy on the eyes, and you need to charge it anywhere from 2 weeks to a month! They have them for $79 now.

Indiana Jeep
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I got a Nook color for christmas. It uses an Android bas os but I am not sure of the name. It's good but it has a lot of glitches and almost no customer support from Barnes & Noble. There are some web sites about hacking it to make it a full android tablet, been thinking about checking it out but havn't done it yet.

steph74
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Yep that iconia tablet is awesome.... of course I had to root it and load some custom roms on it to get it to work with netflix and hulu.... but in the end I love the USB port, I love the SD card, camera is good, speed is adequate.

Battery is not that great and it last less than the ipad
aftermarket service on the net is great

I would only love it more if I could use it at work lol... something in it is scanning ports and the university network has banned the mac adress until I figure it out.... and I have not yet lol

but i don;t know if you can get it with data plan or not... mine is wifi only ;)

and the best part is... Price tag... $398 on sale for $348 at walmart.... I got this one was the last one so I negotiated a $303 nice price... and they were offering a $100 gift card with it..... so since it was at the time of back to school for the kids... that gift card was well used ;)

bluedragon436
10-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I have an iPad and have been using it quite a bit during my deployment... It was actually pretty easy to begin using... actually pretty much replaced my netbook with it.. I got to use a Galaxy Tab for a bit while I was deployed.. I think if I were to purchase a new tablet.. I would probably look into this one.. My dad has the Asus Transformer with the clip on keyboard.. and he says he loves it. He said it doesn't completely replace his Macbook Pro.. but comes pretty close to it for most jobs..

afbond03
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I got a Nook color for christmas. It uses an Android bas os but I am not sure of the name. It's good but it has a lot of glitches and almost no customer support from Barnes & Noble. There are some web sites about hacking it to make it a full android tablet, been thinking about checking it out but havn't done it yet.

Def. look into it. It can turn the Nook into a great tablet.

saar
10-11-2011, 01:10 AM
A friend of mine got an Acer, I don't remember its model, it has a docking keyboard and looks very nice, I think they have an Android version (he got the Windows one).
I like the idea of a docking keyboard, it makes it a laptop when you need it...
Saar

BlueXJ
10-11-2011, 01:40 AM
The iPad my wife got came with a keyboard docking station which is still in the box wrapped in factory plastic. In my opinion it can do what any computer can do especially with a wireless printer.

dagr8tim
10-11-2011, 06:39 AM
I want one and will probably get one when I get paid again. Not sure which one.

jccatt
10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Be interested if anyone has an android tablet and is using it as a gps.

Mudderoy
10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
In my not so humble opinion these are over grown smart phones without the ability to make landline type of calls. So if you can get a smart phone for $99 you'll soon be able to get a tablet for $99, with service of course.

You can then load Skype, or whatever VoIP solution you want on it and make and receive phone calls through it, if you must.

Frankly I think we are seeing a switch from voice communications to pure text. It's too convenient to respond as you have time, or feel like it, instead of stopping every thing and talking on the phone.

afbond03
10-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Be interested if anyone has an android tablet and is using it as a gps.

I used my G-Tab as GPS for a trip home to Arkansas. It was nice but I had to use a bluetooth GPS dongle and downloaded maps which wasn't the simplest thing for some reason.

dagr8tim
10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I used my droid X as a GPS all the time. I use my non activated Droid as a car GPS because I have a car dock for it.