PDA

View Full Version : Tach/Speedometer problems

JMadigan
10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi all,
I recently had to pull my engine to extract broken engine mount bolts in the short block. For the first 3 days after I had everything all back together it all worked fine; then on the 4th or 5th day the tach gauge, speedometer and fuel gauge all randomly shut off (all together). It only happens at random times or upon heavy acceleration, it is spastic or 'twitchy' when it does happen. I was wondering if there is a point were they all ground together, or if there are any similarities they share that could be causing the problem.
Thanks, and anything helps!
J. Maddy

LizardRunner
10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
You said it.. time to check the ground straps or better, replace them with heavier ones.

Mudderoy
10-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi all,
I recently had to pull my engine to extract broken engine mount bolts in the short block. For the first 3 days after I had everything all back together it all worked fine; then on the 4th or 5th day the tach gauge, speedometer and fuel gauge all randomly shut off (all together). It only happens at random times or upon heavy acceleration, it is spastic or 'twitchy' when it does happen. I was wondering if there is a point were they all ground together, or if there are any similarities they share that could be causing the problem.
Thanks, and anything helps!
J. Maddy

There is a known issue with the 98's. Everything on my dash stops working at the air bag light comes on. Bad ground, usually happens during cold weather. I hit the dash and I'm good for 1200 miles. :out:

prerunner1982
10-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Also the connector on the back of the gauge cluster is known to have issues. Sometimes it is as easy as cleaning the plugs and putting some dielectric grease on it. There is a new designed plug available through Jeep to fix the issue.

With the recent engine pull, I would also suspect a ground issue but I would rule out the cluster plug either....

JMadigan
10-08-2011, 02:15 PM
This morning I went and checked all the ground to the engine block and found 3 on the passenger side of the block that were loose. They all bolted in between the 5 and 6 spark plug-wires. since I tightened it everything has been working good! :D I'll update if anything changes. thanks for all the responses!

-JMaddy