PDA

View Full Version : Durango steering box upgrade

JENSSEN
10-06-2011, 12:07 AM
If you didn't know I blew my steering box at the last competition,.. I had no idea what blew but I knew it was the box.

Once it was out it was evident

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/bf6cc149.jpg

So time to upgrade to the Durango box so here they are side by side;

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/48829f39.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/660815d7.jpg

To do this mod was a 1 out of 10 for difficulty , no harder than factory replacement. You need to reuse your XJ pitman arm on the durango box btw. I did however bitc# a line so I can't tell you about the radius or rate of the new box. Later,... But here it is installed

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/RACE4THECURE/2000e265.jpg

Thanks to my sponsor Jay at Chandaauto.ca for the help and shop space as my hand is still gimped.

Oh btw it's a 99 Durango box used in this mod.

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Oh very nice, I've been wondering about this mod. Love the sized side by side comparison. Was there any obstacles in the installation?

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I've been needing to replace my worn out box and was thinking about doing this. I've been reading up on it and have seen something about using spacers to move the box away from the frame for clearance. Did you do this and is it necessary?

JENSSEN
10-06-2011, 02:00 AM
None what so ever , super easy swap only minor issue was the spacer between the frame and box needed to flex a bit more when bolted in due to the diameter difference, like I said earlier 1 out of 10 for difficulty 1 being the easiest.

JENSSEN
10-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I've been needing to replace my worn out box and was thinking about doing this. I've been reading up on it and have seen something about using spacers to move the box away from the frame for clearance. Did you do this and is it necessary?

If you wanted a few washers and longer bolts if you have unibody reinforcements,.. I would recommend unibody reinforcements as the body of this box is beefier,.. Once I have lines hooked up I will post the out come. I am pretty sure I was 3.75 lock to lock before the Durango is 3 lock to lock

bluedragon436
10-06-2011, 04:11 AM
I am on the prowl for a Durango box when I get home.. Have been looking at this mod the whole deployment..

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Looks awesome. I'm not sure if I want to do this or a PSC hydro assist.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I currently have a box set up for hydro assist. The thing about hydto assist is that needs greater pump volume so you don' run out of oil when turming the wheel quickly. I also hbought a larger pump with more pressure for the future upgrade. My opinion is tjat if the Durango pump would fit that it would be a good upgrade also.

XJ4IV
10-06-2011, 12:20 PM
jennsenn where would I drill and tap this durango box for hydro assist? Im thinking of doing this as well cause Im going to the 37s but may end up in the 40 range before all is said and done... like when my jeep is no longer usable

jeepxj95
10-07-2011, 12:01 AM
looking forward to doing this upgrade my box is junk and tried of the play in the streeing wheel

steph74
10-07-2011, 09:33 AM
interesting.... this has to be the first write up on a swap like that I read that rate that as easy to do and true direct bolt in...
gives me confidence to attempt that when ready for upgrade as I too am tired of the play in the steering ;)

bluedragon436
10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't have any play in my steering wheel.. but would like a better ratio for turning my 33's over the stock box.. am def. going JY grazing this week while I'm inprocessing back to the states..

Mudderoy
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
interesting.... this has to be the first write up on a swap like that I read that rate that as easy to do and true direct bolt in...
gives me confidence to attempt that when ready for upgrade as I too am tired of the play in the steering ;)

I agree. I hate making my daily driver a guinea pig for these things.

JENSSEN
10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
I am not sure where you would tap the box for aux steering gear to be honest, but I will attack that later this winter I am sure. I did do research on the swap before I did it so it made the selection of box and year of truck to get it out of easy. Now I should have the full results later when I finally get my new pressure line on!

4.3LXJ
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
looking forward to doing this upgrade my box is junk and tried of the play in the streeing wheel

You can easily adjust the play out of yoir box. Allit takes is a wrench and an allen wrench

Mudderoy
10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
You can easily adjust the play out of yoir box. Allit takes is a wrench and an allen wrench

Unless it was the pitman arm like mine.

I think I fixed it btw. I hit it several times with a mini-sledge and over torqued it. I don't think that pitman arm I got from you was bad now. I had two doing the same thing.

JENSSEN
10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
New steering box was tested on www.chandaauto.ca king one winch customer appreciation run,...A++ , had to make some little adjustments on the steering radius but after I Tweeked it seems waaay better, stronger and faster.