PDA

View Full Version : RIP Steve Jobs

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Title says it all... While not surprising, it was shocking.

oderdene
10-05-2011, 07:37 PM
so sad, he bring many good things to world,

LizardRunner
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
The man was way ahead of his time. While eveyone uses a gui like "windows" It was Steve that came up with the whole GUI concept. He was indeed the Mac Daddy we should all love and thank for all the things he introduced the world to. If he had not shown bill gates his interface, windows would not be around. He treated his workers well, and was an honorable man who took care of his own as if they were family. I will miss the pirate Jobs mostly because it only leaves his lesser pirate gates walking in this realm. His vision of our future will move forward though, he always thought ahead at least ten years.

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
The man was way ahead of his time. While eveyone uses a gui like "windows" It was Steve that came up with the whole GUI concept. He was indeed the Mac Daddy we should all love and thank for all the things he introduced the world to. If he had not shown bill gates his interface, windows would not be around. He treated his workers well, and was an honorable man who took care of his own as if they were family. I will miss the pirate Jobs mostly because it only leaves his lesser pirate gates walking in this realm. His vision of our future will move forward though, he always thought ahead at least ten years.

The Window GUI as we know it was developed by Xerox's Palo Alto research facility. When it folded, the employee's went to either Microsoft or Apple. MIT was also doing something with GUI's in 1984.

X Window System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_(company))

LizardRunner
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
ahh, not the story I heard steve tell. But like I mentioned, he was one of the pirates of the 70's. Even bill gates mentioned one time that he stole the idea of windows from Jobs, but those two loved to create stories. So I don't doubt you one bit. I do have a GUI book that was printed in 1981. Me, I'm just an old white hat.

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
ahh, not the story I heard steve tell. But like I mentioned, he was one of the pirates of the 70's. Even bill gates mentioned one time that he stole the idea of windows from Jobs, but those two loved to create stories. So I don't doubt you one bit. I do have a GUI book that was printed in 1981. Me, I'm just an old white hat.

I like to live on the edge, and do some gray hat. I've been through the CEH classes, working on my CISSP. I even had my old employeer convinced to send me to defcon afew years back. I told them it was a security conference.

I'm also a hacker in the truest sense of the word.

LizardRunner
10-05-2011, 09:00 PM
very cool glad to meet ya. I miss the old days, to many black hats these days just messing. I like to look see. way back (I got in to comps when the 360 was king, everyone wanted to learn fortran cause it was the new thing in proging, am I dating myself? lol

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
very cool glad to meet ya. I miss the old days, to many black hats these days just messing. I like to look see. way back (I got in to comps when the 360 was king, everyone wanted to learn fortran cause it was the new thing in proging, am I dating myself? lol

All these black hats want to do is make a fast buck at somebody else's expense.

bluedragon436
10-05-2011, 10:37 PM
RIP Mr. jobs!! He was truly a genius anyway you want to look at it.. I have always love Macs since I owned my first Apple all in one computer.. One of the first pc's, produced..

Mudderoy
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM

GUI = Xerox = Apple = Microsoft...

BlueXJ
10-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I have had very little Apple exposure, but respected the man's mind. He was brilliant and will be missed in this world. Maybe God had a computer problem or needed an excellent IT guy.

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
We had a couple mac pro's at my old office for Graphics & Marketing. I hated making them play nice with Active Directory, but they were pretty slick machines.

I just wish you could get the Apple OS without paying the Apple hardware tax. I'd love to have a legal copy of it. Currently I have a bootleg VM running 10.2 or 10.3.

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
We had a couple mac pro's at my old office for Graphics & Marketing. I hated making them play nice with Active Directory, but they were pretty slick machines.

I just wish you could get the Apple OS without paying the Apple hardware tax. I'd love to have a legal copy of it. Currently I have a bootleg VM running 10.2 or 10.3.

What are you using VMWare, VirtualBox?

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 09:47 AM
What are you using VMWare, VirtualBox?

I drink the Kool Aide that is VMware. It's actually one of my primary technologies at work, so I use it alot at home.

I've got an ubuntu LAMP server at home just for testing and prototyping web content.

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I drink the Kool Aide that is VMware. It's actually one of my primary technologies at work, so I use it alot at home.

I've got an ubuntu LAMP server at home just for testing and prototyping web content.

VMWare is very nice, but I was shocked how good the free alternative is, VirtualBox. I'm considering building a new server for the site and using VirtualBox for Linux to make 2 or 3 virtual machines out of it.

I'm very impressed with LAMP. I don't know how well it scales, but it drives this site very nicely.

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
VMWare is very nice, but I was shocked how good the free alternative is, VirtualBox. I'm considering building a new server for the site and using VirtualBox for Linux to make 2 or 3 virtual machines out of it.

I'm very impressed with LAMP. I don't know how well it scales, but it drives this site very nicely.

VMware is a crack dealer. They'll give you the first taste for free, but then they wanna get paid and nickle & dime you for everything. VMware Player is a nice free product. But it doesn't support dual core's on the host machine, so your VM's are running off of one core and it's usually the core that does all the system stuff.

I have the VM's running on my media server & RDP or VNC to the servers to work on them.

All LAMP us is Linux, Apache, MySQL, & PHP. You can install all of those things standalone. They scale as well as the products scale.

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Steve Jobs = BSOD! :rolleye0012:

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Steve Jobs = BSOD! :rolleye0012:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WRFoxTh1zA8/TUo_Z2Gs1KI/AAAAAAAAACs/MxgT4tLRs7w/s1600/106227_3.jpg