PDA

View Full Version : Lower Door Armor

Mudderoy
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I have some minor damage to my lower doors and rocker. I had planned on putting some aluminum diamond plate from below the side molding down to the, and including the rockers.

I was going to use diamond plate to match the front and rear bumpers. It will be painted black. I was going to use aluminum because it really doesn't have to protect anything since I will be providing that protection with the DETOURS slyders.

I completed the order today, which is just the metal cut into the rough sizes. I'll have to fit and trim to fit once it comes in.

My question is this. Should I try to attach it to the doors and the rockers using glue, 3M RED double sided sticky tape, or stainless steel screws?

I was going to to the stainless steel screws and counter sink them into the aluminum diamond plate. Probably put some glue on the back as well to keep the debris and water out of there.

It will look like this except it will only be on the doors since I have bushwackers and the rear bumper takes care of that area.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=4WD_935.jpg&partNo=W%2fI&w=200&h=200

Except I'm NOT removing the side molding on the doors.

OrangeXJ
10-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The body armor I got for the CJ was made by Warrior. It was installed with pop rivits ( supplied black ) and silicone. It made a good install because the pop rivets were flush with the plate and being black they were hard to see.

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Where did you order the stuff from?

DETOURS
10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
'I' would locate SS rivets (1/8 or 3/16")
Predrill each section, this would be a good time to invest in CLECO's for placement....( go to www.DayMotorSports.com)....they're intended for 1/8" rivets.....go look, you'll understand...if not call me.....

SANDBLAST the aluminum prior to painting, a bedliner spray will act as a divider and warn against chemical reaction and rust....(not that thats a HUGE issue in Texas).....

Use the 3M double sided tape as you may have mentioned.....

Use Black silicone 'OR' Gasket Sealer after the install to seal, GASKET SEALER will 'dull' unlike silicone.....but offer ther same protection.

My 2 cents...........My work is done here! :watermelon:

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
A trick we do in Ohio is prep the panel and then run a bead of sealant along the top and sides, leaving the bottom open. That way any water that may get in will drip out and not get trapped.

Mudderoy
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Where did you order the stuff from?

metalsdepot.com

bluedragon436
10-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah I think the ones that sale like those in the pic are cheap looking.. But I think that using real diamond plate will look real nice... I have seen some real diamond plate used on Wranglers and it looked very nice..

BlueXJ
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Most large cities have a metal source. Even here at the end of the known world we have a few. YP is your friend.

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Most large cities have a metal source. Even here at the end of the known world we have a few. YP is your friend.

YP?

Carves
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Pop rivets and sikaflex or similiar tubegun sticky stuff ...

Check out the bolt & fastener places for rivets that are sealed at one end ... same as what old LandRovers were put together with ... As normal pop rivets are open both ends & leak unless covered in sealant.

You need a good rivet gun for them tho ...

Maybe seal all the outer edges and have a vent hole into the door ??

Looking at your wagon ... I guess your fussy enough to paint any door holes you create ... ;)

Look forward to seeing the finished result ... sounds like a winner to me ...

prcjeep
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
YP= Yellow Pages :D

XJ4IV
10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
car manufacturers use3M red double sided tape for all body molding panels that are to be taped on, I used to work at a body shop installing trim and name badges to vehicles and the 3M product was a requirement by every american manufacturer
The only problem with that is the plate will stick up about 1/16 inch when the pop rivets will suck em flush!

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
car manufacturers use3M red double sided tape for all body molding panels that are to be taped on, I used to work at a body shop installing trim and name badges to vehicles and the 3M product was a requirement by every american manufacturer
The only problem with that is the plate will stick up about 1/16 inch when the pop rivets will suck em flush!

Yep, I think I'm going to the glue and counter sunk stainless steel screws. I won't have to worry about water etc... that way.

DETOURS
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
You should get all your holes drilled prior to mounting or applying tape, otherwise you'll have shavings between the door/diamond plate.

The door skins are not thick enougn to support counter sunk screws of any type.......you'll just be burning day light, consider rivets.......you can get them in RED ya know......;)

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
You should get all your holes drilled prior to mounting or applying tape, otherwise you'll have shavings between the door/diamond plate.

The door skins are not thick enougn to support counter sunk screws of any type.......you'll just be burning day light, consider rivets.......you can get them in RED ya know......;)

I figured the glue would be what held the aluminum and the screws would just be like wearing suspenders with a belt.

DETOURS
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Info comes from experiance........

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/100_6579sml.jpg

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't the world be a much better place if people just did what I said?

DETOURS
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Probably. ;)
or
I could sit here and wait for the post about how one of them flew off in traffic one day on your way to work, clipped a biker, and how you're now being sued for it.......
or
How you went to leave from work one afternoon only to find you panels laying on the ground next to your Jeep, cuzz the heat sponged up the glue on the 2 sided tape.......

Mudderoy
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Probably. ;)
or
I could sit here and wait for the post about how one of them flew off in traffic one day on your way to work, clipped a biker, and how you're now being sued for it.......
or
How you went to leave from work one afternoon only to find you panels laying on the ground next to your Jeep, cuzz the heat sponged up the glue on the 2 sided tape.......

They'll never catch me, well alive! :drinking:

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Whatever you do, I can't wait to see the results.

LizardRunner
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
They'll never catch me, well alive! :drinking:

Just remember, bikers usually have a bunch of other bikers they call brother. Brothers do tend to come to exact revenge on someone that hurts one of their own. I would listen and use closed end SS rivits, the life you save may be your own. I know that texas is fairly full of bikers that wear the Bandito colors. Just saying

Mudderoy
05-28-2012, 11:01 PM
So today was the day...

Used a flapper to get rid of the paint so I could weld the studs

First time using this tool, so I started slow. Man this is easy. At least easy putting the little studs on.

Got it about as far as I was going to. Not nearly where I hoped but really it's my first body work attempt, so it's a learning experience.

Knocked off the rough bits (mostly).

Wiped her down and shot it with primer gray then some PR4 "red" paint (not shown) Looks like hell actually, but it's getting covered.

So I got in a bit of a hurry and forgot the shim I was going to use, if you look carefully you can see where the diamond plate bends in a bit. I'll have to drill out that rivet and work up some sort of shim in there.

All in all it worked out fine. Not as good as I hoped, but I'm not done yet.

I'll probably work on getting patterns made this week and get the three other pieces cut out and ready to install. They should be much easier since they will be smaller.

Once I have them all on I'll determine if I'm going to paint the side molding black, or leave them red.

cantab27
05-28-2012, 11:03 PM
pretty good for first shot mate

Mudderoy
05-28-2012, 11:05 PM
pretty good for first shot mate

I'll get some better pictures in the daylight.

4.3LXJ
05-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I think that will be nice Tony. It will go with the front and rear bumpers.

oderdene
05-29-2012, 03:31 AM
good start and congrats bro, I am not so familiar with this tool, how it works? is it same as slide hammer thing? how do they fixed with sheet metal? weld?

bluedragon436
05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
So far with the pics you got there, it looks good.... Anything done to clean up the bent up rockers helps... and considering it was your first attempt, you can't complain with the results that you got...

Mudderoy
05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Well I ran out of daylight... I really need to get more light in the garage...

But I did get one piece cut, painted and attached.

weaselguys
05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
I added Warrior Prod side panels to mine and then painted over in black bedliner to match my bumpers and that way I didnt have to see the yellow peaking around them.

Mudderoy
05-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I added Warrior Prod side panels to mine and then painted over in black bedliner to match my bumpers and that way I didnt have to see the yellow peaking around them.

Yeah I stood there and looked at it for a good 5 minutes last night. Originally I was going to paint all the red area between the plates and considering painting the side molding. I'm not sure now. I'm going to get the rest of it put on and I'll be able to make a better determination.

The red border looks kind of cool.

prcjeep
05-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Looks good Tony, I think it'll look good white the red borders around it.... leave it that way