PDA

View Full Version : Washer Pitching

prerunner1982
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I posted a picture in the Random Picture thread of a washer pit and asked if anyone knew what the game was. A couple guys from Texas knew, but that was it. I was planning on making a travel version today and thought I would post a picture of it and some general info on the game.

I grew up with a dirt washer court (two pits equal a court) in my back yard. Until recently I have never played with a hard "pit". I prefer the dirt court but it is difficult to carry that much dirt around with you so a wooden "pit" makes more sense.

My washer pits growing up where about 3' square and had a 3" PVC pipe as the "cup" in the middle. The dirt should be level with the top of the cup. Middle of one cup to the middle of another cup is 21'. You stand on or next to one cup and throw 4 washers (2.5" outside diameter with 1" hole in the middle) and try to make it into the other cup. In the cup is 5 points, a hanger (part of washer hanging over the edge of the cup) is 3 points and if nobody scores either of those then nearest the cup is 1 point. You play to 21 points. If opposing players both make it in the cup the points cancel eachother out and you only count the next highest scoring washer. You can play 1 on 1 or team vs team.

I have not made a dirt court at my current home, but plan on doing so, hopefully soon. However, my daughter and I are going on a school camp trip this week and I thought it would be neat to take it with me as I can almost guarantee that very few if any other kids in her school have ever see this game.... most parents probably haven't either. I made a fold up version to take with us. I only made one "pit" to ease transportation. Everyone can just stand behind a line and pitch towards the same cup instead of alternating from one cup to the other. For my travel version I did cover it with carpet I had laying around to help soften the impact and reduce the bounce the washers had. Growing up playing in the dirt pits the washer would pretty much stick where they landed, with the hard surface they tend to bounce off, not so much now.

Also if you search the internet you will find about a dozen different versions of this game.

Here are the pictures.

Laid out ready to play:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=227&pictureid=2608

Folded up for travel:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=227&pictureid=2607

BrianXJ
10-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Its like horse shoes for gear heads.

prerunner1982
10-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Its like horse shoes for gear heads.

I like the way you put it...

Nobody really knows where the game started but growing up I was always told it started in West Texas in the oil field. There were any (or very few) horse ranches, but there were a lot of oil fields and they just used what they had.

prcjeep
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Ive got to get some picturtes of my travel washers set... its bad a$$

Paddletrucker
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I like it. I'll have to give it a whirl. We grew up pitching horse shoes.

And when Mom wasn't looking, pitching pennies.:rolleye0012::rolleye0012::rolleye0012:

Converted96XJ
10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
cool idea. Great looking alternative to horse shoes, or even corn hole!

dagr8tim
10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
A cross between horseshoes & cornhole.

I still want to get a horse shoe pit in next summer.

prcjeep
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
they have some corn hole boards that can be used for washers as well