PDA

View Full Version : Open to LSD Diff

dagr8tim
10-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I've got two 29 spline 8.25's. The one in the Jeep is open, the one from the parts Jeep is LSD. The LSD housing is super rusty. How hard would it be to swap the carrier's and have it set back up?

Could I get it done without pulling the axle from the Jeep?

Mudderoy
10-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I've got two 29 spline 8.25's. The one in the Jeep is open, the one from the parts Jeep is LSD. The LSD housing is super rusty. How hard would it be to swap the carrier's and have it set back up?

Could I get it done without pulling the axle from the Jeep?

The 8.25 uses a long adjustment tool to adjust the carrier side to side in the housing. Also to set how tight it is in there. I can't recall the correct term.

You do not have to take the axle out. It's not hard if you know what you are doing. If you don't it can be devastating. If it's a daily driver I would have someone do it, and that'll run you about $350. If it was me I wouldn't waste the time with a LSD, I would get a locker and have it installed.

dagr8tim
10-02-2011, 03:01 PM
The 8.25 uses a long adjustment tool to adjust the carrier side to side in the housing. Also to set how tight it is in there. I can't recall the correct term.

You do not have to take the axle out. It's not hard if you know what you are doing. If you don't it can be devastating. If it's a daily driver I would have someone do it, and that'll run you about $350. If it was me I wouldn't waste the time with a LSD, I would get a locker and have it installed.

What would a decent mechanical locker run me?

KH96XJ
10-02-2011, 05:14 PM
What would a decent mechanical locker run me?

Not many options for C8.25. I put a detroit in mine and that was about $650 for the locker alone. If I had the money I would have put an ARB in.

prcjeep
10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Everytime I start looking for C 8.25 lockers I remember why i still dont have one... And that's $$$

dagr8tim
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Everytime I start looking for C 8.25 lockers I remember why i still dont have one... And that's $$$

Yeah, suddenly that's making that LSD look better and better.

jeepxj95
10-02-2011, 10:33 PM
how about the tru trac from detroit? i herd thats a good LSD.

Mudderoy
10-03-2011, 12:20 AM
I'd put a lunch box locker in before a LSD, but I'm assuming off road. If it's a daily driver that's different.

bigjim350
10-03-2011, 02:58 AM
The factory 8.25 lsd are great posi's. If it were me I would just clean up the parts axle, make sure the rust hasn't gone too deep, and just toss it in.

bluedragon436
10-03-2011, 04:29 AM
^^ +1!! I have been looking at picking up either a lunchbox locker or a 8.25 posi unit.. for mine.. if it was a wheeler only I might look into picking up a full locker.. cause I def. can't afford an ARB like I would like to have..

LizardRunner
10-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I'll be going with an LSD for my c8.25. if it was just a wheeler or if I had the spare cash, I'd be going D44 and E locker.

dagr8tim
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
If this was a wheeler, I'd just do a Lincoln locker and be done.

Sadly it's still 75% on road.

ParadiseXJ
10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
The factory 8.25 lsd are great posi's. If it were me I would just clean up the parts axle, make sure the rust hasn't gone too deep, and just toss it in.

Me too! If it fails, you still have the other 8.25...if not, you have LSD.

Are we talking about deep rust? Inside? or just cosmetically ugly?

You can work wonders with a wire wheel and some rustoleum.

dagr8tim
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Me too! If it fails, you still have the other 8.25...if not, you have LSD.

Are we talking about deep rust? Inside? or just cosmetically ugly?

You can work wonders with a wire wheel and some rustoleum.

It's pretty bad. I can't get a socket on the pinion nut. In addition to the two 29 spline 8.25's. I've got a 27 spline 8.25 that was sandblasted and painted about 3 years ago, and hasn't be under a jeep in atleast a year (it's been sitting in my garage). All 3 axles are 3.55. I'm wondering if I could save some money by not removing the pinion from my 27 spline housing and dropping the 29 spline carrier in (with new bearings and the 29 spline shafts).

Because I shouldn't have to have the pinion depth done if I don't remove it, right?

dagr8tim
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Ok, I went out and snapped some pics just now.
http://buckeyejeeps.com/albums/trailer/2011_10_04_18_32_17_900.sized.jpg
http://buckeyejeeps.com/albums/trailer/2011_10_04_18_33_00_349.sized.jpg
29 Spline 8.25 LSD out of a 98 XJ Sport
http://buckeyejeeps.com/albums/trailer/2011_10_04_18_33_26_882.sized.jpg
27 Spline 8.25

The 29 spline looks better than I remember. The pinion nut looks pretty good, but the last time I messed with it, I used nearly a full can of PB Blast on it. In any event, my 32mm socket doesn't fit the nut (it's too small). So that makes me wonder if somebody has had the axle apart in the past.

As you can see the 27 spline housing is tons better looking.

saar
10-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Why using a LSD?
It doesn't do much on rocks, it may be good for sand while you can continue driving without stopping.
I would put the locker, not a limited slip.
Saar.

bluedragon436
10-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Yeah that 27 spline does def. look better.. but like was said above.. it isn't heard to wirewheel and repaint the 29 spline to have a better axle and clean looking too..

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah that 27 spline does def. look better.. but like was said above.. it isn't heard to wirewheel and repaint the 29 spline to have a better axle and clean looking too..

You think I could get away with wire brushing it after I strip all the external hardware off? Is there anything you'd suggest after wire brushing it? Prime & paint, or clean it up and use a rust converter?

Why using a LSD?
It doesn't do much on rocks, it may be good for sand while you can continue driving without stopping.
I would put the locker, not a limited slip.
Saar.

Price of a locker is starting at $360. At that I would still have to pay to have the rear end setup. I've got the LSD, and would only have to pay to have the rear end setup.

I know a locker is better, but in this economy, you do what you gotta do.

bluedragon436
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I would def stick with the LSD since you already have it in hand... Setup shouldn't be too much... I'm going to keep looking into the LSDs as well as the lunchbox lockers and see what I can find a better deal on in the end..

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I would def stick with the LSD since you already have it in hand... Setup shouldn't be too much... I'm going to keep looking into the LSDs as well as the lunchbox lockers and see what I can find a better deal on in the end..

If money were no object, I wouldn't mess with the LSD. But being as I have it and I know alot of guys with 8.8's & LSD that do pretty good, I figure why not. If I blow it up, it will either just act like an open diff, or I have a spare.

metaldemon7
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I put a Powertrax in my 8.25, and it never worked right. It would spin one tire worse than the open rear, and torque steer was really bad. Richmond gear kept telling me I broke a tab when I installed it. It came out in the same shape it went in. Then they told me my housing was bad. I wasted money on a part that is collecting dust in my garage. I installed a Auburn LSD with the cone clutches. It works the way I want it to. I get a little chatter out of the clutches once, and a while. If you want a locker you have to pay the piper. If I was going to do more rock climbing I would probably get a locker.

dagr8tim
10-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I put a Powertrax in my 8.25, and it never worked right. It would spin one tire worse than the open rear, and torque steer was really bad. Richmond gear kept telling me I broke a tab when I installed it. It came out in the same shape it went in. Then they told me my housing was bad. I wasted money on a part that is collecting dust in my garage. I installed a Auburn LSD with the cone clutches. It works the way I want it to. I get a little chatter out of the clutches once, and a while. If you want a locker you have to pay the piper. If I was going to do more rock climbing I would probably get a locker.

My XJ's never going to be a dedicated trail rig, and if it is I'll replace the 8.25. I think cleaning up my 8.25 LSD and doing the disk brake conversion on it is probably going to give me the most bang for my buck. Once it's done, I can just swap it when I have a free weekend.

may pop
10-16-2011, 10:10 AM
After removing extraparts. A wire wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder will make it look decent. I like Rust Opeum heavy rust primer 11 bucks a quart. Then 2 coats of Rustopeum gloss black also 11 bucks a quart. It will look good for years and will easely rinse clean. I also live in the RUSTBELT and have done this many times. You can brush or spray the axles I prefer spraying with a 15 buck HF touch up spray gun. Practice first on the sand blasted one to protect it from further rusting. Just before painting I clean the parts off with Brakecleen real good to give the paint a real good "tooth" to stick the surface. One thing about the Rust Opeum is its an oil based paint so if a dab of oil is missed it sort of blends in with the paint instead of repeling the paint. It is really great stuff for the money. Also you can add a little mineral spirits it thin it out some and this will also get it to go into the little nooks an kranies. The best thing is it helps hold down the rust. Better than any other cheap paint Ive found with out sand blasting.
I hope this has given you some hope in reusing the LSD which is the best option spending the least money.
Ron

dagr8tim
10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
After removing extraparts. A wire wheel on a 4 1/2 grinder will make it look decent. I like Rust Opeum heavy rust primer 11 bucks a quart. Then 2 coats of Rustopeum gloss black also 11 bucks a quart. It will look good for years and will easely rinse clean. I also live in the RUSTBELT and have done this many times. You can brush or spray the axles I prefer spraying with a 15 buck HF touch up spray gun. Practice first on the sand blasted one to protect it from further rusting. Just before painting I clean the parts off with Brakecleen real good to give the paint a real good "tooth" to stick the surface. One thing about the Rust Opeum is its an oil based paint so if a dab of oil is missed it sort of blends in with the paint instead of repeling the paint. It is really great stuff for the money. Also you can add a little mineral spirits it thin it out some and this will also get it to go into the little nooks an kranies. The best thing is it helps hold down the rust. Better than any other cheap paint Ive found with out sand blasting.
I hope this has given you some hope in reusing the LSD which is the best option spending the least money.
Ron

Sounds like a plan. Thank you sir.

may pop
10-16-2011, 12:33 PM
If I can find my camera and get my daughter to help me download pictures Ill show my 98s front end rebuild/paint soon.
Ron

Mudderoy
10-16-2011, 12:50 PM
If I can find my camera and get my daughter to help me download pictures Ill show my 98s front end rebuild/paint soon.
Ron

That would be great. Please ask for help if need be. We love pictures and helping with new builds.

dagr8tim
10-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Ron
Serious, I'm sure any of us would be happy to help you get setup to share pics.