PDA

View Full Version : Soaking wet front carpet...

cherokeewrecker
10-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Well a while back now, roughly about 2 months ago while I was on vacation I decided to finally get some things fixed on the jeep. First thing was first, make appt. to get my windshield and rear window replaced. Also to get a couple small rust spots patched on the floor. Well when I was pulling the seats out and console I noticed my front carpet was soaked where the floor mats go. Thought maybe from jumping in and out from working in the rain may have caused it. I get the carpet pulled out and clean the floor and get it patched up in the course of about 3 days( painting the floor, welding in panels, and dyna-matting the floor) and the guy comes to do my windshield, as he just got done getting the seal peeled off and the windshield out I finally found out what was causing the wet carpet... When the previous owner had the windshield replaced they didnt seal it right so it started to rust out my windshild frame all the way around so when it rained the water would go through the sseal and behind my dash down into my carpet. Luckily all I had to do was clean up the windshield frame and it was good to go but wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this as well...

DETOURS
10-01-2011, 06:08 PM
No, but there are well known leaks in the cowl area on some Cherokee's, good you found your issue!:thumbsup:

cherokeewrecker
10-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah I know! It was a pain in the :ass: at first because while I had the windshield out and the interior gutted it rained off and on for about 3 days so that didnt help at all. Plus before I rescued this jeep it was sitting in a garage of an 80 y.o ladies and was in there for 10 years un-registered before I got it so it was very rusty underneath( axlewise, the floor wasnt too bad and rockers are still solid.) But whoever did the windshield before didnt know how to do their job, the guy that came to my house was saying he was shocked it actually stayed in the windshield frame the way it was done...

Converted96XJ
10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
No, but there are well known leaks in the cowl area on some Cherokee's, good you found your issue!:thumbsup:

I pressure washed one time and did alot by the cowl area, had wet carpet in the front afterword... still havent hunted it down. When I redo all my floors next spring ill be finding and fixing all the problem areas.

cherokeewrecker
10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
While I have the jeep in the garage come winter time Im gonna seal the cowl up too, just to rule out both instances incase it ever happens again. Rather be on the safe side than the wet side!:D

prcjeep
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
not sure where I saw it but on one of these forums I remember reading about someone elses xj that had a rusted windshield frame all the way around like you said... Had to grind it down and repaint it so that the new windshield would fit. My carpet on the passenger side used to get wet from the ac dripping in there... Used a wire clothes hanger to clean out the drain tube from the underside

bigjim350
10-02-2011, 02:23 AM
My carpet stays dry......cause its laying in my shop somewhere :D

jccatt
10-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Man that sucks about the rust. That stuff is a pain in the arse. Have you given it a bath in rust killer?

cherokeewrecker
10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Well when I had it out I got out the grinder and smoothed it out, made sure there was no rust then I used etching primer around the whole thing, I still gotta kill a couple rust bubbles that are going up above the windshield come winter time once I got time to do it.

bobalou
04-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I have been getting the soaked, passenger-side carpet also. I put some silicone seal around the windshield, but that didn't stop it. I don't see any rust there either. I suspect it's coming in through the strip between the windshield and the hood (is that the cowl that some have mentioned?) and then through the firewall. It looks like that area's the intake for the ventilation system. Right - I have a lot to learn about my xj. Thanks for any help.

xj4life2
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I have been getting the soaked, passenger-side carpet also. I put some silicone seal around the windshield, but that didn't stop it. I don't see any rust there either. I suspect it's coming in through the strip between the windshield and the hood (is that the cowl that some have mentioned?) and then through the firewall. It looks like that area's the intake for the ventilation system. Right - I have a lot to learn about my xj. Thanks for any help.

you may have a heater core issue

ScottJD96
04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
If you're running your AC you might have a clogged condensate line.

bobalou
04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
If you're running your AC you might have a clogged condensate line.

No, this has only happened when sitting in my driveway, in the rain. We haven't had much rain here since I got the xj (last July) and I have yet to drive it in the rain. I've started covering it when it does rain (no garage.) I didn't get a wet carpet last summer when I used the AC.

I plan to open that grill between the windshield and the hood, which I believe others are calling the cowl. I suspect that it might have accumulated enough debris to clog up any drain that might exist in there ('94 Cherokee mostly parked outside), and cause it to seep through where the blower motor penetrates the firewall. Does this sound reasonable?

Bob

nickxj94
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Well a while back now, roughly about 2 months ago while I was on vacation I decided to finally get some things fixed on the jeep. First thing was first, make appt. to get my windshield and rear window replaced. Also to get a couple small rust spots patched on the floor. Well when I was pulling the seats out and console I noticed my front carpet was soaked where the floor mats go. Thought maybe from jumping in and out from working in the rain may have caused it. I get the carpet pulled out and clean the floor and get it patched up in the course of about 3 days( painting the floor, welding in panels, and dyna-matting the floor) and the guy comes to do my windshield, as he just got done getting the seal peeled off and the windshield out I finally found out what was causing the wet carpet... When the previous owner had the windshield replaced they didnt seal it right so it started to rust out my windshild frame all the way around so when it rained the water would go through the sseal and behind my dash down into my carpet. Luckily all I had to do was clean up the windshield frame and it was good to go but wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this as well...

Both my xjs are leaking from the front windshield, gotta get it fixed soon!

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

ScottJD96
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
No, this has only happened when sitting in my driveway, in the rain. We haven't had much rain here since I got the xj (last July) and I have yet to drive it in the rain. I've started covering it when it does rain (no garage.) I didn't get a wet carpet last summer when I used the AC.

I plan to open that grill between the windshield and the hood, which I believe others are calling the cowl. I suspect that it might have accumulated enough debris to clog up any drain that might exist in there ('94 Cherokee mostly parked outside), and cause it to seep through where the blower motor penetrates the firewall. Does this sound reasonable?

Bob

Sounds like a good plan, hope you find the leak. What about after you get it off and cleaned up run the hose on it and see what happens

bobalou
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a good plan, hope you find the leak. What about after you get it off and cleaned up run the hose on it and see what happens

That's what I have in mind. I'll report back on the results. But...ironically we're having a rainy spell right now, and since I don't need to drive it, I'm keeping the Jeep covered so it won't leak. I want to allow for a couple of sunny days in case I have any problems doing this.

Bob

That's the plan. I'll report back after. Ironically, we are now having a rainy spell. I'm waiting for a few sunny days, in case I have tto leave it open for a while.

Firemanray
04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
All the suggestions above sound like possible sources for your leak. Mine is soaking wet, most likely due to the fact I went to the carwash and washed the INSIDE with the high pressure washer!!!