PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Mechanic's opinions welcome

Paddletrucker
09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Well, I thought I was going to get to start working seriously on the XJ after a kick butt month of trucking. Not to be, I guess.

A couple of nights ago, my faithful old '96 Freightliner quit. It did the craziest thing. It just started pumping fuel overboard from the tanks and missing like an injector was out. IT was jetting air back into the tanks through the fuel pickup tubes in the tanks. Looked like a hot tub jet. Mechanics at Caterpillar can't figure it out.

I've put well over a million miles on this truck myself. This is the first time she hasn't brought me home. In talking to the previous owner, this is the first time it's ever been on a wrecker. Broke my heart. Can't say she's never been on a hook any longer.

First, I had to arrange to get someone hired to pick up my trailer and deliver the load. I'll figure out how to get the trailer home later.

All of this sure looks expensive. I can't wait to get this bill!! Road side service where the mechanic didn't do anything and a 250 mile tow? Yeah. Can't wait.

'Ol Snowflake down for the count. I almost cried seeing my beloved old truck this way.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0702.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0704.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0706.jpg

Hooked her up and hauled her home. The mechanics at Caterpillar are stumped. Nobody seems to have ever seen what she's doing. I'm sure all the "exploratory surgery" won't be free, either.

'Ol Snowflake lookin' sad.:cry::cry:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0708.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0711-1.jpg

I'm not too sure what hurts worse, this being the first time since I've been in business I haven't completed the load myself, not being able to brag anymore that 'Ol Snowflake hasn't seen a hook in 1.7 MILLION miles, or the bills I KNOW will come rolling in before long.

Road side service at 2AM, hook and tow a semi 250 miles, hire another company to deliver the load, hire another guy to bring my trailer home, repairs, rental tractor so I can keep working...........

I'm thinking I'll be buying fewer Jeep parts this month than I'd planned. :cry::cry:

4.3LXJ
09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
So you have a Cat engine in Snowflake?

Paddletrucker
09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Yup, a 3176B 350hp Cat.:rotfl2: With my 3.90 gears and 18 speed tranny, it's a real ground pounder. :rolleyes::p It's been a good little reliable engine, but it's not any kind of powerhouse.

I got it back a bit ago. Apparently, when Freightliner put in the injector I lost last week, they just put everything back together hand tight, got busy on something else, and then came back later and buttoned it all up. They neglected to torque down the hold down bolt. So, the three O-rings that seal the injector in blew out from around the hand tight injector and allowed air around them, into the rail and back into the tank. So, a 250 mile tow, a road side after hours service call, lost revenue, and a bunch of stress can all be attributed to the incompetence of my Local Freightliner Stealership.:mad::mad:

I normally wouldn't use them, but I was in a tight spot last week. I figured ANY mechanic that works on diesel engines OUGHT to be able to install an injector. I was wrong, I guess. That makes 100% of the things I've taken to them done wrong. I've had issues there before, but it was years ago. I figured they'd surely gotten their issues straight after a few years. Again, I was wrong. Anyone who ever might be coming through Oklahoma and need a diesel engine worked on STEER VERY FAR AWAY FROM Freightliner of Tulsa! I wouldn't go back there to let them work on my Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine.

I'll be going down there first thing in the morning to talk about my lost revenue with them. They're not going to enjoy my visit.;):mad::sign0055:

4.3LXJ
09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. I wouldn't have figured on that. I had a few other ideas to look at on the fuel system.

FYI, I had a 3208 in a Ford one ton. It was tight, but very cool. Lost it in a shop fire.

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Yup, a 3176B 350hp Cat.:rotfl2: With my 3.90 gears and 18 speed tranny, it's a real ground pounder. :rolleyes::p It's been a good little reliable engine, but it's not any kind of powerhouse.

I got it back a bit ago. Apparently, when Freightliner put in the injector I lost last week, they just put everything back together hand tight, got busy on something else, and then came back later and buttoned it all up. They neglected to torque down the hold down bolt. So, the three O-rings that seal the injector in blew out from around the hand tight injector and allowed air around them, into the rail and back into the tank. So, a 250 mile tow, a road side after hours service call, lost revenue, and a bunch of stress can all be attributed to the incompetence of my Local Freightliner Stealership.:mad::mad:

Does that mean that simply tightening up the injector will fix the issue? No long term problems? If so this is great news.
I normally wouldn't use them, but I was in a tight spot last week. I figured ANY mechanic that works on diesel engines OUGHT to be able to install an injector. I was wrong, I guess. That makes 100% of the things I've taken to them done wrong. I've had issues there before, but it was years ago. I figured they'd surely gotten their issues straight after a few years. Again, I was wrong. Anyone who ever might be coming through Oklahoma and need a diesel engine worked on STEER VERY FAR AWAY FROM Freightliner of Tulsa! I wouldn't go back there to let them work on my Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine.

I'll be going down there first thing in the morning to talk about my lost revenue with them. They're not going to enjoy my visit.;):mad::sign0055:

LizardRunner
09-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Man that sucks. At least you got it sorted out and snowflake is on the road again. I'm glad for that. I hope that stealership does the right thing and give you the reembursement like they ought to. I thought freightliner was a good company before hearing this.