PDA

View Full Version : Random Phone Call......

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I logged into my gmail account this morning only to see I could use gmail to make phone calls.......this might be old news, but so I down loaded and called the house through gmail. I got stuck talking to my wife, but besides that she said it sounded normal and the caller ID said "Cell Phone-California"........kinda interesting, but it dosent seem to assign you a phone #,
so it's pretty one sided.

Anyone else use this option?
What other options have you found?

I do have a Magicjack I sometimes use as well, those are pretty good with a return number assigned, no bad for 20 smackers a year.

Mudderoy
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I logged into my gmail account this morning only to see I could use gmail to make phone calls.......this might be old news, but so I down loaded and called the house through gmail. I got stuck talking to my wife, but besides that she said it sounded normal and the caller ID said "Cell Phone-California"........kinda interesting, but it dosent seem to assign you a phone #,
so it's pretty one sided.

Anyone else use this option?
What other options have you found?

I do have a Magicjack I sometimes use as well, those are pretty good with a return number assigned, no bad for 20 smackers a year.

rofl. Did she know it was you? :spongebob: :mock:

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Yea.....she was on the front porch when it rang, looked over and yelled "IS THAT YOU?"........:o

Mudderoy
09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Yea.....she was on the front porch when it rang, looked over and yelled "IS THAT YOU?"........:o

lol technology! That call traveled 2700 miles from your shop to Google then 2700 miles back to just 50 feet away from where you were. Love it.

bluedragon436
09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I have heard about this.. but haven't messed with it.. as one the internet connection is crap here.. and two... I hate that it doesn't give you a return number..

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Yea, I was'nt sure if I overlooked something or what.......My interweb connection is prehistoric as it's a wireless Motorola antenna system for this area.........but it worked fine. A return number would make this a winner!

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Another downside.........people dont know who you are when you call. (Tony)

Mudderoy
09-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Another downside.........people dont know who you are when you call. (Tony)

I'm adding you to the GOOD list. Okay I'm lying, you'll be added to the NO SO BAD list. ;)

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Is that spanish?

LizardRunner
09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
:) when folks come in to my office and I discover they are from south of the border I just smile and say "Hola,se habla engliess no habla espanol"

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Used it a number of times today........people think I'm on vacation in California! lol.......prankster....:rolleye0012:

toebee97
09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
That's a Google Voice plugin that integrates with your Gmail. You can set the whole thing up yourself, you can even choose your own number from a list of available numbers. You can have any phone number forwarded to it, or any number forwarded from it as well. You can even have it forwarded to multiple lines at once, like for example, your work, home, and cell would all ring when someone called your Google Voice number. Then you can give out your Google Voice number to people, without giving away your personal numbers. Then if you don't want to talk to them, you simply disable Google Voice. You can also use it for voicemail. I use it and I would never go back to At&t VM. I know I sound like a spokesperson lol, but I'm just a satisfied user.
https://voice.google.com

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
It that the 'upgrade' version you're speaking of?

toebee97
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Not sure, I set mine up quite a while ago, can't remember what the setup screen looks like. It's all free though, all it cost is time to set it up.

Mudderoy
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I use google voice for the xjtalk comments and questions line. I have it set so it doesn't ring my phone, I just get notification when someone leaves a message.

toebee97
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I use google voice for the xjtalk comments and questions line. I have it set so it doesn't ring my phone, I just get notification when someone leaves a message.
Also, if you use GTalk for chatting I believe there is Google Voice plugin that gives it a skype-like function.

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I'll have to poke around I guess......

toebee97
09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
I'll have to poke around I guess......
It's something to do for me mostly. I'm one of those guys that has to try out everything out there, and my devices all have to be all they can possibly be lol. That's why I'm always screwin with my phones and computers lol. If I could make a living doin it I would :rolleyes:

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
YOU'RE HIRED!!
Actually, it 'is' in the upgrade area...........:thumbsup:

DETOURS
09-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Okay.....so thats kool, got me a new phone number with the word JEEP in it.....:thumbsup:

If you do this, it's free and easy as mentioned.........dont over think it, that makes it a slow process.

Thanks toebee!:thumbsup: