PDA

View Full Version : Which tires to run.

KH96XJ
09-25-2011, 09:21 PM
I currently have a set of BFG 33" A/T that are probably about 80% tread left I bought of a local club member earlier this year. Yesterday I picked up a set of 31" Swamper TSL with only 700 miles on them on some black D window steel wheels at a price that I couldn't pass up. I need to let one set go, if they were the same size I would just jeep the TSL's. Knowing that the TSL will give better performance off road, is that 1 and 1/2" clearance going to make enough difference to most of you to keep the BFG's?

Firemanray
09-25-2011, 10:22 PM
You better try the tsl's first if you drive on the road much. I bought a set and they are horrible on the hi-way. I put my at's on an extra set of wheels so i can swap back and forth.

bluedragon436
09-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I would say that the BFG's would be way better for the road at least.. as the TSL's are horrible on the road.. about the only place they are worth thier weight so to speak is offroad.. but is it really worth it for dealing with the onroad time??

KH96XJ
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
My jeep is going to end up spending the majority of the time off road in the near future. Most all of the parks are about two hours away so it will get towed when I can arrange it. Other than that the other places, just to play around, where I'm at locally has the black clay dirt so the A/T's wont be of much use in it. I plan on throwing them on and driving around for a little bit, but was mainly going for performance vs size for trail use opinions.

prcjeep
09-25-2011, 11:50 PM
selling the AT's? how much? I'm interested in all 4... or 2 if you'ld let me
but I would say that if your gong to be running it on the street often then to keep the at's cuz they do great on street and moderate offroad with except to clay/mud. I dont have experience with the tsl's.

Metlic53
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
ive got a set of 32'' tsl's and i swap my BFG at/s back and forth. Theres no way i can run them on the highway, they get ate up too fast, plus i turn corners really hard and they slide instead of grabbing, and their heavy!

Firemanray
09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Oh and by the way the TSL's are like cat claws, they'll go thru, over, and around anything.

4.3LXJ
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I ran some TSLs for awhile. Horrible noise, lousy traction on pavement. But a very good off road tire. I only used them for off road. I had other tires for the highway. Then I gave them to my son who used them a couple of times on his XJ and now they are on the Mighty Mite. Might be a fourth rig in their future.

KH96XJ
09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
After driving on them today I've confirmed what I already knew about the tires. However the traction on pavement was worse than I expected. I'm not planning on driving them much on road, but I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and ditch them for the safety factor based on what limited street driving I will be doing.

cantab27
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh and by the way the TSL's are like cat claws, they'll go thru, over, and around anything.

just like driving a green jeep ray...............:rolleye0012: