PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure

melitonxj88
09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
The https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=4faa818a32&view=att&th=13297708f67cd359&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw of my 2001 Jeep Classic okay? maximum moves slightly

bigjim350
09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
I can't see the pic.

jeepxj95
09-23-2011, 11:09 PM
me either

melitonxj88
09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5906/img003452011092312421.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/img003452011092312421.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

THIS GOOD OIL PRESSURE?
ALWAYS IN 5 AND SOMETIMES 3
IT HAS FULL OIL , MORE THAN IT REQUIREDS
THIS WILL BRING SOME PROBLEMAS? OR JUST WAIT TILL THE OIL CONSUME

SORRY MY BAD ENGLISH

saar
09-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Looks weird.
Mine moves from ~2 (idle) to ~3.5 (driving) .
Saar

Mudderoy
09-25-2011, 09:38 AM
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5906/img003452011092312421.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/img003452011092312421.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

THIS GOOD OIL PRESSURE?
ALWAYS IN 5 AND SOMETIMES 3
IT HAS FULL OIL , MORE THAN IT REQUIREDS
THIS WILL BRING SOME PROBLEMAS? OR JUST WAIT TILL THE OIL CONSUME

SORRY MY BAD ENGLISH

Yeah on my 98 and 99 the needle is around 1/4 scale after everything is warm at idle and a little more that 1/2 the scale while driving down the road. Full over like that is strange, at least compared to my 2. But then again my gauges are psi 0 to 80 psi

jeepxj95
09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Yeah on my 98 and 99 the needle is around 1/4 scale after everything is warm at idle and a little more that 1/2 the scale while driving down the road. Full over like that is strange, at least compared to my 2. But then again my gauges are psi 0 to 80 psi

same scale just metric. my 90 does the samething 80 to im guessin 85 psi cold then do to 40 or so then when its been running for a while like a hour its finally down to 20 psi all at idle. oh and pressuse bypass in the oil pump is like 75 psi i think. and my 95 and my dads 96 zj both run the same pressuse as urs does tony

LizardRunner
09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Wow my oil pressure runs from 40 to 65 psi. And I still have to get a new rear seal and Install it.

melitonxj88
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
The problem is that i had to much oil.
thanks for your comments !! JEEP JEEP JEEP TILL I DIE

jeepxj95
09-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Wow my oil pressure runs from 40 to 65 psi. And I still have to get a new rear seal and Install it.

so do i on the 95. do u think the pressure wil raise at all???

LizardRunner
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
glad you found out what was causing that Meliton, over filling can cause problems. Mike, my oil pressure stays like that no matter what I'm doing, when I got it I had the oil passages cleaned. I used a teflon oil for a change and ran it for two weeks. then a mechanic friend did some sort of "motor flush" to clean up the engine internals, I don't know what he used. after that he ran some brushes through the oil channels he could get to easily and used a light weight oil to flush that gunk out. Then we put in the castrol 10w40. I used up four oil filters doing this process. I was afraid I'd be a mosquito smoker after doing it but I don't have any oil coming out of the tail pipe. Talk about luck, considering this motor has a little over 240k on it now.

pikapp504
10-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm sure I'm just overanalyzing things, but before I took a long-ish road trip (from western VA to Norfolk and back), my OP would be about 51-55psi when cruising (60-75mph). Now that I'm back home, anytime I drive, when cruising at 60-65, my OP only goes to like 42-50. It also sorta fluctuates if I'm constantly cruising at the same speed. It'll go up to 50psi, then back down like 42ish, then back up to 48-50. It used to be when I first fired it up (cold start), it'd go up to around 50-52 and under acceleration it'd go up to almost 60. Hot idle is around 28-30. I checked the oil level, it's still full (not over filled) and it's nice and golden. I'm VERY paranoid about the damn head (00-01 0331 head) and I keep an eagle eye on my coolant levels. They do go down a bit after a looong drive, but once topped back up, they're fine for a while (I also keep checking under the cap to see if there's any milkshake or a crack.....none to either). My question is, am I just being paranoid about my OP? Possibly just the oil "breaking down" since it's regular Mobil 5000 10W-30 and it's been about ~1800-2000 miles since my last oil change?

LizardRunner
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
that could very well be the op sensor causing that. long drives probably help the oil clean any gunk off the end of it and then when you get back to in town driving for any length of time it might start building up again. The mechanic that serviced mine removed that sensor and said it was really caked up but now that it's clean it doesn't fluctuate like it did when I first got my xj.

prcjeep
10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Ive replaced my op sensor a couple times on mine... The ones I got at oreillys auto were cheap and can only be tightened so much otherwise they wont read. Also if not tightened enough it wont read either. So my experience is that the things go bad and are not very accurate in the first place

dagr8tim
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Mine's between 40 & 50 PSI depending on how old the oil is when driving. After warmed up and at a stop, I'm running about 20 PSI. A rule of thumb is 10 PSI per 1000 RPM's.

I realize the OP has a metric gauge, but there are pictures of an imperial gauge to get a feel for where that is. Also, I wouldn't fully trust the dash gauge. If you have a question, hook up a mechanical gauge.

LizardRunner
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
The only absolute way to get accurate Oil Pressure is with a good mechanical gauge. I prefer VDO brand myself and intend to go to all VDO mechanical gauges in the future. with a custom dash panel to hold them.

Converted96XJ
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
The only absolute way to get accurate Oil Pressure is with a good mechanical gauge. I prefer VDO brand myself and intend to go to all VDO mechanical gauges in the future. with a custom dash panel to hold them.

VDO FTW here. I ran VDO gauges in my VW's and it was the ONLY thing I ran. Only thing is they were not mechanical. But I always loved VDO gauges. And I may have missed it but how much extra oil did you have in there? In my VW on a 0-5 bar gauge it would run at 5 for a few minutes, then drop, then eventually run around 1 while idling.. i know totally different ball game but running at 5 would seem normal to me on initial warmup.

pikapp504
10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm fully aware the OE gauge isn't that accurate. It's just, I got used to the pressures being where they are for 1500 miles, then after a long drive, they're lower @ cruising speed (~5-9psi lower...according to the gauge). All your responses help me feel a bit more at ease, so thanks!

Converted96XJ
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
not that I had to much of any input... but your welcome!

modestmar00xj
10-05-2011, 03:36 PM
lol, 200 MPH what is going on here! and no Engine temp.!?

pvt.tadpolxj
10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey thank's for the oil pressure thread... I can say i have tried about three diffrent brand's of oil and i started using Valvoline oil. After that my oil pressure has been a lot better and consistent...Maybe this will help somebody..

dagr8tim
10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey thank's for the oil pressure thread... I can say i have tried about three diffrent brand's of oil and i started using Valvoline oil. After that my oil pressure has been a lot better and consistent...Maybe this will help somebody..

I find I get the best results with Castrol GTX High Mileage in my 97 with 276K.

LizardRunner
10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
since I got da lizard it's only had castrol 10-40 in it. from what I've read on other forums, before I found xjtalk, the 4.0 is rather quirky about what oils it likes. Some people seem to swear by the expensive as all get out Royal Purple, some swear by Valvoline synthetic, and on and on. I think the way to go is to stick with what every you like in your engines. When I was racing cars they would have what ever brand the team was sponsored by in them (along with about 50% stp in lots of cases). When I ended up with the lola team we had castrol as a sponsor and I suppose it is because I never had one engine problem from that relation ship along with the fact they were the oil sponsor for all my baja 1000 jaunts that I stick with their products now. I'm pretty sure that most of the top brands are equal or so close to equal it doesn't really matter. The exception would probably be Amsoil, but I don't feel like spending the money for it since I haven't had any problems with the Castrol.

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
since I got da lizard it's only had castrol 10-40 in it. from what I've read on other forums, before I found xjtalk, the 4.0 is rather quirky about what oils it likes. Some people seem to swear by the expensive as all get out Royal Purple, some swear by Valvoline synthetic, and on and on. I think the way to go is to stick with what every you like in your engines. When I was racing cars they would have what ever brand the team was sponsored by in them (along with about 50% stp in lots of cases). When I ended up with the lola team we had castrol as a sponsor and I suppose it is because I never had one engine problem from that relation ship along with the fact they were the oil sponsor for all my baja 1000 jaunts that I stick with their products now. I'm pretty sure that most of the top brands are equal or so close to equal it doesn't really matter. The exception would probably be Amsoil, but I don't feel like spending the money for it since I haven't had any problems with the Castrol.

You have to remember the 4.0 is an old school design with a flat tappet cam. Those types of engines tend to like oil with higher zink contents. Thus why rotella 15w40 is a good alternative. Or a quart of break in oil with 5 quarts of regular oil.

Most modern engines do not have nearly enough zink for a 4.0.

LizardRunner
10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes I've read that.. but I also read the labels on everything. I have even been known to be additive concious. I have had a vehicle which got a lead additive for the fuel every fillup because it was ancient and didn't have the newer valve seats in the heads. Only stopped using the additive when I finally got around to getting a new valve job and had the new style valve seats installed.

pvt.tadpolxj
10-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought i would let you know the reason i use valvoline is i researched some of the oil's on the internet and found that valvoline provide's more oil's that are very high in Zinc & Phosphorus. Espeacially the VR1. oil's One of the VR1 oil's is a street legal oil. I gaurantee you that will make it run good.....But alway's stay with the proper weight grade oil's.....Here in Texas My location it is difficult to find the 10w30 grade but there is one place....