PDA

View Full Version : It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ...

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I thought I would dedicate this thread to all those things we do that the general public just doesn't understand. So I will start off with this:

When I was 17 my car of choice to drive everywhere was a 1942 Ford GPW military Jeep. We had changed windshields on it and put a CJ2A top on it and some genuine 6.00X16 snow tires on it and down the road I went. One day I was sitting in a restaurant with a couple of girls (yes there are girls that like Jeeps). One was my steady and the other was her good friend. In walks this guy and says that the "shortcut" was impassable and was going to be closed. Well, that was like a red flag to a bull. I said, nothing is impassable, lets go drive it. So we got in and off we went. We lived at 6000' elevation and had to go to 7200' at the top. It was snowing enough that they didn't have anywhere else to push the snow and the road was getting narrow. Going up was not much problem, so what is the big deal. But the brand new windshield wiper I had put in was getting so it made a narrower and narrower swipe. Finally it quit altogether even though the motor was running. But I had a great idea, I just had the girlfriend reach out through the vent in the center and work the wiper with her hand. After a few minutes she said her hand was cold. Personally, I didn't see what the problem was :smiley-laughing021: She just wouldn't do it anymore. So not wanting to spend any more time up there we headed down by braille. I kept the right front wheel a few inches in the snow bank until we got back to town where I could walk home if I needed to. About a 1/4 mile from town I got too much wheel in the snow bank and the Jeep just went straight up to the top of it and took a chunk out of the top and flopped down on its side. We climbed out and thought we were really busted on this one. Then the Highway Patrol showed up. Now I am really busted. But I already had a chain hooked up to a handle on the outside of the Jeep and convinced him to let me hook it on his push bar and we pulled it back over. He was amazed it started right up. And back to town we went. The only way you could tell we flopped was the tell tale foot prints on the side of the top. It is a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
:confused: well this is my first jeep but I'm really learning what "it's a jeep thing" means. Since my "dirt" rides of old were Ford Bronco's fitted out for desert racing.

But: I did have a buddy (bobby) who owned a CJ. I bet we rolled that sucker at least ten different times because of bitting off more than he could drive. His dad got so tired of us fixing it up in the garage that he made bobby let me drive when we went off roading. (we called it Dent) Of course we then started trying harder trails in the Serria Nevadas and I remember twice having to hike to a phone to get my dad to bring me some extra gear and chains so we could winch out cause what we had with us wasn't long enough to reach something to attach to. My dad never told on us to bobby's dad, not even the time I sank us in a snow melt stream and we got wedged between two ponderosa pine trees. It took a chain saw to get out that time. My dad just about broke a rib from laughing so hard.